Mid life crisis career change… Remote jobs?

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m in the same boat albeit making significantly less.

I don’t see how I’ll be alive with another 20 years of being a 911 paramedic.

In wi we are seeing significant amounts of people who put many years in the system leave because of burnout and stress.

I’m starting to think it’s not worth it.

I’m in the same boat albeit making significantly less.

I don’t see how I’ll be alive with another 20 years of being a 911 paramedic.

In wi we are seeing significant amounts of people who put many years in the system leave because of burnout and stress.

I’m starting to think it’s not worth it.
Seems like the healthcare theme, on some level, is burnout.
BUT ya'll are appreciated!
Hang in there. I'm 21 years in, PA-C, so I hear ya. Just haven't figured out another pathway....yet.
I enjoy what I do but I wouldn't mind doing less of it at this point. Maybe 2 shifts a week and picking up something new on the side to break up the monotony.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of opportunities out there in aviation. Helicopters, drones, private, local, etc. (I know you'd have to get re-qualified for some of those things). I knew a guy who flew local from Denver to the regionals around Colorado and picked up some instructor classes on the weekend. He seemed to do well financially and was never too late getting home for dinner.

I would start by reaching out to some people you know (like your NCO buddy) and get a solid direction on where you want your career to go. Also, try and figure out if your priority is moving to a new place or getting a new job. This will help make your decision for you.
Wow that's great.. I will look into that.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I will start by saying what you feel is exactly what the vast majority of firefighters feel with your time/age. The job is past the learning and novelty phase, there is a long way to go, and you aren't challenged. Take a promotional exam. Become an officer, become a prevention inspector, become a training instructor. Do something other than show up and run calls. You need a challenge and stimulation. I have seen this a thousand times, literally. Guys with your time either become brutally bitter and a pain in the ass for the rest of their career or they promote and grow. Seniority? That’s the game, you will have it back in no time.
I talk to you from 32 years experience and as the Deputy Chief of Operations of a major liberal city department. We deal with your frustrations ten fold. And don’t think I’m some career administrator. My career was spent at what was the busiest firehouse in America at the time. I worked and swore I would never be a Chief. Well, here I am, and more satisfied and challenged than ever. Take advantage of the career you have. You will be rewarded in ways you never imagined.

WKR
I'll chime in. The salary doesn't always tell the tale. My wife makes good money but by the time you deduct federal, state, 401K, health insurance, dental, basic insurance policy for the family, she only brings home 55% of her gross. They salary looks great but the net is a different story. Not to mention Biden/inflation.
Are you under the impression that those expenses are unique to you? We all have taxes, health insurance, etc. Many of us pay 100% of it without an employer paying a dime and then get the added bonus of paying both sides of FICA!

Rich M

WKR
I'll chime in. The salary doesn't always tell the tale. My wife makes good money but by the time you deduct federal, state, 401K, health insurance, dental, basic insurance policy for the family, she only brings home 55% of her gross. They salary looks great but the net is a different story. Not to mention Biden/inflation.

Good point. Seems like everyone has those burdens tho.

There are a lot of folks who make less who raise families and save for retirement. All I'm saying is that the more $ made, the less painful it is. That's all.

So some guys want to get out of the paramedic field and not want to be a fireman. The states have diff agencies you can likely transfer into - DEP, DOT, cities and towns, etc. where the pension may be maintained. Building, zoning inspectors, and such. Something that may be possible - that's all.

Lawnboi

WKR
Seems like the healthcare theme, on some level, is burnout.
BUT ya'll are appreciated!
Hang in there. I'm 21 years in, PA-C, so I hear ya. Just haven't figured out another pathway....yet.
I enjoy what I do but I wouldn't mind doing less of it at this point. Maybe 2 shifts a week and picking up something new on the side to break up the monotony.
I don’t envy anyone in healthcare currently. Lots looking for a way out. In the mean time more is being expected of those still doing it, making it worse.

The modern fire service, atleast where I am it. Is completely broken. The number of open positions is insane compared to 10 years ago. It’s not even the same job it was when I started

Are you under the impression that those expenses are unique to you? We all have taxes, health insurance, etc. Many of us pay 100% of it without an employer paying a dime and then get the added bonus of paying both sides of FICA!
Hell no.
But some look at a salary and think one is living a life style that they can't o/w they wouldn't make disillusioned comments. Clarification statement for those in the need. You are not in the need.

OP
B
Hey guys, let’s not let this get side tracked. Every geographic area, career, etc has their nuances with pay.

My take home last year was ~70k.

Like I said, we do well, and I didn’t start this thread to bitch about my pay, but it certainly isn’t crazy life changing money.

OP
B
I will start by saying what you feel is exactly what the vast majority of firefighters feel with your time/age. The job is past the learning and novelty phase, there is a long way to go, and you aren't challenged. Take a promotional exam. Become an officer, become a prevention inspector, become a training instructor. Do something other than show up and run calls. You need a challenge and stimulation. I have seen this a thousand times, literally. Guys with your time either become brutally bitter and a pain in the ass for the rest of their career or they promote and grow. Seniority? That’s the game, you will have it back in no time.
I talk to you from 32 years experience and as the Deputy Chief of Operations of a major liberal city department. We deal with your frustrations ten fold. And don’t think I’m some career administrator. My career was spent at what was the busiest firehouse in America at the time. I worked and swore I would never be a Chief. Well, here I am, and more satisfied and challenged than ever. Take advantage of the career you have. You will be rewarded in ways you never imagined.
Thanks chief, taking the promotional soon… I haven’t studied for it as much as I should and frankly don’t plan on getting made this time around, but if I do stick it out I plan on buckling down and making the leap, at least for the last few years.

As for the burnout, it’s certainly a factor. I do the dive team and the TEMS team which helps a little, but it sometimes seems like just another thing to stay on top of. I’ve always prided myself on having a good attitude, and have certainly seen the results of and taken some collateral flack from guys who were burnt out. I don’t want to turn into that… But we’re all human and I’m certainly feeling it.

OP
B
Have you considered looking into flying a firefighting helo?
Don’t have the hrs. Most places want 2500+ of turbine time. I’m at 750 or so.

That said with the pilot shortage things are changing in the rotary wing world. In 3 years it might be possible to get a full time rotary wing pilot gig in either EMS or firefighting.

Yoder

WKR
Everyone here is in the exact same boat. Some make way less and probably have zero sympathy. My point is, the money does not make me hate my job any less.

peterk123

WKR
I retired at 54. I made a career change at age 34. I had two kids, wife worked part time and I had a mortgage when I did.

Money is relevant to a point. $100k, 200k, 400k, it's never enough.

Money should not drive your decision. Quality of life for you and your family should. Ya money plays a part, but less than you think. Plus you are young so you can pivot. In your fifties it's a different story.

Doesn't matter how much you make if you stroke out at age 40 from stress on the job. And ya, stress is the cause of most ills. 98% of all who work probably hate their job. It's why it's called work.

This is probably the worst place to come for career advice. But here it goes. Your happiness comes down to the choices you make, not your hourly rate. Find a place that lines up with your personal and moral values, in a location that meets the personal interests of you and your family. You will have to sacrifice and possibly earn less. You guys make big money, especially when you lump in benefits. Having insurance coverage is huge. I don't look at it as a cut in pay because I have to kick in part of my pay. I look at the part the company pays as additional income. Try being self employed. Or live in a rural area where you have to pay for all of your coverage. Be true to yourselves.... can you do with less? Most are not willing to cut the chord, so to speak.

We decided to do with WAY less. I've never been happier. I learned that I just don't need stuff. I just need fresh air and solitude.

lanruc

FNG
I would definitely wait out the 3 years to lock in your 30% pension. Don't throw away that kind of free money. Then make a long term move more in line with how and where you want to live your life. But remember in the end, work is work. Don't hold it up to the pedestal of your hobbies. It will inevitably get boring and tedious in many aspects. I hear the same sentiment from pilots and medical friends and experience the same myself. I've gone scuba diving in tropical paradise and the divemasters are bored out of their mind doing the exciting thing I love to do on vacation. So find a job that accomplishes something responsible and productive, that you can enjoy at least some aspects of, and can be good at. Get something with job security. I have no experience with remote jobs but its a relatively newer entry into the economy and no guarantee it will be the same 10-20 years from now so I'm not sure I would want both incomes counting on that kind of a job if the economy turns south in a bigger way. That being said no harm in trying something new if its a great set up. In the end, have lots of great hobbies and recreational outlets and work will be much more tolerable when you have a lot of other fun and meaningful things in life. Especially when you have a nice job that allows you to pursue your "outside" life.

OP
B
I retired at 54. I made a career change at age 34. I had two kids, wife worked part time and I had a mortgage when I did.

Money is relevant to a point. $100k, 200k, 400k, it's never enough.

Money should not drive your decision. Quality of life for you and your family should. Ya money plays a part, but less than you think. Plus you are young so you can pivot. In your fifties it's a different story.

Doesn't matter how much you make if you stroke out at age 40 from stress on the job. And ya, stress is the cause of most ills. 98% of all who work probably hate their job. It's why it's called work.

This is probably the worst place to come for career advice. But here it goes. Your happiness comes down to the choices you make, not your hourly rate. Find a place that lines up with your personal and moral values, in a location that meets the personal interests of you and your family. You will have to sacrifice and possibly earn less. You guys make big money, especially when you lump in benefits. Having insurance coverage is huge. I don't look at it as a cut in pay because I have to kick in part of my pay. I look at the part the company pays as additional income. Try being self employed. Or live in a rural area where you have to pay for all of your coverage. Be true to yourselves.... can you do with less? Most are not willing to cut the chord, so to speak.

We decided to do with WAY less. I've never been happier. I learned that I just don't need stuff. I just need fresh air and solitude.
This seems like sage advice. The last line there really resonates with me.

Thanks

OP
B
My god I had no idea firefighters made that kind of money. I know people with legitimate professional degrees that don’t do that well.

You’d be crazy to leave and expect anything close to that.
Trust me, I’m well aware I’m in the top percentage of salaries with regards to firefighters. There is a reason I have a good degree, military officer experience, etc and have stuck around.

But as discussed, money is only part of the equation to a fulfilling life and career.

I realize leaving and living where we want to might be a significant pay cut. If it wasn’t, it would be a no brainer.

Will_m

WKR
I’ll only add this because I’ve been there, but when you have the means, it’s easy to think you can do with less if you had more job satisfaction. Then when you do, the table turns back around. Stressing about money or feeling like you can’t even enjoy time away from work due to money SUCKS.