Mid-Layer Shootout Review ***Updated 2/18/23***

TBOArcher

FNG
Gents - the fine folks from Rokslide have asked me to do a mid-layer shootout and I agreed. We were hoping to complete it in the Spring when the weather was more favorable (cooler temps), but were waiting on a few additional mid-layers. We still haven't received the Kuiu 240 yet.

Thus far we've got the First Lite Origin hoody, Sitka Heavyweight hoody and the Sitka Arrowhead MDWi hoody (that I reviewed earlier).

I want to look at several things, but near the top are warmth/weight and moisture movement. I think I might have a pretty slick way to compare moisture movement. I had an ah ha moment after I was swept by a fast moving stream this past winter. I was wet up to my neck, base layer soaked. I put on a mid-layer and started hiking (hard) for ~ two hours and lo behold, my base layer was very close to being fully dry.

I'm not volunteering for any swift water sweeps :D, but my thought is taking a base layer (using the same one each time) soaking it with water-, writing it slightly and weighing it (insuring that each time the garment weighs the same). Putting it on and donning one of the mid-layers. Using a 4-5 mile route (again using the same route & pace each time) and then weighing both the base layer and mid-layer. Obviously the lighter each is (less moisture), the better. I'll do my best to keep environmental conditions as close to the same each time- temperature, humidity, etc.

Anyways Robby suggested starting a q & a thread to get ideas from folks on testing, other possible candidates, etc.

As summer is almost here in Montana, probably realistically looking at September to give this a go.

***Update*** The four pieces included in the review are the OR Vigor Hoodie, the First Lite Origin Hoody, the Sitka Ambient Hoody, and the Stonge Glacier Cirque Lite Jacket.

Mid-Layer Shootout Review

Thanks
Mike
Thanks for the review. Very helpful.

Bump79

WKR
I had tried the old Sitka Kelvin Active half sleeve and got it for a deal @$110. I liked it but didn't love it and decided to return. I think I appreciate it more now after more experiences with similar styles.

I just saw it in sub-alpine for $75 on Sierra Trading Post.. I definitely like it for that price! Ordered.1 left in size large.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still have mine; if I happen to be hunting in warmer weather- it would be the mid-layer most likely to be grabbed :) if not warmer weather, probably the last to grab

Stoop

FNG
How does a Patagonia Thermal Weight Hoody compare to a Kuiu Peloton 97 Hoody, warmth-wise?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does a Patagonia Thermal Weight Hoody compare to a Kuiu Peloton 97 Hoody, warmth-wise?

I'd say it's a little warmer than the 97 and also breathes a little better. But it's also heavier ~ 8oz vs ~ 5 oz.

Stoop

FNG
I'd say it's a little warmer than the 97 and also breathes a little better. But it's also heavier ~ 8oz vs ~ 5 oz.
Wow, that's surprising. I own the Thermal Weight Hoody (actually the precursor, the Expedition Weight Hoody), but I assumed the Peloton 97 was the warmer one. Interesting.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Peloton 97, weight for weight is really warm- I think the Thermal weight edges it a little in the warmth dept., but it also 35% heavier. The reason I choose it as a base layer over the 97, is it breathes better.

Stoop

FNG
The Peloton 97, weight for weight is really warm- I think the Thermal weight edges it a little in the warmth dept., but it also 35% heavier. The reason I choose it as a base layer over the 97, is it breathes better.
What do you choose as a midlayer?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends- early hunting season (warmer) I'll often grab the Sitka Active hoody (half sleeve); later likely the Arrowhead MDWi, if I'm going to be hunting a lot of thick timber/blowdown I might grab the Core Heavyweight hoody

Summer I usually use the Peloton 97 hoody (over an OR Echo hoody base layer)

I didn't care for the Thermalweight hoody as a mid-layer, works great as a base layer in cold though

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
some of it's due to fit, it's a little tight to go over a base layer and two, I've found not to be overly effective at moving moisture when it's over a base layer- on it's against the skin, it does a pretty good job. The second might be related to the first, not sure- just my experience.

Can you toss in an Arcteryx Leaf Naga Hoody in full or pullover ? They have been my go to.
I was just thinking about how the full zip compares to the Ambient. I’ve been rocking a naga full zip as my go to mid layer since they came out, but I’ve been very intrigued by the ambient.

pcros27

FNG
Yeah I can put together a a chart pretty easily. I don't have any scientific testing equipment, but I have few ideas for testing that I think will bear fruit- if nothing else will be interesting :D

Was out yesterday with the First Lite Origin hoody; 12-16" of snow and 10 miles kicked my a$$!

YDK7JIX.jpg
Have you run the Klamath? How's this compare for warmth, etc?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you run the Klamath? How's this compare for warmth, etc?

I haven't. I'd take a stab at your question based on the fabric (polartec grid fleece) and weight. My best guess that this would be in the warmth category of the OR Vigor I tested- very similar fabric and only an ounce difference in weight (which probably amounts to the hood on the Vigor vs the hoodless Klamath).

If you're looking for a lightweight, hoodless mid-layer- grid fleece is pretty well proven out. It likely won't be as warm as the others mid-layers tested though.

Bump79

WKR
I haven't. I'd take a stab at your question based on the fabric (polartec grid fleece) and weight. My best guess that this would be in the warmth category of the OR Vigor I tested- very similar fabric and only an ounce difference in weight (which probably amounts to the hood on the Vigor vs the hoodless Klamath).

If you're looking for a lightweight, hoodless mid-layer- grid fleece is pretty well proven out. It likely won't be as warm as the others mid-layers tested though.
I wonder about the Vigor Plus. Heavier obviously but more loft than the Vigor. Good price point as OR is pretty easily found 25% off.

It says "mid-layer" to me more than the Vigor.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder about the Vigor Plus. Heavier obviously but more loft than the Vigor. Good price point as OR is pretty easily found 25% off.

It says "mid-layer" to me more than the Vigor.

Yeah in hindsight I probably should have chosen the Plus for the test; it would have compared more closely I think. Of course @Ryan Avery suggested that one, guess I should have listened :D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting.

They used to have a Deviator in their lineup that was also a hybrid. It also used Polartec Alpha Direct (assuming this is Direct or a derivative) for the front shoulders and then a grid fleece for the arms and back.

This new one they continued the Direct into the arms, but left just the back in grid.

If you're wearing a pack the entire time or doing something very active, ie trail running, nordic skiing, etc- I can definitely see this piece being of interest :)