Merino Wool

Tcatt

FNG
Do you guys have some ideas on inexpensive merino base layers? Maybe some inexpensive puffy jacket and pants options?

MADGRZ

FNG
I'd check sales at REI, steepandcheap, etc. No reason it has to be a "hunting brand" of merino baselayer. I rock Icebreaker and Helly Hansen.

Camofire just had a bunch of Black Ovis Merino stuff on the site probably yesterday. I've heard if you call them they'll sell it to you after it's rotated out. Looked like some great shirt options.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Costco gets merino lightweight shirts in quite a bit for $20. If you can't find any and you wear an XL let me know. I stocked up last time so I'm pretty sure I have some, still new with tags if you want to buy a couple.

I use a lot of minus33 and meriwool. It’s 100% wool and I’ve been using it the last 4-5 years and it’s holding up. Typically you can find a coupon or a sale a few times a year.

I have 3 or so of the Costco ones (merino) and just bought 6 of the 32 degree base layers at Costco as well. Got them for 9.99 for 2 , I am quite impressed with the 32 degree layers.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I use a lot of minus33 and meriwool. It’s 100% wool and I’ve been using it the last 4-5 years and it’s holding up. Typically you can find a coupon or a sale a few times a year.
I'd second both Minus 33 and Meriwool, though I still don't know if you'd call them cheap. Cheaper, but I think you're still going to want to search for sales/coupons.

My Meriwool baselayer longsleeve shirt has held up well for two seasons. I replaced it with some stuff I liked better, but that stuff is twice the price and there's nothing wrong with Meriwool. Same goes for Minus33 which I feel is slightly more expensive and slightly better quality.

I will say, Merino wool is one of those things that is going to be harder to find for cheap than say cotton or polyester...but you can do it. That said, a lot of times you get what you pay for.

jp08ee

FNG
I also use and like meriwool although agree it's not cheap compared to other materials. I get merino wool socks from Costco that are good enough, not great though. Also agree with 32 degrees on the puffy outer layer. Got a puffy jacket from them for me and my son and they are pretty nice, I was surprised. Not as nice as a $300 kuiu I'm sure but it does the job well for a fraction of the price.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
On socks I don’t do anything but darn tough anymore. At least until I’m convinced there’s something better out there.
For durability/getting your money's worth they can't be beat, but honestly I don't find them as comfortable and I've found myself reaching for them less and less.

For durability/getting your money's worth they can't be beat, but honestly I don't find them as comfortable and I've found myself reaching for them less and less.
I typically wear the light cusion socks for everyday and heavyweights for super cold conditions and hang them each night If I’m coming/hunting. I actually think my smartwool socks are more comfortable but not nearly as durable.

When it comes to puffys you generally get what you pay for. I try to be around 800 down or more and check the amount of fill in the specs if available. My favorite puffy is stone glacier but it’s not nearly as durable as others. When I was looking the stone glacier had the best quality fill and the most fill for the money. Sometimes you can find other brands on sale like Patagonia for around $130 but they aren’t nearly as warm or packable.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
brother if I may strongly urge you and your son to pay up for a couple of highest quality merino layers. cheap wont due when it counts most, and that's when regret chaps your ass. The good ones last many years and they will prove their worth the first time you're compromised in wet or cold scenarios.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I typically wear the light cusion socks for everyday and heavyweights for super cold conditions and hang them each night If I’m coming/hunting. I actually think my smartwool socks are more comfortable but not nearly as durable.

When it comes to puffys you generally get what you pay for. I try to be around 800 down or more and check the amount of fill in the specs if available. My favorite puffy is stone glacier but it’s not nearly as durable as others. When I was looking the stone glacier had the best quality fill and the most fill for the money. Sometimes you can find other brands on sale like Patagonia for around $130 but they aren’t nearly as warm or packable.
I have some alpaca socks from various brands, and merino wool socks from Realtree, Woolpower, and Darn Tough. I haven't had the alpaca socks long enough to comment on durability, but I prefer them most based on comfort and feel. I've had the Darn Toughs for years now though and although they aren't as comfortable it is damn hard to argue with their value in durability. I think the Realtree are easily my least favorite.

I agree. The SG Grumman is my favorite as well....though to be honest I haven't ever used the FL or KUIU equivalents so my opinion is somewhat based on ignorance. I don't wear down to beat it up so durability isn't my biggest concern either. Just bought the Grumman vest to add to my repertoire. Of course they are costly. In my opinion Eddie Bauer can be one of the best options for quality at a good price when you hit those 50-60% off sales they seem to have every year. I saw a nice Eddie Bauer puffy this past Christmas season for half off. Not SG quality, but if you have to do it on a budget.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I buy spf 50 fishing shirts 100% polyester base layer then a cashmere or alpaca wool sweater, deluth underwear, johnson wool pants , all on clearance sales
base layer =$15 per unit
9B97C4F5-DD60-40AF-B14D-AEE53018E38C.pngF2070085-35C4-4F38-A87F-4CB7C968EF4E.png

Last edited:
H

HappyHuntr

Goodthreads merino wool 1/4 zip jumper. $40 on amazon. nice colors too

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
On socks I don’t do anything but darn tough anymore. At least until I’m convinced there’s something better out there.

Wasn’t at all a fan. Feet would sweat nonstop. All I wear now is Point 6 and WORN socks. Hands down the best I’ve found.

Base layers however…I’m struggling there. Black Ovis wasn’t at all durable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk