Merino wool

Slugz

WKR
Regardless of the route you go.
Wash it correctly. Cold. Hang dry and you will get a ton of life out of it.

Xerute

FNG
Firstlite, Kuiu, Smartwool, Minus33, SG. Whatever you can get your hands on and try for sale. All going to be quality for your money.

I have minus 33 (150 wt), smartwool (250 wt), and kuiu (x3 weights). The Minus33 is the only one I can sleep in. The others I will sweat while shivering and never warm up.

The Minus33 (I have top and pants)is a bit scratchy and it’s downright ugly but super warm. It’s also the only one I can rewear indefinitely without stinking. I’ve even gone for an hour run in it, aired it out for an hour, then worn again for a week without washing.

I’ve owned the same Minus33 underwear set for about 12 years and it’s still in great shape. The only reason I bought the others was to try different weights and 1/4 zip.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I only wear mewrino wool wigwam socks, all year.

I got some woolx base layers. Like them, they run sales. I got one midweight top with some holes in it, which I can't figure out why. I got two of the same top, I liked so much, Still wear it. Their heavy weight, which does not get as much use, still looks great.

People will go nuts, and say cotton kills, but most of the time, most of us are not 20 miles in the back country. I like my carhart tops. I wear them like a shirt. Which is probably why my merino wool has holes in it.