Merino wool

H

Huntkook

This might be one of those Ford, Chevy, Dodge questions, but is there one company that makes the best merino wool base layer?

safeskies

FNG
First Lite has been awesome! I was really bummed when they dropped ASAT camp, but their merino quality is top notch!

First lite is my prefered brand - but they have the worst shipping and return policies that i only buy wool feom them at this point as I know what fits now. I do have some peices new i plan to sell next year as I couldn't return them (would have to pu for shipping again, and only atore credit but I dont need anything). Otherwise, their base layers are great.

also like smartwool and the meriwool brand is good as is minus33. But smartwool is expensive. Meriwool and minus33 are good brands but not as well made as first lite or smartwool. I buy the meriwool/minus33 brand for thinks like neck gaiters and gloves. I have a few shirts too.

Smartwool will fit like skin and I prefer thay with skiing. Hunting I dont care as much, first lite is more durable, has zip off bottom options and camo patterns I prefer in tops.

I bought some minus33 tops and bottoms a few years back. Its holding up pretty good. At first I thought it was a bit scratchy but after a couple washes it is soft and comfortable to my skin.

Yoder

WKR
I have FL. They are great. I bought my wife a base layer set off of Amazon for a little less than half the price. They are thicker, come in more colors and are also made by Chinese slaves. If I'm going to pay extra for a brand name again, I'll pick something made in America. Otherwise I'll just buy it from Amazon.

grfox92

WKR
I have a top and bottom from minus 33 that I'm not kidding, is 12 years old. The crotch is gone on the bottoms and there are a few small holes in low in the front of the tops. All other brands i have found are good for 2-4 years before they are swiss cheese.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

My experience is different. My minus33 is every bit as comfortable as any First Lite I’ve owned, but has been much much more durable.

Oh cool ill have to try more of their stuff. I have their hats and gloves and the threading came out in some spots after a few uses was what my experience was based on.

Minus33 fingerless gloves are legit at $18-20 bucks on amazon!!

OP
B

Brando'

You can catch great deals on amazon brand merino. And guess what it's just as good as anything else but a fraction of the price. Merino wool is merino wool.

Drenalin

WKR
Oh cool ill have to try more of their stuff. I have their hats and gloves and the threading came out in some spots after a few uses was what my experience was based on.

Minus33 fingerless gloves are legit at $18-20 bucks on amazon!!
I haven’t had their gloves, but have a beanie and neck gaiter. I don’t care for those due to fit, but like their tops and bottoms quite a bit.

ToolMann

WKR
Primarily Firstlite and Smartwool for me. Smartwool and Darn Tough for socks. Trying out some Ridge Merino boxer briefs and Hollow alpaca wool socks right now. I like to try new options.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not really a wool brand, but Polartec Power Wool , in its lightest for is really soft.

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
SKRE is the only experience I have with merino wool base layers. I can only compare to Under Armour cold gear 2.0 and in my opinion the SKRE is better than the synthetic UA.

My experience is different. My minus33 is every bit as comfortable as any First Lite I’ve owned, but has been much much more durable.
That’s also been my experience, if it doesn’t need to be camo, I like minus 33 the most.

For camo merino, in light weight, I like the asat hooded merino shirt, I wear mine a ton, and as a common outer layer archery elk hunting, they survive about 1.5-2yrs before it gets too thin from living under a pack and starts going downhill, and that goes for any merino… it’s a relatively fragile material, but it’s a fair compromise for me

Kuiu makes a comfortable merino, but they seem to wear faster

FirstLite base layers and darn tough socks have been my favorites by far. Slowly converting all of my base layers and socks to these brands.