Merino boxers.... am I nuts?

sndmn11

WKR
Nylon and Merino play a lot nicer, is it just because the nylon is more durable or is there some other black magic that I am not thinking about?

I believe that nylon is stronger and more abrasion resistant. From my time working with fabrics in tents and tack, I have come to view polyester as a filler material used when cost cutting is the priority. To me, having nylon within clothing speaks to what I believe, and the principal illustrated on this page in how it is utilized makes a lot of sense to me.

Gorp2007

WKR
I've tried the First Lites (several different models) and like others I would strongly recommend Smartwool instead. Durability is great and feel better to me than synthetics, even in high sweat. I also like that I can get them in boxers, which helps with better air flow.

I wear Smartwool boxer briefs, every day for daily wear. They’re just that good. I don’t think I would call them durable, but I also have big thighs that wear through all fabrics pretty quick. I can get probably a year out of a pair in regular rotation for wear probably once a week.

Oregonboy

WKR
I tried FL merino underwear and they blew out quickly. I've switched to SAXX and like them quite a bit. Haven't had any durability issues with their underwear at all.

WCB

WKR
I tried Merino and they don't last. I settled on/went back to just wearing nylon compression type shorts. Figured if my nylon compression nut cup short lasted through a couple hockey seasons, dried quick and didn't rub similar would be more than perfect walking around in the mountains.

Anvil69

WKR
I shoe horses in central Texas and would always get heat rash from cotton or synthetic. Switched to smartwool about 7 years ago, now it’s all I wear. Also darn tough socks. I don’t even own anything else. Helps with the funk also a plus.

OP
E
Sounds like I might need to try a couple different options. I'll watch for the sitka to go on sale, see if I fan find smart wool and check out the other brand recommendations.

I have thick thighs, and I generally need long leg boxers. I tried the saxx but got short leg ones and they feel like I'm wearing a speedo half the time.

Do you guys swap mid hunt or grab a new pair at the truck?

People either love them or hate them.
Me, guaranteed I’m chaffed in half day or less from all the wool fibers breaking off and becoming sandpaper. Went through 2 pair of first lite in a matter of days use each before blowing a fist size hole in the crotch.
Exofficio going on 8-10 years of use, don’t seem to smell anymore than my skin and body after a few days.

Skinnier non thigh rubbers that I talk to seem to like merino, if you have big legs and rub when walking go synthetic.

Whatever you do, don't buy FL boxers. My 2 pairs stretched out and basically fell apart. I'm about over FL

Sounds like I might need to try a couple different options. I'll watch for the sitka to go on sale, see if I fan find smart wool and check out the other brand recommendations.

I have thick thighs, and I generally need long leg boxers. I tried the saxx but got short leg ones and they feel like I'm wearing a speedo half the time.

Do you guys swap mid hunt or grab a new pair at the truck?
I think GoHunt is having a big sitka sale right now, not sure if their boxers are on there or not.

OP
E
Whatever you do, don't buy FL boxers. My 2 pairs stretched out and basically fell apart. I'm about over FL
I personally had bad experience with their older merino so I haven't tried it again. I might be hard on stuff but I wore a hole in both shoulders of a t shirt packing in a deer stand, not that heavy I thought.