Meopta MeoPro Air

I wish they would put them out already I have been waiting to look through some since they announced them

AGPank

WKR
If they hit on ergonomics and retain Meostar performance this could be a home run. They are a little lighter and look better (to me) than the meostars.

Really hoping for them to expand on their success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Looking at the picture, it's hard to tell if this would work with a screw-in tripod adapter. Does anyone know?
It will, but the 1/4x20 thread is on the front of the front hinge, which will make them very imbalanced on most tripod adapters. If Outdoorsmans would come up with more tripod adapters like the ones they have for the Swaro EL open bridge bins (that reverses this hinge pin so the stud can ride between the hinges, out of the way) that would be great. I have reversed the front hinge pin on three pairs of binoculars now myself, so I could mount the adapter stud in between the hinges. It's not hard to do if you're handy. Toughest part is getting the screw tension correct so they hold their IPD. But once you do that, a regular 1/4x20 stud will work just like the Outdoorsman's Swaro EL adapter. Most folks won't be comfortable doing this swap themselves though, as it could void the warranty and will risk causing the unit to become misaligned. But for me, it's worked out just fine.

OP
Newtosavage
Come to think of it, Meopros are assembled here in the U.S., I think. I don't know if they would entertain the idea of swapping that front hinge pin for us hunters or not, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I bet if you talked to the right person, you could get them that way out of the factory, with a full warranty. Man that would be sweet, and another good reason to buy these.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Meostar is their top line glass. Why would they do this in the Meopro line? Seems like these should be their best bino

OP
Newtosavage
Meostar is their top line glass. Why would they do this in the Meopro line? Seems like these should be their best bino
My guess is that they want to keep the Meostar name for their products made in Europe. I'm sure these will be made in China, or assembled in the U.S. from Chinese-supplied parts like the existing Meopro line. Most European optics companies won't compromise (or haven't yet) on their top of the line products. They are still made in Europe.

I agree @sf jakey . I plan to go with meostars in the future and would have loved them to go this route with them to. But maybe a pair of these in 8-32 may make it into my hands too, who knows lol.

JGRaider

WKR
My guess is that they want to keep the Meostar name for their products made in Europe. I'm sure these will be made in China, or assembled in the U.S. from Chinese-supplied parts like the existing Meopro line. Most European optics companies won't compromise (or haven't yet) on their top of the line products. They are still made in Europe.

It must be news to you, but none of the Meopro line is made in China. You'd probably be surprised where some of the vaunted "alpha" makers get some of their parts.

OP
Newtosavage
It must be news to you, but none of the Meopro line is made in China. You'd probably be surprised where some of the vaunted "alpha" makers get some of their parts.
Go back and look at what I wrote again. Meopros are "assembled" in the U.S., but the parts are not made here, or in Europe. As for you hoping to "surprise" me, I've followed the birding forums much longer than I've been a member here, and the qualifications of some of the optics experts that post on those forums far surpasses that of anyone here. It's clear to me that many optics that people think are made in Europe, are in fact made in Asia and some % of their final assembly (Germany it's as little as 10% from what I read) is in Europe, so they can say "made in Germany" or whatever. There is a lot of evidence that the Zeiss Conquest HD's are made in the Kamakura plant in Japan. That's okay with me because I've owned several pairs of binoculars that came out of that plant, and they were all excellent. The Japanese know how to make world class optics, as evidenced by their Nikon EDG line and LX-L's before those.

I'm glad they have them assembled in the U.S., as that should address some of the QC issues most MIC bins have, but the glass and coatings are still coming from China. If you have specific information to the contrary, please feel free to share it.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
That’s my point. This is the desirable form Factor, similar to ELs. Why not make them the best in their lineup, build them in Europe, use the top tier glass etc. from what I have seen of the meostars, they could crush Swaro

OP
Newtosavage
That’s my point. This is the desirable form Factor, similar to ELs. Why not make them the best in their lineup, build them in Europe, use the top tier glass etc. from what I have seen of the meostars, they could crush Swaro
They might be working on that. Who knows. The Meostar line is overdue for an update IMO. Same basic binocular for many years now, with different skin and diopter adjustment lock. That ain't enough IMO. But being slow to change a formula that's worked for them has some logic too I guess. I don't see Swaro changing their SLC form factor anytime soon, because it's so popular with hunters.

If they made these in Europe, to the same standard as a Meostar in a x32 model, at around $1500 street price, they would sell the crap out of them IMO. The birders would jump on them and so would the hunters.

AGPank

WKR
I read a very informative article on Birdforum about Meopta. Their Czech factory is one of the largest in the world. Like other alluded to here, they make a lot of OEM for other manufacturers. I would suspect they make the glass in that plant.

They opened a factory in Tampa FL a few years ago. I’m not certain what they make/assemble/service there.

Meopta makes military, medical, space optics also.

I think with a stronger marketing effort they would really make an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaaf

WKR
I tested a pair in late April. They had identical glass to my Meostars. The tripod adapter was on the front(wish it would have been facing inward like what you do with the EL’s)

I’ll have to look through my notes but I believe they said made in Czech.
My most recent Meopros are also labeled Czech Republic so I don’t know if they moved assembly back to Europe or what.