Mental Stability in the Field.

Hblazier3

FNG
I've grown up hunting my whole life. Being raised around a beef ranching family in Idaho I always joke about how its ironic that i grew up eating more Elk and Mule Deer than i ever grew up on beef. As i graduated high school and ventured off on my own, hunting kind of fell on the back burner from ages 18-25. I was just too busy riding bucking horses, and at the time i was working on ranches where fall time was always pretty busy.
Finally, I find myself a big boy job. No more saddle bummin'. The PTO, the lack of animals lives that relied on me, and the man-power to cover me as I get to pursue my favorite dinner meals. As I took on my childhood past time, and my fathers traditions, the first 2 years i STRUGGLED. Pops isn't interested in hunting as he is not feeding a family anymore, so I continued mentorless. I fly solo, mind you, so my first 2 years were trial, error, and full of frustration. I had to dig into my memories of animal habitat, human habits, and the mental grind. I kept finding myself giving up. No deer. No elk. As I would reflect in the off season I would kick myself for giving up. I realized the small details were killing me. I was giving myself excuses to crawl back down that mountain. No food? Head home. No water? Go home. Weather sucks? Get dry in the tent.
Boom. Light bulb. Lets grab a gear, let's up my gear. Investments. I started buying bigger better packs. Better clothing. Put a little fore thought into glassing points. Pretty soon i find myself very comfortable when i'm a few miles in. I have plenty of food to snack on, plenty of light weight layers, plenty of water. I had solved my problem... I didn't like being uncomfortable, it stopped me from performing and gave me excuses. My mental strength relies on comfort. I have killed both elk and deer the last 2 years because i cracked my code. The reflection of this latest season has me curious, whats everybody elses battle in the field? What keeps you from grinding? As i get older I worry about finding new road blocks, as they say, its 90% mental, and 10% physical.
Maybe I'm giving myself excuses to buy gear.

LFC911

WKR
Big boy job cut my hunt short this year. I could have probably hunted to the detriment of a big project I've been working on. I won't make the same mistake this year.

I hate losing more than I like winning. So I just think about driving home without a punched tag, and realizing it was only because I gave up early. I’ve had those 8-10hr drives and I’ll never have another one because of mental toughness. You spend your whole year dreaming, planning, prepping and scheming. Then you’re going to quit because it’s hard? Because you got wet, or it’s steeper than google earth made it look? It only takes one.

I repeat in my head; persistence and perseverance fills tags. It only takes one. It only takes one. He’s here, I just have to do my job and find him.

Every time I sit down to glass I assume what I’m looking for is in view and I just have to find it. Sheds, deer, elk, bear, antelope, doesn’t matter.

I’ve gotten some flack for gear purchases or upgrades and the -I can shoot it in Wal-Mart Jacket and Jeans crowd, but when the weather turns and I’m dry and warm, there is no arguing it’s advantage for sticking out inclement weather and staying safe. Great job sticking it out and getting into your own head. Lots of people never reach that level of awareness and just quit. Must be that cowboy in ya!

Elk hunting is the think I wait literally all year to do. Elk meat is also about 80% of our protein source and my wife much prefers it to whitetail.

When I’m in the mountains and I’m miserable and not seeing anything, I think about how far I had to drive to get there and how much I have to pay in tag costs to do it. I think those factors help my success. If I’m out there, I’m gonna hunt, and I’m gonna give it everything. I’ve only eaten tag soup my first year (knock on wood.)

It would be a lot easier to load up the truck and head home empty handed if home was 1-2 hrs away and the tag cost was $20 from Walmart the night before.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Try hunting Blacktails or Roosevelt on public lands in the north Oregon coast, will test anyone's mental stability.
I find that Im best when everythings in order on the home front. Take care of that and I much more enjoy the hardest of hunts regardless if I punch the tag.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly the same story for me. Minus the rodeo stuff, but life had me doing other things.

It's all mental for me. Mostly running solo so it's not hard to convince me myself and I to do something that cuts the hunt short or cuts out an opportunity.

I have found that good boots, good clothes, and being comfortable in general definitely made it easier to convince myself to stay out. Beyond that I struggle, a hunting buddy would help with that.

Elk hunting is the think I wait literally all year to do. Elk meat is also about 80% of our protein source and my wife much prefers it to whitetail.

When I’m in the mountains and I’m miserable and not seeing anything, I think about how far I had to drive to get there and how much I have to pay in tag costs to do it. I think those factors help my success. If I’m out there, I’m gonna hunt, and I’m gonna give it everything. I’ve only eaten tag soup my first year (knock on wood.)

It would be a lot easier to load up the truck and head home empty handed if home was 1-2 hrs away and the tag cost was $20 from Walmart the night before.
This is my line of thinking as well. I don’t drive 13-16 hours and spend who knows how much money in total to chase elk/mule deer once every year or two just to give up easy. Keep moving till I find game and hunt all day long if at all possible. I use the best gear I can afford and hunt hard. As far as the mental stability goes, I just love being out in the mountains hunting. It’s a pleasure even when it’s tough conditions or not going well.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
I agree a good hunting buddy does go a long way on bigger hunts. Especially when I miss the kids. It’s a true mental test for me to keep my head in the game on solo hunts cuz I just wanna bail and go see my kids. My in reach helps so I can text my wife and kids to check in and a few good buddy’s in the field to keep my mind from wandering. Really good country with fine specimens to chase also seem to help!😉

Marble

WKR
Gear aside, what keeps me going in the field is , "no regrets." I do not want to leave my hunt regretting not going all in. I never want to choose not to go somewhere and put in that extra effort needed to be successful.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
I think of the likes of Ernest Shackleton and Ejnar Mikkelsen and many others during the age of discovery, surviving and enduring hardship for multiple hundreds of days in total isolation with no communication.

Then whatever I'm doing seems easy again.

These days I hunt for the enjoyment of it. I’m going to have good equipment. At 25 I was ok with sitting in the rain and cold in a old army poncho and waffle long handles. At 61 I’m in merino wool and a good rain suit. I am more likely to be having good time if Im somewhat comfortable. If I am more comfortable I am hunting more and being more successful.
I’m not one to argue with success so do what makes you successful. Do what gives you enjoyment.
In my location hunting isnt going to be an economically efficient way to fill a freezer so its purely a hobby, sport , lifestyle sort of thing for me.

I agree a good hunting buddy does go a long way on bigger hunts. Especially when I miss the kids. It’s a true mental test for me to keep my head in the game on solo hunts cuz I just wanna bail and go see my kids. My in reach helps so I can text my wife and kids to check in and a few good buddy’s in the field to keep my mind from wandering. Really good country with fine specimens to chase also seem to help!😉
I’m somewhat a loner at home. Live alone , work mostly alone. I have good friends and I see them every week for a lunch Or two. But I love meeting up at camp with the crew. It wouldn't be half as much fun without that bunch.

Hunt solo, mostly. I make sure I get my family time planned. I get a few weeks off, M-F is hunt time and I hunt hard. SAT & SUN, family time, no excuses. Gives me the rest I need.

Took 20 years to work out the kinks before the first bull elk was tagged, still working on polishing the tarnish.

Bottom line for me, have a goal and strive for it, then build the next goal. Reach, rest if needed, reach again.

Type A fun, is still fun.

Rich M

WKR
I agree that hunting, shooting, most things have a mental aspect. I always figured that if I was in the field every day that a decent shot opportunity would present itself and then I just needed to connect. So far so good on western hunts - not so much on eastern hunts.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I was giving myself excuses to crawl back down that mountain. No food? Head home. No water? Go home. Weather sucks? Get dry in the tent.
That's why I hunt down in canyons.
"Food, water and shelter are all at the top of this ridge? Quitting is going to be a lot of work, I'll just sit here a little longer and maybe something will walk by."

A mantra that comes into my mind almost instinctively when I'm dealing with this stuff is "I'm made for this s**t." When doubt creeps in. That motivational voice is louder than the doubt.

Get an Inreach. Messenger or mini. The connectedness helps. We live in a modern time where we have the means to get help balls deep in the wilderness.

Last week I had to get a truck tow figured out from way in the middle of nowhere. Then get the dead truck back to my town hours away. The lack of control I had over the situation really sucked, but when in doubt "there's nothing to do, but to do it."

Each challenge I overcome is another notch of confidence.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.” - Marcus Aurelius

I also learned early on that one of the aspects I was after was being alone, and being self reliant. Sitting with all those thoughts then persevering despite anything my inner critic has to say is arguably the most satisfying feeling.