How to get time off work? FMLA help or?

One of the main reasons that I like where I work is because it's this easy...
"Hey this just came up, can I take tomorrow off to go do this?" and I have yet to be forced to work

CDS8034

FNG
I also worked at a refinery. They also did vacation blackouts, which made planning things very difficult. I left the refinery a little over a year ago, after spending 12 years in the industry. Best decision I have ever made. Took a small pay cut to make the move, but do not regret it at all. My new job is much more family friendly and they allow me to take vacation when I want and treat me like a human. So keep an open mind about other opportunities.

Tick

WKR
Don't try to use FLMA for a hunt or quit. Decide how important the hunt is to you and have that conversation with your employer. When the time comes accept their decision if you choose the hunt and live with it.

Rich M

WKR
Sorry to hear your hunt may not happen.
Your employer is going to dick you around as long as you work there. In this case, your bossman wiped out most of a hunting season for you, and it was done so the company could have fewer people on the payroll. You will never get that time back. Your loss, their gain. How much of your personal life are you willing to sacrifice to make your employer richer?

Get a new job lined up. Set the start date for after your hunt ends. Give notice at your current job 2 weeks before your hunt starts. As you leave your current job, tell them you're quiting because they treat their employees like crap.

JMHO
so easy to say. Also very dumb. He said he has good pay, 401k, etc.

All he has to do is talk w the boss. Worst case, talk w the outfitter and stretch it out another year.

A good paying, stable job is tougher and tougher to get these days. Mostly cause of attitudes such as this.

wyodan

WKR
Look for another job that will let you start after you finish your hunt. Quit your current job right when you are gonna go on the hunt. Be unemployed during the hunt. It will be great!

Find a new job man, don’t be one of the jackasses that plays the system.
This.

I’m in HR and see a lot of questionable FMLA situations, but there is usually at least some medical basis to get it through. You’d have to completely lie and waste a lot of people’s time.

There are more important things in life than work. Like almost everything. Start looking for a job at a company and industry that fits your lifestyle and don’t look back.

Only other option is to ask for a Leave of Absence. They may have vacation blacked out, but if they have a LOA policy, that is likely in a different policy.

WKR
I have a hunt booked for 2024. My employer notified me yesterday that all vacation will be blocked out from mid August through mid November. I work in Illinois and there are no laws preventing this.

Other than quitting and finding a new job, how can I use FMLA in my favor to get the needed time off? Any insight or advice? I could use the mental health aspect, but I’d have to lie and make up a bunch of BS and go see a counselor or psychiatrist or psychologist and I don’t need to. I’m fine, I just need the time off.

Any advice helps. Thanks
Be careful with the mental health angle. You might win the battle and lose the war when they come confiscate your firearms due to mental health/red flag laws.

That, and it's just plain wrong.

Fowl Play

WKR
If I worked for a company for 14 years, considered myself #1 in seniority, and my first response to getting an email about not being able to go on a hunting trip was to ask a bunch of random people on the internet how to fake a mental illness… well… I don’t know man, I’d probably rethink my entire situation.

I have a family member that works in an industry where seniority means everything. He always laughs at people that work for the smaller companies and wont leave for the bigger ones due to seniority. The smaller companies suck to work for and have crappy schedules. He always tells them "congratulations on being the most senior person of shitville."

I agree with you, whats the point of working someplace for 14 years if they wont work with you and your personal life?

Its all give and take. The fact that OP went straight to FMLA makes me think there is some more to this story. When I was a manager, I had a person that had worked there for 6 months. She proved to be flat out amazing at her job. There wasnt a day, week or month I wouldnt have given her off. My biggest concern when she took time off was she was interviewing somewhere else. She was way to talented for what she was getting paid.
Places like that are learning the hard way with the labor shortage. There’s so many jobs, especially blue collar there’s no reason to stay somewhere you’re not happy.

Sorry to hear your hunt may not happen.

so easy to say. Also very dumb. He said he has good pay, 401k, etc.

All he has to do is talk w the boss. Worst case, talk w the outfitter and stretch it out another year.

A good paying, stable job is tougher and tougher to get these days. Mostly cause of attitudes such as this.
I was looking for a job when I found this one.

I work so I can live, not the other way around.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a hunt booked for 2024. My employer notified me yesterday that all vacation will be blocked out from mid August through mid November. I work in Illinois and there are no laws preventing this.

Other than quitting and finding a new job, how can I use FMLA in my favor to get the needed time off? Any insight or advice? I could use the mental health aspect, but I’d have to lie and make up a bunch of BS and go see a counselor or psychiatrist or psychologist and I don’t need to. I’m fine, I just need the time off.

Any advice helps. Thanks
I was in that position once I explained it wasn’t a matter of weather or not I was going fishing just a matter of where I’d be working when I got back

packer58

WKR
Retired now but spent 32 years in heavy construction, fall is crunch time for earth movers so I had to play around with hunt dates and seasons in order to hunt every year. I was a valued employee (finish blade operator) so they gave me some latitude in order to keep me. I only say this because if the OP is #1 in seniority and a valued 14 year employee he should be able to set down with his supervisor and shake things out.

Everyone that says “dont play the system” has clearly never worked in a union. There is no special circumstances, no relationships to build rapport on, everything is black and white. If you dont play the system, you are basically always getting screwed. I dont like playing the system or unions in general, so I took a pay cut and left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
These threads should impact WKR status points. OP ghosts after a few minutes? WTH?
OP got overwhelming input saying he was on the wrong track morally. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he is taking it to heart.

fwafwow

WKR
OP got overwhelming input saying he was on the wrong track morally. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he is taking it to heart.
That’s a good and gracious approach. It would be cool to get that confirmation. Or an update. But I’m selfish and nosey.

Sizthediz

WKR
Get covid. Do they want you hanging around with it, spreading to everyone in the office. I have a picture of a positive test I'll sell you. I need some new binos. Pm me if you're interested. Spring it on him night before you leave. Go to doctor when you get back for clearance. Otherwise pick a finger and cut it off. Life's about choices and priorities. Now pick one. Good luck

Attachments

• 20231026_103423.jpg
    20231026_103423.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited: