Memphis BBQ

jmez

WKR
In Memphis for a few days. Where do I go to get authentic Memphis BBQ, not chain stuff.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Presto

FNG
Marlowes near Graceland. Rendevous is a cool experience but the food is average

Central and Commissary are some of the best. Rendezvous if you want that experience, still better than most outside memphis. One and only has decent bbq, great smoked chicken, and the best banana pudding I’ve ever had. The original Gus’s fried chicken in Mason is good, just be prepared to wait 45 min for your order.

bluesulphur

Lil-Rokslider
Tom's BBQ by the airport is the real deal. Cozy Corner is good, and the downtown Central BBQ is good as well.

Poser

WKR
Lived in Memphis for several years.

1. Cozy Corner

2. Payne’s (lunch only. Slaw on the sandwich. This is the best sandwhich in town. Chopped pork)

3. Barbecue Shop for dry ribs

4. Central for wet ribs. BBQ nachos also very good.

5. Interstate BBQ

I’d also hit up Gus’s Fried Chicken.

Avoid Rendevouz. It’s sucks.
Commissary also pretty much sucks by Memphis standards. It would be good in any other city so surprised to see it on this list. It’s no where in the same league as Cozy Corner or payne’s

The best BBQ in west TN is Helen’s in Brownsville’s

Poser

WKR
Lived in Memphis for several years.

1. Cozy Corner

2. Payne’s (lunch only. Slaw on the sandwich. This is the best sandwhich in town. Chopped pork)

3. Barbecue Shop for dry ribs

4. Central for wet ribs. BBQ nachos also very good.

5. Interstate BBQ

I’d also hit up Gus’s Fried Chicken.

Commissary also pretty much sucks by Memphis standards. It would be good in any other city so surprised to see it on this list. It’s no where in the same league as Cozy Corner or payne’s

Bluto

WKR
If you go to Central, do NOT pass up the jerk dry rub wings. They will change your life.

I’ll go against the grain, The Bar-B-Q Shop in midtown on Madison for ribs. Best I’ve tried that I didn’t cook.

Be careful, wherever you go. Memphis’ reputation is well earned.

dpat

FNG
Bluto is right the Jerk dry rub wings at Central BBQ are incredible! The smoked Bologna sandwich is also pretty good.

Sherman

WKR
I was in Memphis around 2010ish. Didn’t care too much for the bbq.... however there was this downtown 24hr diner that had the best catfish I’ve ever had. Fresh caught off the Mississippi (they said).

I’ll take a Santa Maria style tritip every day of the week over brisket and ribs. One of the two things I miss about California, the other being the beaches.

As someone way too deep in bbq culture... They are the two icons of Memphis bbq.

Poser

WKR
As someone way too deep in bbq culture... They are the two icons of Memphis bbq.

Rendezvous is famous, sure. Good? Hardly. Representative of Memphis BBQ? Absolutely not.
Commissary is BBQ for people who never venture out of the Memphis suburbs. Calling it a icon is laughable.