Memphis BBQ

Rendezvous is famous, sure. Good? Hardly. Representative of Memphis BBQ? Absolutely not.
Commissary is BBQ for people who never venture out of the Memphis suburbs. Calling it a icon is laughable.
I could name 100 bbq places arothe country... Those are the only two in Memphis I know.

Poser

WKR
I could name 100 bbq places arothe country... Those are the only two in Memphis I know.

That’s unfortunate because they are far from the best. Rendezvous is probably 90+% tourists. Locals may go there to take a out of town visitor who wants to eat there, but I knew of no locals who were enthusiastic about it. In contrast, go to Payne’s or Cozy Corner, and it’s 99% local.

Rendezvous does charbroiled ribs. I’m not even sure that qualifies as Memphis BBQ since everything else is slow and low. It’s based on a Greek style of BBQ and it’s not the texture that most people expect as it’s a good bit tougher. But, overall, it’s just not representative of Memphis style BBQ. It has a great location to intercept tourists as it’s within walking distance of Beale St.

That’s unfortunate because they are far from the best. Rendezvous is probably 90+% tourists. Locals may go there to take a out of town visitor who wants to eat there, but I knew of no locals who were enthusiastic about it. In contrast, go to Payne’s or Cozy Corner, and it’s 99% local.

Rendezvous does charbroiled ribs. I’m not even sure that qualifies as Memphis BBQ since everything else is slow and low. It’s based on a Greek style of BBQ and it’s not the texture that most people expect as it’s a good bit tougher. But, overall, it’s just not representative of Memphis style BBQ. It has a great location to intercept tourists as it’s within walking distance of Beale St.
Rendezvous got us as tourist the first time we tried "Memphis bbq". NEVER AGAIN

Btaylor

WKR
Lived in Memphis for several years.

1. Cozy Corner

2. Payne’s (lunch only. Slaw on the sandwich. This is the best sandwhich in town. Chopped pork)

3. Barbecue Shop for dry ribs

4. Central for wet ribs. BBQ nachos also very good.

5. Interstate BBQ

I’d also hit up Gus’s Fried Chicken.

Avoid Rendevouz. It’s sucks.
Commissary also pretty much sucks by Memphis standards. It would be good in any other city so surprised to see it on this list. It’s no where in the same league as Cozy Corner or payne’s

The best BBQ in west TN is Helen’s in Brownsville’s
I would add the Bar-b-que shop and I have always like Blues City cafe's ribs too.

Btaylor

WKR
In Memphis for a few days. Where do I go to get authentic Memphis BBQ, not chain stuff.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
If you need a break from Que and are downtown, I always liked the red beans and rice at Rum Boogie Cafe if it's still around.

I'm not trying to say or even imply that they are the best.

Just that they are well known in the national bbq scene as old school Memphis bbq.

Much in the same way Arthur Bryant's is known for Kansas City, or Black's and Salt Lick in Texas.

LostArra

WKR
I always associate Memphis with dry rub ribs.

I'm not a sauced rib fan unless I add the sauce. Same with wings.

Mosby

WKR
There isn't much of a difference to me between a lot of the bbq restaurants with modern kitchens outside of the sauce and I've stopped eating at most of them. The portions are getting smaller, the price is going up and the food is nothing special.

I drive through Memphis a few times a year and I am in KC monthly but I am more likely to pull over for a bbq stand by the side of the road with a smoker and a stack of wood than go into a bbq restaurant cooking meat in an oven.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the jerk dry rub wings at Central. Was only there once, but those were awesome. Everything else I had was ok. Those wings are worth it though.

Also, it's right next to the Lorraine Motel/National Civil Right Museum. Wanted to go there too but didn't have time.

Btaylor

WKR
There isn't much of a difference to me between a lot of the bbq restaurants with modern kitchens outside of the sauce and I've stopped eating at most of them. The portions are getting smaller, the price is going up and the food is nothing special.

I drive through Memphis a few times a year and I am in KC monthly but I am more likely to pull over for a bbq stand by the side of the road with a smoker and a stack of wood than go into a bbq restaurant cooking meat in an oven.
Slaps and Q39 are my go to's in KC but open to suggestions.

Poser

WKR
I'm not trying to say or even imply that they are the best.

Just that they are well known in the national bbq scene as old school Memphis bbq.

Much in the same way Arthur Bryant's is known for Kansas City, or Black's and Salt Lick in Texas.

Both are definitely “old school”, BUT for frame of reference:

Jim Neely’s Interstate BBQ had its own show on Food Network.

And Check out BBQ Shop’s award list below.

082f7cbbe323f55d2d14a64c7bd226c5.jpg