Memorable lines from grandpas

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
There were plenty but not from my da as I didn't have one but thru the yrs. I've learned a few from men I admire. LIKE " I'm so hungry my belly button is talking to my backbone"
" I'm so hungry I could eat six piglets and chase the sow for desert"
My brother always told me "you'll never be a man until you drink your coffee black"

sasquatch

WKR
one I wont forget about the phrase the good old days

"now is the good days, yea bread use to only cost a nickel but you never had a damn nickel"

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I’m setting the table for dinner, Grandpa you want a glass of water?

“Son I don’t drink water unless it’s been through the brewery first.”

On my life I’ve never seen that man drink anything besides light beer.

Shraggs

WKR
My last summer on the farm bailing hay as a teenager. . We go into town for supplies and he notices me looking at girls as we drive. He smiled as I told him id like one. He laughed, and said;

Two bulls on top of hill, young one says to the old one, hey look at all those cows let’s run down and get one! The old bull says, no... I’ll walk down and get them all.

I still don’t get it... 😊

Pretty bold considering he was also the minister.

But loved when he’d say prentnear got the tractor stuck or something

Btaylor

WKR
One that always befuddled me as a kid was "I do declare" then silence. I would be like what? What do you declare? Freaking say something. WTH?

This is one that I never heard directly from my grand dad but my own father has passed it on with credit to his dad.

"The hurrier I go the behinder I get"

"slicker than a school mama's leg"
"drier than a popcorn fart"
"raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock"

that's just the beginning. I'll remember more

"one shot, deer. two shots, maybe deer. three shots, no deer"

we used to drive deer , and coming out of a particular nasty piece "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but not in there"
Another time we came out and someone said that drive wasn't worth a Sh%$, and dad said well, its at least worth one. (after doing his business)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my grandfather on my Mom's side was a man of very modest means, but loved to get to get together with family for picnics- the men would drink cheap beer, hot dogs on the grills, kids playing kickball, etc

he would be sitting in a chair taking it all in say "wonder what the poor people are doing today?"

I use that a bunch now when I'm in the backcountry sitting back and soaking in the views- "wonder what the poor people are doing today?"

I have one question in relation to this??? Who ever measured the viscosity of owl shit or tiger shit??? My old man knew the difference obviously!!!! Anyone relate???😳😳😳

parkj5

FNG
My grandfather's two saying i can remember is " If its got tits or tires u gonna have issues with it " and being he was a WW2 rifle sergeant he used to say "Never trust a man that doesn't look u in the eye while u shake his hand "

Grumman

WKR
“If it was easy work everyone would be doing it.”

“I’ll be a suck egg mule”

I’ve enjoyed this thread and the reminiscing it made me do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk