Meindl Comfort Fit Hunter/Insulated/Extreme?

BLJ

WKR
Looking at these 3. Central WV hardwoods. Relatively steep and a lot of side hilling.
I’ve got a pair of the Cabelas branded Meindl hikers that I really like and they fit me well.
Curious if anyone has any experience with the 3? I like the rubber rand all away around the Extreme but I’m also used to 9” tall boots.
I’ve also had trouble with cold feet in the past. But I believe this is caused by my feet sweating so much.
Should I opt for the uninsulated models and use socks and liners to control moisture and warmth? Or go with the insulated version? Thanks.

I’ve owned two pair of meindl’s marketed by cabelas. I don’t remember the models. I just remember the pitiful boots. It swore me off meindl for a long time.

However, after doing some research on boots for guys with wide feet, I kept hearing meindls. I didn’t listen at first until I started reading about the difference in quality of meindl sold through meindl USA and cabelas.

If you visit their webpage, you’ll see those boots offered. But, they are made in Germany. If the boots you are inquiring about is made in germany, buy them knowing if they fit, you’ll have as fine a boot made. It’ll be the most comfortable boot you’ll have ever worn.

But, they gotta fit. If they do, you’ll be glad you bought them. They run true to size. So, follow meindls guide to buying.

I own the comfort fit hunters in 400 gram insulation. I own two pairs of the comfort fit leather hikers. One I wear everyday. One pair I hunt out of down to about 25 degrees.

They are a pretty stiff boot. Meindl rates their boot upto a c. I don’t know this firsthand but, Internet forums relates the b/c rating these bouts have to a crispy 3.5-4. It took me about 10-15 miles to get them fully broken in. It won’t seem that long because they are out of the box comfy. You’ll notice the difference once you do though.

What makes them the perfect choice is The boots are flexible enough to remain agile but, stiff enough to support. You’ll notice far less fatigue and no stiffness at in your legs and feet. WV hunting is tough steep ground. The flex in these boots are perfect for it. A pack with your whole deer and gear and these boots do great too.

If it were me, I’d buy from meindl USA. I didn’t research it but I read cabelas subbed their line out to Asian markets. I don’t know if that’s true or not. But, from the night and day difference in quality of meindls I owned from both, leads me to believe it’s likely credible.

The pair I wear everyday has untold miles and hours on them. On concrete and in the woods. I treat them weekly. They still look brand new.

I have the comfort fit extremes and I really like them. My feet are wide and most boots hurt my toes but they are comfortable in these. When I’m moving my feet stay plenty warm. I usually only wear a liner style injinji sock when wearing them. I mostly use them in the winter. My feet have stayed dry in them. My daily wear boot is a zero drop lems boot and I have no problem going back and forth between the two boots.

Seeknelk

WKR
The comfort fit hunter 400 gram would suit you well IF THEY FIT YOU (obviously😁). If I was in your boots, I'd just be wearing the comfort fit hiker NI, but I don't like tall boots and it just doesn't seem like it's actually cold where you are(I know it's all relative) and I have warm feet. I'd rather put a gaiter on if the snow is an issue, than use a taller boot but that's just like, my opinion,man.
I will say, I DO know a rather LOT of people that wear and like the comfort fit.
Cabela's hasn't sold em for years so meindlusa is your main option anyway.

currdog

FNG
Ive wore and have meindl ,lowa,kenetrek,zamberlan and others and meindl have been the best for me.I wear 10 wide in all meindl and 10.5 wide in all the others.I have the comfort fit extremes now and really like them.Remind me of my wore out pair of meindl canadas i miss having. I hunt hounds in rough hilly country in Tn .
im getting old and these comfort fit extremes have good ankle support and traction.I wore out a pair of denalis, now i think theyre called comfort fit vaccuum .They are nice but not as nice as the extremes. When cabelas was selling out of meindls i bought a pair of alaskans, ultimate hunters and ultralite hunter 400gr camo boots.They are new never worn in the box.Hope i live long enough to wear them .lol.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I’ll be ordering from Meindl USA.
I wear a 9.5 EE in the current Cabelas Meindl’ so have now. CS at Meindl USA recommended the same size if I stay with the same last.
I’ll agree that cold is relative. I’m just trying to figure out the best method for me to have warm feet in the temps I hunt in.
I do want something taller than a hiker. I’m just wondering if the Extreme’s would give me issues being to tall?
I like the full rubber rand on the Extremes. I wear gaiters a lot of the time and it seems like I’m always scuffing the insides of my boots together. I’d like the extra protection if the height wouldn’t give me issues.
Thanks to everyone.

currdog

FNG
I’ll be ordering from Meindl USA.
I wear a 9.5 EE in the current Cabelas Meindl’ so have now. CS at Meindl USA recommended the same size if I stay with the same last.
I’ll agree that cold is relative. I’m just trying to figure out the best method for me to have warm feet in the temps I hunt in.
I do want something taller than a hiker. I’m just wondering if the Extreme’s would give me issues being to tall?
I like the full rubber rand on the Extremes. I wear gaiters a lot of the time and it seems like I’m always scuffing the insides of my boots together. I’d like the extra protection if the height wouldn’t give me issues.
Thanks to everyone.
TN has pretty mild weather up to Dec so i wear uninsulated mostly.If i hunted where its cold the extremes wouldnt work.if your not in rough ankle twisting terrain you dont need the extra height but the extra height feels good to me.I ve got my eyes on Hoffman 800 gram insulated hunter boots for the cold.Not sure i like the looks of the outsoles on them.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
TN has pretty mild weather up to Dec so i wear uninsulated mostly.If i hunted where its cold the extremes wouldnt work.if your not in rough ankle twisting terrain you dont need the extra height but the extra height feels good to me.I ve got my eyes on Hoffman 800 gram insulated hunter boots for the cold.Not sure i like the looks of the outsoles on them.
I’ve looked at the Hoffmans and have heavily considered them. I’ve just had such good luck with the Meindl’s that I have reservations about changing things up.
I’ve had a difficult time finding boots that work in the past.

I bought a pair of Meindl from Cabelas 6/7 years ago to use in Southern Ohio. Pretty steep where we hunted there in Wayne NF. Slippery as well. I used them there for five years. They were great. They had the vibram sole. They are comfortable and warn enough I still wear them on my annual Ohio hunt in NW Ohio. I dont need anything that good to sit in a blind but they work great for that. They would be similar to the comfort fit hunter 400s. Doing it again I would go with uninsulated and use my sock system for warmth. These aren't showing any sign of wearing out so I guess I am stuck with them for another few years. Mine were from Cabelas but they say made in Germany. It was something due to the my larger size and width that made a difference in where they were made. One size smaller had a bit different sole.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Meindl USA fan here.

I would suggest printing their Brannock foot-measuring scale to get the right size no matter what you wear in other boots.

currdog

FNG
I’ve looked at the Hoffmans and have heavily considered them. I’ve just had such good luck with the Meindl’s that I have reservations about changing things up.
I’ve had a difficult time finding boots that work in the past.
I say meindl are my favorites but kenetrek is a close 2nd as far as fit and wear. .I have 3 prs. Unins,400 gram ,and the 1000 gr.My 1000 grs I bought new and walked in them about a hundred yards but they arè too narrow and are for sale on facebook now.Kenetreks flaw for me is the cordura on the tounge and the lighter leather at the back ankle tore up long before the rest of the boot on my uninsulated pair.Still could wear them but that bothered me being a 500.00 boot.If not for that they would maybe be my favorites.Cant beat how they fit and feel.Alot of good boots out there just too expensive and with Biden and Kamilla economics it will get worse.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Kennetreks are over budget for me.

I think I’m going to order the Extremes and see how I like them. Meindl seems to have a pretty good return policy and customer service has always been prompt for me.

hunt1up

WKR
I have two pairs of the Cabelas Meindls which are pretty much the same boot as the Vakuum boot they made now. Looks the same. I've worn them extensively for years and love them. I also have some insulated Comfort Fit Hunters that I wear then it's colder or for tree stand hunting down to maybe the 40s for temps. I'd say if you're moving a lot, then go with the uninsulated and a thicker sock. More stationary then perhaps the insulated model. Boot insulation is very subjective though. Some people can run uninsulated boots in freezing temps and some dudes are wearing 800s when it's 50.

I'd definitely stick with the Meindls with Vibram soles and a rand. I had a pair of the older 400 Perfekt Hunters I think? The ones that are just the molded non-Vibram sole with no rand. The sole separated from those boots after a couple years of simply deer hunting around Illinois.

Reactions: BLJ