Meeker Sept archery DIY hunt

Folks like yourself that post once, want some info and will never be heard from again…annually .
I'm a newbie as well. I'm more interested in what not to do. I'm very confident in my ability but the reality is I'm not 25 and my ability is not great. That gets me into situations mumbling to myself "look what you've done now, why why why" 😀

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, apologize. I had no intention of guys giving up spots or honey holes. Just general information to help on how to start.
I don’t think you did anything wrong. His post was live when you quoted it but any edit actions don’t automatically reflect on quotes

OP
T

TThorn51

FNG
I'm a newbie as well. I'm more interested in what not to do. I'm very confident in my ability but the reality is I'm not 25 and my ability is not great. That gets me into situations mumbling to myself "look what you've done now, why why why" 😀
Understood!

Get in shape. Truck camping is perfect so you can keep trying new areas until you find them. Best of luck!

K.S.

FNG
I’m 51 and from northern indiana…
There ain’t much air in the air in Colorado!
Cardio, cardio and more cardio. Once that’s done, do more cardio!
And you still won’t be able to breathe when you first get there and start moving.
You can not be in too good of shape. (Understatement of the day)
Get there a few days before your hunt if at all possible.
Mentally prepare yourself to get your teeth kicked in and it’s gonna hurt!
It’s an absolute blast!!!
Good luck

Best advice thats universal anywhere in the west. Hike, hike, hike until ya find em,... Have low expectations, elk hunting isn't easy but I've been in that area and plenty of elk around if you can find them .

nantzh

FNG
I am from Southern In as well. Last year was my first CO archery OTC hunt. There are lots of people, but honestly once we got in a couple miles it wasnt that bad and we got into some elk. Couple days where we never saw another hunter.
Just get in shape and get some decent gear. Then go in with the expectation of being able to disconnect and enjoy a week in the mountains. We didnt kill anything last year and it was one of the best weeks of my life. Managing expectations is huge.

Will be back again this year.

xziang

WKR
I am close to OP age too, just be darn careful and go slow and be methodical with where you step. I would rather walk/hike 2 miles on trail then bushwack 1 mile. Also am a big fan of deLorme inreach too.

I am close to OP age too, just be darn careful and go slow and be methodical with where you step. I would rather walk/hike 2 miles on trail then bushwack 1 mile. Also am a big fan of deLorme inreach too.
I've been looking at the inreach mini 2.
I've been looking at the inreach mini 2. I think there's a way people can track you from a website. I tracked a friend sailing from the BVI to NC. It was cool to see where he was anchored.

xziang

WKR
I've been looking at the inreach mini 2.

I've been looking at the inreach mini 2. I think there's a way people can track you from a website. I tracked a friend sailing from the BVI to NC. It was cool to see where he was anchored.
Yes. You can have someone access your delorme page and follow your movement. They can also 'ping' your device to see where you are at. It would show your location and speed too. At least this is how I recall it working 5 or so years ago. I had 3 preset msgs I would send to my contacts that includes a link to where I was at. Preset msgs didn't cost much if anything pending on plan.