Meeker Sept archery DIY hunt

TThorn51

FNG
Hello forum! I am a newb, form southern Indiana. I am a 51-year-old avid bowhunter and have always wanted to bow hunt elk in Colorado. Brother-in-law and I have said life is to short and we decided to just stop talking about and do it! We are staying in Meeker and if anyone would be willing to help with some info or advice were to start as we no experience hunting elk. We are not trophy hunters and we are wanting to hunt hard and have a great experience! I am use to chasing monster whitetail here in the Midwest and totally understand elk are completely different. I cant wait to see and learn all I can about elk hunting.
Any advice on units? Looking at 211, 13 22.
I appreciate any info or help!
Thanks

Hello forum! I am a newb, form southern Indiana. I am a 51-year-old avid bowhunter and have always wanted to bow hunt elk in Colorado. Brother-in-law and I have said life is to short and we decided to just stop talking about and do it! We are staying in Meeker and if anyone would be willing to help with some info or advice were to start as we no experience hunting elk. We are not trophy hunters and we are wanting to hunt hard and have a great experience! I am use to chasing monster whitetail here in the Midwest and totally understand elk are completely different. I cant wait to see and learn all I can about elk hunting.
Any advice on units? Looking at 211, 13 22.
I appreciate any info or help!
Thanks

Going to be packed with others. Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
This forum is inundated with folks like yourself every year who will be thrown under the bus by the forum members. Let me give you some sound advice. There is lots of free info via podcasts that you can learn from, take advantage. There are plenty more resources that you can buy that you may want to think about. Be prepared to see more hunters then elk and don’t be surprised if you don’t see any elk. Enjoy every aspect of this adventure and learn from it. It takes years to learn just like when you started bowhunting to start putting the pieces together. No one is going to share their spot or even their trailhead, besides that changes every year including where the animals are. In a nutshell, have fun, pack a trout rod as backup and good luck to you.

Last edited:
OP
T

TThorn51

FNG
This forum is inundated with folks like yourself every year who will be thrown under the bus by the forum members. Let me give you some sound advice. There is lots of free info via podcasts that you can learn from take advantage. There are plenty more resources that you can buy that you may want to think about. Be prepared to see more hunters then elk and don’t be surprised if you don’t see any elk. Enjoy every aspect of this adventure and learn from it. It takes years to learn just like when you started bowhunting to start putting the pieces together. No one is going to share their spot or even their trailhead, besides that changes every year including where the animals are. In a nutshell, have fun, pack a trout rod as backup and good luck to you.
Thank you lyingflatlander, totally understand your statements! I appreciate the feedback as I anticipated everything you said. Was just hopeful someone might share some insight on elk movement, elevation. Never did I think or want someone to give up info on honey holes. I want to earn what I get. Even if it's just a sighting.
I appreciate your honesty and input.

There is a ton of info available for those who look for it.

Generally speaking: the elk will likely be high, almost as high as they can get. I'd start looking there. If you don't find them, keep moving and looking. Big game densities in the west are a lot lower than you're used to. Good habitat might have 1 elk per square mile, except they're herd animals, so it's more like one herd of 20 elk per 20 square miles. Lastly, there are going to be lots of folks. I'd rather hunt marginal habitat with no hunters than great habitat with lots of hunters.

After that, your own passion and determination will correlate to your experience. You should ravenously consume information between now and then, and try to be in good physical condition.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
I live in Meeker and guide surrounding GMUs. Feel free to send me a message and we can chat.

OP
T

TThorn51

FNG
There is a ton of info available for those who look for it.

Generally speaking: the elk will likely be high, almost as high as they can get. I'd start looking there. If you don't find them, keep moving and looking. Big game densities in the west are a lot lower than you're used to. Good habitat might have 1 elk per square mile, except they're herd animals, so it's more like one herd of 20 elk per 20 square miles. Lastly, there are going to be lots of folks. I'd rather hunt marginal habitat with no hunters than great habitat with lots of hunters.

After that, your own passion and determination will correlate to your experience. You should ravenously consume information between now and then, and try to be in good physical condition.
Thanks Dos, I am trying to be a sponge right now and learn as much as possible from good folks like yourself. I am used to hunting pressure here and try and use that to my advantaged so what you said about the habitat with no hunters makes since!
Alright, I’ve camped at Lots of hunters, lots of outfitters, that should about wrap that up for you then.
Thanks lyingflatlander

Last edited by a moderator:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Did he respond with YOUR spot?
They’re all my spots.

Seriously though, I think Robby said 50,000 people look at rokslide a day. If a fraction of a percent is looking at a similar spot, which happens all the time, then it can really mess something up. How many times do people post about an area then someone else says “I’m interested too”. Why is it so hard to send a DM?

They’re all my spots.

Seriously though, I think Robby said 50,000 people look at rokslide a day. If a fraction of a percent is looking at a similar spot, which happens all the time, then it can really mess something up. How many times do people post about an area then someone else says “I’m interested too”. Why is it so hard to send a DM?
did I say it was hard to send a DM? How small does an area have to be to meet your criteria for needing a DM? That lake is darn big, and the area surrounding it has a TON of hunts left land. There was about 0 information of specific value in that comment.

OP
T

TThorn51

FNG
I appreciate any and all the help! Again not asking for spots, just elevations (which has been answered) .
Like anyone else I'll have to find the elk to see an elk. And I'll keep moving to try and stay away from other hunters.
Again appreciate the responses!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cleaned up the quoted posts that were showing the information of a spot since the original author had deleted the comment.

I believe the ability to send a private message is a minimum of 10 post and it may take 24 hours to activate after that 10th post.

OP
T

TThorn51

FNG
I cleaned up the quoted posts that were showing the information of a spot since the original author had deleted the comment.

I believe the ability to send a private message is a minimum of 10 post and it may take 24 hours to activate after that 10th post.
Thanks, apologize. I had no intention of guys giving up spots or honey holes. Just general information to help on how to start.