Medrino back to synthetics?

OP
todd kelly
Does anyone have any opinions on Sitka's baselayers with the ATB-100 Silver Scent Inhibiting Technology for odor control?

DaveC

WKR
Does anyone have any opinions on Sitka's baselayers with the ATB-100 Silver Scent Inhibiting Technology for odor control?

The non-silver threads still stink.

I've yet to find any anti-stink technology which does much for pure synthetics. Even polygiene gets washed out and beat down. These treatments are fine for folks who use their technical layers 2 weeks a year, useless for those who wash them 3 times a week.

OP
todd kelly
The non-silver threads still stink.

I've yet to find any anti-stink technology which does much for pure synthetics. Even polygiene gets washed out and beat down. These treatments are fine for folks who use their technical layers 2 weeks a year, useless for those who wash them 3 times a week.

Thanks, Thats what I thought, not that the non-stank thing really matters to me. I never pack spare base layers anyways, and even merino stinks after a few days.

I like the UA cold gear when moving. If I'm sitting a long time I have heavier military poly pro. The ECWC (issue) waffle style top and pants or pretty good. You can by them from US Cavalry and Ranger Joes

The new polygene synthetic stuff is sounding pretty appealing. Apparently no more stink! Thats yet to be determined but I'm excited to be going back to synthetics. Much more durable and cheaper. Feels much nicer against the skin than merino to me.

Im excited to try the 100% synthetic with polygene and the hybrid synthetic/merino blends.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sure like my merino.. Will be interesting to see how the new merged fabrics perform.

boom

WKR
i use both. if it is a car hunting trip, i use synthetics..cause i can pack extra clean pairs when i start to stink. i love the stuff.

if i am packing in..merino wool.

Columbia omni heat base layers my favorite synthetic baselayer. I have some rub in synthetic base layer cleaner, that works really well but forget the name. Will have to did through my pack

Vandal 44

WKR
I have some very old Cabelas lite Synthetic shirts with silver thread in it. These thing work great and I don't stink even after 4 or 5 days of hunting. I do like my lite merino base layers.

I tried wool for a while, but went back to synthetic layers. The quick drying time was key for me. When in a wet environment, or when you have to wash in the field, it makes a huge difference for me.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Medrino, eh? : )
Anyone else out there going back to synthetic base layers? I jumped on the merino bandwagon a few years ago, but now am going back to my synthetic stuff. I find in the areas I hunt, wet, humid and cold, that the performance of merino is not what I want. Merino takes way too long to dry, is heavier, and costs a ton. The only thing I really liked about it is the stink control, but from what I have been reading the last while the new synthetics are catching up in this area.

Personally, I see merino as more of a dry climate, summer layer where you want your base layer that drys slowly to help cool you off.

I tried wool for a while, but went back to synthetic layers. The quick drying time was key for me. When in a wet environment, or when you have to wash in the field, it makes a huge difference for me.
But, my wool still keeps me warm when it is wet. Sometimes I spend 7-10 days where I am pretty much wet the whole time. Pros and cons to each and I think the well equipped hunter should probably have a mixture of both.

That's interesting. My wool clothing didn't kept me warm when wet. Each time I have gotten wet, no matter what I've been wearing, I've been cold. That's why I started prioritizing drying time.

Ironman8

WKR
I'm thinking one of the newer "wonder synthetics" for hiking around to/from glassing spots and wool for sleeping or possibly for extended glassing sessions (say if you had a sweaty baselayer from the hike in and wanted to change to your dry wool baselayer).

I've got a pile of both, and haven't used any of the synthetic tops in several years. Way, way happier with the wool. It drys slower, but is far more comfortable and warmer in the process. I get sweaty and then get chilled much easier in synthetic tops, and find it miserable to sleep in.

I do still regularly use synthetic base layers on the bottom however, primarily because it has more stretch. Since my legs don't sweat much, its much more comfortable in that application. Works for me.

Yk

jwb300

WKR
Has anyone tried out that badlands baselayers they say that the material is bamboo and is natural odor absorbing and wicks great. They have it at blackovis.com

I haven't tried that gear but I have some bamboo socks and they take forever to dry. They are comfortable and don't get stinky but if they get wet they almost need to go through the dryer to fully dry out.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's interesting. My wool clothing didn't kept me warm when wet. Each time I have gotten wet, no matter what I've been wearing, I've been cold. That's why I started prioritizing drying time.
Perhaps it is in my head.. ;) I read your studies on your blog. Good stuff there... I wonder if you could repeat those studies with damp wool under a shell. For me damp wool under a shell "feels" warmer than damp polyester under a shell. Its also easier for me to wear dry. I typically go with lighter weight merino wool. I prefer the thinner fabrics and layer as needed. (First Lite Lano & the KUIU Merino T (the super light thin version) being my two favorites; for example)

For others who want to read Ross work:
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/11/fleece-vs-wool-insulation.html
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/03/does-wool-keep-you-warm-when-wet.html

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone else have issues with merino smelling like a wet dog when it gets wet? I have some Kuiu, Icebreaker and Smartwool merino tops and beanies. Every time they get wet with sweat, I get a wet dog smell. They don't stink when dry so that's good, but I'm still considering going back to synthetic.

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
Yes all my stuff smelled like a wet dog when it got wet when it was new. The more times I wore and washed the more it went away.

I have worn the crap out of my firstlite lano and I can definately make it smell horrible after a few days of hard hiking. That said for as much wear and abuse as its taken it is my favorite light top and holding up great.

Merino may take longer to dry than synthetics, but there isnt a synthetic on the planet yet that retains the heat retention abilities when wet like merino does.

charvey9

WKR
I hunt the PNW, which is dry most of the summer/early season then a monsoon in the late seasons and spring. I love merino in all conditions over synthetics. You may be right that synthetics will dry slightly easier, but are not as warm when they are wet and wick away moisture far better than any of the synthetics I have tried. To me it feels like you sweat less in merino, since it wicks away the mositure so much better than synthetics.

In fact I often go for a run up in the coast range. Its raining/misting almost every day during the fall/spring and merino is best for running in wet weather without overheating, yet still staying warm.