Medrino back to synthetics?

Anyone else out there going back to synthetic base layers? I jumped on the merino bandwagon a few years ago, but now am going back to my synthetic stuff. I find in the areas I hunt, wet, humid and cold, that the performance of merino is not what I want. Merino takes way too long to dry, is heavier, and costs a ton. The only thing I really liked about it is the stink control, but from what I have been reading the last while the new synthetics are catching up in this area.

Personally, I see merino as more of a dry climate, summer layer where you want your base layer that drys slowly to help cool you off.

Trr15

WKR
You could be right about the dry climate bit. I live and hunt in the arid Rocky Mountain west, and merino is by far my favorite base layer. Can't speak to wet weather performance though,

Its funny you mentioned that. I just ordered some merino for the first time today. I really like my synthetics for staying warm and drying super fast. I dont really get the smell factor with them in colder weather. I plan on using the merino during bow season. From everything I hear about the smell factor I figure it will help me cut weight by not having to pack extra shirts.

OP
todd kelly
And here I was thinking that my post the other day just wasn't that interesting...ties right in Todd, don't know if you saw it...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?16965-Really-Interesting-Baselayer-Vids-by-ProLite-Gear

yeah, I missed your post. I also have been watching a few of their videos the last few months. Pretty cool to see a gear store doing their own testing on gear. I've been thinking of contacting them to see if they would be willing to do some reviews on some of the new hunting clothing thats out there to see how it stacks up.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I still use synthetics sometimes also. I prefer merino for the longer trips where the smell becomes an issue.

Ironman8

WKR
yeah, I missed your post. I also have been watching a few of their videos the last few months. Pretty cool to see a gear store doing their own testing on gear. I've been thinking of contacting them to see if they would be willing to do some reviews on some of the new hunting clothing thats out there to see how it stacks up.

That would be very interesting!

When it comes to synthetic base layers & smell, I find that leaving a little anti-microbial
soap residue on the clothes really helps it combat bacteria growth resulting from days of sweat.
Normally I just add a dab HS Body Shampoo and then do a final rinse & spin treatment.
HS Body Soap seems to work best for me anyway.

I usually take a little of the soap along on trips (for creekside washrag baths)
and to freshen up my clothes I'll add some water to a silnylon stuff sack,
a dab of HS body soap and a change of clothes.
Shake until I grow tired, rinse in creek and hang dry in breeze
or tie off back of pack while I move on.

Anyway, just a little tip.
Hunt'nFish

OP
todd kelly
I am going back to synthetic boxers. The compression and slickness against my pants outweighs the stink. Thin merino tops still though.

Is there a particular brand of boxers you like? I do like merino for boxers, but they wear out so fast that I can't justify spending $40 on a single pair that only last a couple of weeks of use.

Honestly I think the stink factor is over rated. I love merino an for a 7 day trip I'll take 2 baselayers, if I take syn I'll take 3. By day 4 it doesn't matter what I wear I stink. My pants are syn and so are my boxers and most of my hats. If you don't play the wind it doesn't matter what your wearing. I think it helps to wear merino, but maybe for my or my hunting buddies benefit more then actually for keeping my scent away from game.

Sold all of the non-merino shirts that I had except one. Perhaps it's mental, but after two days I stink to high heaven, but the pits on the merino do not. If I wore a synthetic shirt I can smell my funk in the shirt even when I'm not wearing it. So for me it's just merino anymore.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a question. For the guys who use syn base layers, which brands do you use?? I wouldn't mind picking up a set of syn base layers.

DaveC

WKR
I use both, but synthetic far more often. Merino heavier than 150 g/meter ends up an intolerable moisture trap, and the poor durability of wool that thin gets old fast. Plus, the light powerdry HE layers (e.g. Patagonia Cap 4) are so good its hard to use anything else in the cold.

merino for me in the hot humid summer , everyday wear cept when doing some heavy brush cutting. up north right now freezing my arse off. cant wait to get back home

bcimport

WKR
New 9" UA or 9" Marks for me. Much more comfy than first lite or mec boxers. I can rinse them out and have them dry in less than a day too. Merino always seemed to stretch and didn't support like I wanted. Ditto on the heavy merino not drying too. On the last fly in I wore my synthetic shirt next to my skin despite the stink because I didn't like that the wool was taking too long to dry and wicked moisture up the sleeves. Gonna try a thin wool shirt and a med weight fleece for this years fly in.

Here's a question. For the guys who use syn base layers, which brands do you use?? I wouldn't mind picking up a set of syn base layers.
Under Armour, Cabela's & Xtek (for the thin stuff), Hunters Specialties Tek4 (for colder) and Polartec (for my winter ECWC). I also like the Polartec 1/4 shirts for a mid layer in the fall & winter. I've also really taken to the HS Tek4 jockies. The Tek4 stuff has an anti-microbial material in the threads and really does well eliminating stink and crotch rot.
I also add a dab of HS Body Soap to the water when I re-hydrate my scent wipes for morning clean up.
Anyway works for me.
Hunt'nFish

Retterath

WKR
Has anyone tried out that badlands baselayers they say that the material is bamboo and is natural odor absorbing and wicks great. They have it at blackovis.com