Mechanical broadheads for elk

rpeebles

FNG
Who's using mechanical broadhead's for elk? What brands? Pros/cons?

I'm currently using a fixed-blade (G5 Montec). I love the broadhead, but it makes a good deal of noise in-flight. I'm considering making a switch, but thought I would ask around before I part with my cash.

Thanks!

MattB

WKR
In flight noise would be one of the last reasons to switch BH's IMO. I have shot a lot of animals with MBH's, but elk is one species I would stick to a fixed blade for. Elk are dense, and MBH's in general do not have the penetration potential of a good fixed blade.

Beendare

WKR
I think most experienced guys think like Matt above. Elk are big heavy critters where a few more inches of penetration can make the difference between a kill or a lost animal. I like a strong Tapered design COC head over the short heads.

Shoot an unsuspecting elk with those and many times they just stand there not knowing they have been shot...until they fall over.

wapitibob

WKR
I'm a spitfire or thunderhead fan, just depends on the state I'm hunting. I'm done trying broadheads, these two have produced noticeably better results than the slew of others I've killed elk with.

Bulldawg

WKR
I've shot several elk with a T3 clean pass through except on one bull that was at 65 yards and the broad head was buried in his opposite shoulder blade.. Mechanicals work just as good on elk as they do deer.. Buddy shot his with a havoc this year that split a cow wide open

bwlacy

WKR
I will be using fixed head, but I've also never shot an elk. I've shot numerous white tails since 1982 and still have no experience with mechanical heads. I've looked at the T3 and like the looks of it but haven't tried it. My Dad has shot the 3 blade Rage for several years now with no problems on deer and really good penetration for a 3 blade mechanical.

I'll either shoot Thunderhead 125's, Steelforce, or Magnus this fall for my elk hunt.

BSeals71

WKR
I've killed elk with both mechanical and fix blade broadheads. Over the years I am starting to prefer fixed blade for elk.

Really... Shot placement is what will kill a elk.

I am not a fan of Mechanicals on elk. I would never go that route, but with respect to your question. Do a search on the Rocket Steelhead. This is one mechanical that you will see as much feedback on penetration (on any size critter) as any fixed blade out there. You won't find a bad word about them.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I have killed 4 elk with rage broadheads.. No issues
And witnessed 2 more killed with them.. I believe shot placement is the key..

That being said I have been using fixed blades now and will stay with them..

Slick trick standards 100 gr have worked great for me. Busted both shoulders on a bull last year at 65 yards and gotten pass through on others. The square 1 inch cutting surface is actually bigger then a lot of expendables when you calc surface area and the fact that cut on contact fixed blades entrance and exit holes are the same. And its true MBH don't penetrate as well...regardless of what all the millions in advertising tell you.

bz_711

WKR
Really... Shot placement is what will kill a elk.

They all work just fine both fixed and mechanical.

Every elk I've shot or been a part in packing out was shot with mechanical - and no lost or wounded critters yet. Practice with your bow is 10x more important that what broadhead you shoot...you could hand me any head off a Walmart shelf and I would be confident in it killing elk.

Do what makes you most confident! Good Luck!

Beendare

WKR
Do a search on the Rocket Steelhead. This is one mechanical that you will see as much feedback on penetration (on any size critter) as any fixed blade out there. You won't find a bad word about them.

i've seen 3 elk lost using those steelheads....my buddy shot them for years on a 390ish gr arrow. My guess is 2 of the lost bulls would be dead with a more efficient BH.

brown4christ

Lil-Rokslider
You might look at G5's other fixed broadhead the Striker. I used to shoot montecs. They worked well but are noisy and the older versions were hard to keep sharp.
I use the Strikers now. They fly just like my field points are a lot quieter and I have no problem with penetration or blood trail. I killed a 5x5 bull last year with them and he only ran 40 yards and piled up.

i've seen 3 elk lost using those steelheads....my buddy shot them for years on a 390ish gr arrow. My guess is 2 of the lost bulls would be dead with a more efficient BH.

First bad word :) I guess that could be said for any head really...but good to know

charvey9

WKR
Have never used mechanicals myself, but saw some awesome holes in big black bears last year with the guys in camp that were shooting Rage Hypodermics. Still, I can't see switching to mechs if I didn't have problems getting fixed blades to fly.

COhuntin

FNG
My buddy was using the G5 montec and lost his bull, I also used them and had no blood trial and was hard to find my bull. I have heard 3-4 other stories over the last couple months or so about G5 not working well. I am switching, haven't decided to what though. Good to hear the feedback from everyone though.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are always an interesting thread. I shot montecs for years and only heard one shot ever whistle. They also killed several animals. I shot the Ulmers the last several years including an elk last year. That was dead in about 25 yards. I also had trouble with the Ulmers on some animals. If you get a broad head to penetrate the vitals, you will probably fill your tag. Marginal shot placement is what leads to long blood trails or lost animals. No broad head is perfect, shoot what works for you the best out of your set up.

KMT

WKR
I've only used fixes blade broadheads. They are the NAP thunderheads. Never had a problem with them. Not saying they are the best or the worst broadhead on the market. They just happened to be the first kind that I ever bought. But poor shot placement, even with a titanium, carbon sharpened moon-rock broadhead is going to give you bad results.

In the past I've shot Thunder heads, Hellrazors and last year Ulmer edge expandables with good luck with all 3, but I've been looking and reading and I'm going to try Wacems this coming season. Good looking, fly well and are very tough.