Mechanical and Civil Engineering

mtntppr

FNG
If he really likes math, he might also consider Operations Research or Data Science. Those are fairly math-heavy/analytics-driven.

Operations Research is kind of a good segue to the business side of things and provides the opportunity for natural progression to Data Science.

With machine learning and AI...I would take a hard look at either one of those as an alternative to engineering.

Reactions: 307

southLA

WKR
Steer him to Land Surveying. The engineering fields are saturated (you can still find a job though). Land Surveying pays as well if not better in some cases and tough to find people. The career lives in the shadows of the engineering umbrella and with good work ethic, you can make a great living. If he likes to work outside, it's an extremely great field, but you can find an office job too.
Around here there is a big shortage of PLS. I was just looking at a list of new PEs across the state and it dwarfed the PLS list (on the order of maybe 20 or 30 to 1). I would look into getting my PLS (have my PE) but working on MBA currently.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a mechanical (in the SE US) and work in R&D testing for a manufacturing company. I have also worked as a Manufacturing Engineer/Manager in automotive.

If I were starting over again right now, I would be focusing on power generation/distribution and not automotive manufacturing (my starting job).

I think Power Gen will be a really big growth opportunity in the US. I think it will need CE/ME/EE disciplines to make it work. The power needs in the US are getting ready to seriously spike with AI//Data centers/EVs springing up everywhere which will require massive investment in generation and distribution to meet the demand. All of that will require tons of engineers to design/develop/implement.

I hope he enjoys it.
Any engineer with a power gen background is very employable

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider
For power generation push your boy to the navy .
I'm working with a few fusion start ups and data center contractors and they are loaded with nukes that went to university after their time in the navy

cciliske

FNG
I'm a chemical engineer, so not necessarily directly on the Civil / Mechanical discussion, but between the two I think I'd lean mechanical as its pretty darn flexible across industries (admittedly some better than others). Engineers generally have pretty strong opportunities so I don't think there's a ton of difference between the opening other than Civil may have more rural positions than Mechanical. I do think Mechanical probably has more earning potential though if that matters - but not by a ton.

WKR
If he really likes math, he might also consider Operations Research or Data Science. Those are fairly math-heavy/analytics-driven.

Operations Research is kind of a good segue to the business side of things and provides the opportunity for natural progression to Data Science.

With machine learning and AI...I would take a hard look at either one of those as an alternative to engineering.

I'm not in the field, but my wife is, and the above is excellent advice. The $ they'll throw at data science and AI engineers is enough to make your head spin, and can be done remote.

mtntppr

FNG
The interviews are a lot of fun because they typically ask you a couple brainteasers to really put you on the spot.

WKR
My wife's job is incredible. She doesn't deal with the public, ever, and interacts as part of a team of really smart people who are all working together to solve a problem. I bet she doesn't ever talk to someone with an IQ below 120. She works remotely, enjoys most of her daily workload, and they treat her like an important intellectual asset and pay her accordingly.

I wish I had known such a thing could exist...

Career choice is easily #1 or 2 most important life decision IMO.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
My wife's job is incredible. She doesn't deal with the public, ever, and interacts as part of a team of really smart people who are all working together to solve a problem. I bet she doesn't ever talk to someone with an IQ below 120. She works remotely, enjoys most of her daily workload, and they treat her like an important intellectual asset and pay her accordingly.

I wish I had known such a thing could exist...

Career choice is easily #1 or 2 most important life decision IMO.
What field is your wife in?

Around here there is a big shortage of PLS. I was just looking at a list of new PEs across the state and it dwarfed the PLS list (on the order of maybe 20 or 30 to 1). I would look into getting my PLS (have my PE) but working on MBA currently.

In 10 years a PLS is going to be able to name his price. That particular profession has heated up big time.

hikenhunt

WKR
Not sure about the PLS, but if you don't have a four-year engineering degree, you will need to work under direct supervision of a PE for 8 years instead of 4 before you can sit to take the PE exam. At least that's the case in WA

IdahoBeav

WKR
Not sure about the PLS, but if you don't have a four-year engineering degree, you will need to work under direct supervision of a PE for 8 years instead of 4 before you can sit to take the PE exam. At least that's the case in WA
In many states, you can sit for the PE exam prior to the 4 or 8 years. You just won't be able to get licensed until the experience requirement is met. I have encountered only a couple people that attempted the PE exam without an engineering degree, and they were not able to pass. However, I have also known a few with degrees that were never able to pass and were, therefore, limited in their careers. My recommendation is to take the FE junior year of college and take the PE (even if it requires travelling out of state) right after graduation.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
In many states, you can sit for the PE exam prior to the 4 or 8 years. You just won't be able to get licensed until the experience requirement is met. I have encountered only a couple people that attempted the PE exam without an engineering degree, and they were not able to pass. However, I have also known a few with degrees that were never able to pass and were, therefore, limited in their careers. My recommendation is to take the FE junior year of college and take the PE (even if it requires travelling out of state) right after graduation.
I believe with NCEES administering tests on a computer at testing centers, you can take the test anywhere. For example, I am looking to take the PE electrical in the next 6-12 months, even though I graduated in May. I'm gonna take the Wyoming board test, since they are decoupled, but do it physically in Montana.

If he really likes math and tech and is prioritizing his decision based on salary to complete the NA29, take a hard look at software engineering. My BIL is a software engineer and makes our dual household income of an environ engineer/doctor of PT look like we live in poverty 😂

Land Surveying seems like a good job for someone in their twenties or someone with no kids. Maybe it’s different in AK, but those guys are all working months away from home at a time and the worst hours. I know numerous that have had to change careers as home life had to take priority. I’d rather work an oil field job and make the same or more and at least have a set schedule.

Reactions: 307
If he really likes math and tech and is prioritizing his decision based on salary to complete the NA29, take a hard look at software engineering. My BIL is a software engineer and makes our dual household income of an environ engineer/doctor of PT look like we live in poverty 😂

Land Surveying seems like a good job for someone in their twenties or someone with no kids. Maybe it’s different in AK, but those guys are all working months away from home at a time and the worst hours. I know numerous that have had to change careers as home life had to take priority. I’d rather work an oil field job and make the same or more and at least have a set schedule.
I think software engineering is a saturated field over the last couple years now. It was a bit easier of a degree, and you could make even more money, so there was a mass influx of people studying it recently, and now the market is saturated. Money is definitely still there, it will be just harder now then it was 5 years ago to get a job out of college.