Meateater selling sig sauer optics

Saw the announcement on their site. Interested to see how this works with their Vortex sponsorship.

EdP

WKR
Not too big a surprise that Meateater would switch optic sponsors. Rinella did the same thing with packs over the years. Whoever offers the best deal gets touted on the shows. I do think they stick to quality mfgs and don't push junk.

ODB

WKR
It’s just more of the Chernin e-commerce platform machine. To the letter. Generate interest with shows, blogs, and podcasts, then sell the goods needed to satisfy the want. The perception of brand independence (even to a degree) builds ethos and loyalty.

It’s a good grift if you can get it.

dtrkyman

WKR
Sig has been aggressive over the past few years pimping their optics. Hear good things but have not handled them.

I find it funny how people criticize hunting "celebs" for changing brands, If someone offered you more money to do the exact same thing you certainly would!

I’m seem to remember quite a few scope/zero/marksmanship issues on the regular show and YT show with Vortex. Maybe part of the reason?

Edited to add: I’d really like a Form-style zero test of the Sig scope lineup

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
I’m seem to remember quite a few scope/zero/marksmanship issues on the regular show and YT show. Maybe part of the reason?

Eta: I’d really like a Form-style zero test of the Sig scope lineup
Form had some fairly caustic things to say about Sig riflescopes in at least one thread that I remember. I don't think this is a step up.

I agree, they seem to have some issues that could very easily be related to scope durability and functionality.

At this point I put zero weight on Meateater's product recommendations.

OP
Desk Jockey
Only direct comparisons I have are range finders and cheaper red dots.

my sig kilo is way better than my gen 1 vortex range finder. higher price point on the sig, in fairness.

I have a vortex red dot on a turkey gun. It is fine. Holding up as well as a sig dot on a steel challenge 22 I have.

I will say, of the 7-8 vortex items I have, two have been back for warranty work. no questions. Replaced with a new item in short order. Fortunately neither ruined a hunt.

ODB

WKR
Sig has been aggressive over the past few years pimping their optics. Hear good things but have not handled them.

I find it funny how people criticize hunting "celebs" for changing brands, If someone offered you more money to do the exact same thing you certainly would!

And would you not simply feel like a shill?

You can only claim the brand you are currently using is top notch so many times before the credibility you built on the front end drops off the cliff.

He is a "social media influencer" to the big brands and nothing more. He gets paid to advertise and likely gets a kickback for doing so. IMO that doesn't imply anything about the gear he uses. Just a paid advertisement.

Do your homework, neither Vortex or Sig Optics are anywhere near the top tier of optics, and some would even question middle tier.

And would you not simply feel like a shill?

You can only claim the brand you are currently using is top notch so many times before the credibility you built on the front end drops off the cliff.
Yep.
It'd be more accurate to say "these people are now sponsoring our show."
Rather than, "these people have be making the best_______ for years and we think they're the best too."

Reactions: ODB

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
He is a "social media influencer" to the big brands and nothing more. He gets paid to advertise and likely gets a kickback for doing so. IMO that doesn't imply anything about the gear he uses. Just a paid advertisement.

Do your homework, neither Vortex or Sig Optics are anywhere near the top tier of optics, and some would even question middle tier.

Agreed. The only thing worth the money they sell are their range finders. The 2400+ABS is arguably the best range finders there is. You could give me a scope or Bino free that I would use vs my nightforce and zeiss glass.

I always cringe at influencers who have to use lesser optics in the field. But I guess when you’re that famous and hunt for a living you’re pretty much guaranteed game year after year.