Meat tarps

This is the visqueen that I always carry in my kill kit, and I don’t believe there has been a single time that I haven’t needed it or used it for something. I’ve definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it every time.
0a2340bf327b4f395bca8bb291ed10af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to beat Tyvek...lightweight, tear resistant, cleans up well. Also makes a good ground cover for your sleeping pad if needed.

wapitibob

WKR
Bushes, logs, or rocks are what I normally use. I have also used a vinyl table cloth and a space blanket. The space blanket lasted 90 seconds. Using rocks, logs, or whatever is nearby this year.

Axlrod

WKR
Myself and a few of my hunting buddies use the Marsupial ones. We have a few years on them with no issues.

BBob

WKR
Nothing new for me. I still use an emergency space blanket for elk unless I’m close to the truck and then it’s Tyvek. For Coues deer I use a large garbage bag to lay stuff on before boning it out. Regardless of hunt type I always have a space blanket, a large garbage bag and at least two game bags with me. I add more game bags during elk hunts.

I always have game bags so just use the animal's hide to set a quarter on while I prep the bag. I always do gutless starting from the underbelly/inside the legs and skin back over the top so the hide stays whole and there's plenty of space to lay a couple quarters on if need be. If you start your cut on the back then you only got half a hide and a little less space.

Fitzwho

WKR
To update my post from 5 years ago. I have used the marsupial meat tarp for a couple years. It’s nice, but I found it hard to clean.

Picked up a new set of game bags and a meat tarp from Grakksaw for this season.

I always have game bags so just use the animal's hide to set a quarter on while I prep the bag. I always do gutless starting from the underbelly/inside the legs and skin back over the top so the hide stays whole and there's plenty of space to lay a couple quarters on if need be. If you start your cut on the back then you only got half a hide and a little less space.
This is the way I take care of the meat as well. I did skin one from the back down to the belly once to see what all the fuss was about. Never again! Always from the belly side down to the backbone and then use the inside of the hide as your tarp. I also tie on a piece of paracord on the quarter to hang on a field game pole.

Last edited:

fishslap

WKR
I have one from Marsupial gear I like. It’s small but that’s all I need since I get the meat in game bags quickly. I use it up against the animal and just put the pieces on temporarily then bag. I found it helps keep the meat cleaner from incidental ground or hair contact even when using the hide as ground protection also.

MT_Fin

WKR
I have a 10x10 rip stop BCO tarp which doubles as shelter. It’s light and works fairly well, easy to clean.