Meat Grinder

My little Costco Weston grinder has been sufficient for years but I'd like to upgrade. I was surprised to see it is a #8 3/4 HP motor. Would I be any better off with a Cabelas or LEM 3/4 HP grinder? Or do I need to go 1 HP to really see a difference?

jhm2023

WKR
#8 is usually a 1/2 horse. I personally don't care for the LEM grinders. As far as going up to a #22 1 horse, I'd say it depends on how much meat you grind. The older model Cabela's grinders were made by Weston. The Weston made Cabela's #22 I had ran like a champ processing probably close to 600-800 pounds of meat per year. I sold it only to get the new Cabela's model, it was still going strong.

OP
G
#8 is usually a 1/2 horse. I personally don't care for the LEM grinders. As far as going up to a #22 1 horse, I'd say it depends on how much meat you grind. The older model Cabela's grinders were made by Weston. The Weston made Cabela's #22 I had ran like a champ processing probably close to 600-800 pounds of meat per year. I sold it only to get the new Cabela's model, it was still going strong.
Are the new Cabelas "Carnivore" grinders not made by Weston? Are they as good as the old commercial ones? Reviews are mixed on their site.

jhm2023

WKR
Are the new Cabelas "Carnivore" grinders not made by Weston? Are they as good as the old commercial ones? Reviews are mixed on their site.
I'm not sure who makes the newer version but I feel like they are just as good and have some additional features that I like. I have no complaints with mine so far aside from it being slightly louder than the older model. I've only put two black bears through it so far.

Superdoo

WKR
A buddy of mine got the double grind from LEM and said it was well worth it and he no longer needs to do two grinds. I've been thinking hard about it...

Meat Your Maker was just having a 25% off sale. It may still be going. When I bought mine last spring, I used "HUNT10" for an additional 10% off. I think I paid around $500 for the 1.5 hp. I've only done a musk ox and two moose so far. It has worked very well. It doesn't get near as hot as the previous 1.5 hp grinders I've used. The actual grinding tube and plates are much larger than most 1 hp grinders as well, which I like. When I did the second grind on my moose burger, I hardly ever had to use the plunger. Just slowly fed it fist-sized chunks and it kept things moving on its own and never got too hot. I would do about 100 lbs and let it rest. I have one more moose to hopefully do in December and I plan to do a review on it shortly after.

edited: I have the 1.5 and not the 1hp

Last edited:
OP
G
Meat Your Maker was just having a 25% off sale. It may still be going. When I bought mine last spring, I used "HUNT10" for an additional 10% off. I think I paid around $500 for the 1 hp. I've only done a musk ox and two moose so far. It has worked very well. It doesn't get near as hot as the previous 1 hp grinders I've used. The actual grinding tube and plates are much larger than most 1 hp grinders as well, which I like. When I did the second grind on my moose burger, I hardly ever had to use the plunger. Just slowly fed it fist-sized chunks and it kept things moving on its own and never got too hot. I would do about 100 lbs and let it rest. I have one more moose to hopefully do in December and I plan to do a review on it shortly after.

I just stumbled on these grinders and they look great. Problem is, they are out of stock of the 1HP grinders. I called and they won't be in stock until early next year.

I hate to get a smaller one when the larger is not much more money (if it were in stock) especially since this is a big purchase for me.

How significant difference do you think there is between a 3/4HP #12 grinder and a 1HP #22 grinder? - anyone please feel free to comment on this one I would appreciate it!

Just about everyone shouldn't need more than a 1hp #22 size grinder. I have a #32 because it was all that MEAT! had at that time, but I'm confident that i'd be just as happy with the 1hp.

haven't used the Cabela's carnivore series but its basically identical in footprint and build. I'd wager that they're just as quiet.

The compact models are noisey AF

Mosquito

FNG
I bought the meat your maker 1.5 hp last year . I got the 25 percent off which they do several times a year . I have done several farm pigs and quite a few deer . I've been very impressed. It takes longer to clean it than it does to grind 25 lbs of meat.

sram9102

WKR
For you guys with experience with the different sizes of these what would you recommend for a guy who probably does 5/6 deer a year and would probably do a few pigs if I had a bigger grinder? Would the .75 HP be satisfactory? I currently use the kitchen aid mixer attachment or borrow a buddies cabelas .5 hp grinder. Neither situations are ideal.

Michael54

WKR
You arent going to notice a significant upgrade difference unless you go to a 1.5hp tbh. We have a 3/4 hp and loved it. I bought the 1.5hp and it eats the 3/4 hp for breakfast.

I just stumbled on these grinders and they look great. Problem is, they are out of stock of the 1HP grinders. I called and they won't be in stock until early next year.

I hate to get a smaller one when the larger is not much more money (if it were in stock) especially since this is a big purchase for me.

How significant difference do you think there is between a 3/4HP #12 grinder and a 1HP #22 grinder? - anyone please feel free to comment on this one I would appreciate it!
I corrected my post, I have the 1.5 hp. I see your issue, it's a big step up in price from .75 to 1.5 and hardly any more for the 1 over .75hp. Every grinder I've ever used is either a commercial Hobart one that I grew up with or a different 1.5 that we used to rent each year before buying this one. So don't really have any useful input on anything smaller. We used to rent a thunderbird 1.5 hp every year before buying the Meat! and the meat brand dominates it for about 1/3 the price when purchased on sale.

Not sure what the market is like where you're at, but we figured we would buy it for the great price we did and if we didn't like it we could sell it pretty easily and not be out much money, if any.

OP
G
It just seems like the difference between the #12 and #22 throat and plate size would be noticeable, along with more HP. Also the 1HP has reverse and the 3/4HP does not.

Michael54

WKR
It just seems like the difference between the #12 and #22 throat and plate size would be noticeable, along with more HP. Also the 1HP has reverse and the 3/4HP does not.
There isnt much difference between the 12 and 22. You will be able to feed a little bit faster but not a significant amount. Going from the 12 to 32 was a different ball game for us. The 32 will eat it as fast as we can feed it.

Mosquito

FNG
There isnt much difference between the 12 and 22. You will be able to feed a little bit faster but not a significant amount. Going from the 12 to 32 was a different ball game for us. The 32 will eat it as fast as we can feed it.
I agree 100%

Firestone

WKR
Man I wouldn't think you would need more. I have used a 3/4 cabelas carnivore for a few years and I can't imagine needing more. I have never timed it but imagine in 30 minutes I can do 100 lbs. And I go straight to the small plate. I think it's 4.5mm