Meat care in the field

Bowtech55

FNG
Going to be moose hunting alaska this year on a DIY hunt. Was wondering how long guys stay in the field after you harvest a moose? I plan to build a meat pole/steam to keep the meat in game bags hanging to cool off and covered with a tarp. But I am curious how long it’s appropriate to leave them hanging in the field before calling the pilot? I understand it depends on a lot of situations such a weather and temperature. It will be beginning to middle of September. Looking for what others have done in the past and recommendations

OP
B

Bowtech55

FNG
I plan to notify the pilot so he can pickup when available or if he is nearby. I’m more curious how long the meat can stay in the field before pickup? I’m hunting with a buddy and meat pickup is an additional cost unless it works out that our trip ends close to tagging out and we can fly out in less trips

AKDoc

WKR
Good question and a helpful response already above ^^^...first and foremost, find out what your transporter wants you to do when one is bagged and ready for pick-up.

Now, in answer to your specific question about past experience from others regarding hang times in the field...

I am typically in the field a bit later than your scheduled time...usually around 13th thru the 23rd, or a few days later. Also, regarding Alaska wx, not all years are equal, so keep that in mind because some years can be really different. That said, if you responsibly harvested...that is, field butchered, bagged, and transported to the tented meat-pole in a timely manner without the meat getting wet in the rain, and if you had it hanging on the tented meat pole with good air-flow and out of the sun and rain...then I've had it hanging for a week and the meat was excellent without any problems whatsoever.

The best to you for a safe and great adventure!

cnelk

WKR
IMG_3468.jpeg

Call the pilot right away. You never know his schedule or what the weather will do.

It’s going to take several hours, maybe days just to get the meat out. Same goes for the hunters