Measuring Draw Weight w/ Draw Board

f16woody

FNG
I’ve been trying to use my LCA draw board and LCA scale to measure my draw weight when checking draw length and timing. Keep coming up 5-7 pounds lighter than when I draw by hand. Any advice?

Beendare

WKR
I will make a guess....

It might be because you are getting a slow steady pull with the draw board...vs a sharper pull by hand.

What does it matter?

IMO, a draw board is all about getting cam timing dialed...once you have that, you are golden.

I haven't had the best experiences with the LCA electronic scale, or really any electronic scale. It varies a good bit based on how fast or slow you pull it back, and sometimes isn't even accurate with a hanging weight, they are upto what, scale #4?

I mostly use spring scales. I have a compact spring scale that I can use on my drawboard that I can check peak and holding with. It's more critical for me to know the holding accurately than the peak, and a hanging spring scale can be sketchy coming off of full draw.

OP
f16woody

f16woody

FNG
Agree that it really doesn't matter...other that liking to tinker and wondering why it would be different. Would rather save my old man shoulders for drawing for an actual shot as well...😂!
Might try to rotate the setup 90 degrees and pull vertically vs. horizontally and see how it works.

OP
f16woody

f16woody

FNG
I haven't had the best experiences with the LCA electronic scale, or really any electronic scale. It varies a good bit based on how fast or slow you pull it back, and sometimes isn't even accurate with a hanging weight, they are upto what, scale #4?

I mostly use spring scales. I have a compact spring scale that I can use on my drawboard that I can check peak and holding with. It's more critical for me to know the holding accurately than the peak, and a hanging spring scale can be sketchy coming off of full draw.
Thanks Billy Goat! Yeah, definitely seeing some inaccuracies with the hanging 2.0 and hand (HS4) versions. I use the draw weight and chrono speed as a starting point to build new arrow setups using the Archers Advantage shaft selector tool...so I'm guessing the more accurate I am the better the results will be.

Thanks Billy Goat! Yeah, definitely seeing some inaccuracies with the hanging 2.0 and hand (HS4) versions. I use the draw weight and chrono speed as a starting point to build new arrow setups using the Archers Advantage shaft selector tool...so I'm guessing the more accurate I am the better the results will be.

I find with hunting shafts you really want to at least be into the yellow on the stiff side with AA, just FYI.

I wouldn't be too worried about being that accurate with it, just make sure you stay on the stiff side of it.

OP
f16woody

f16woody

FNG
I find with hunting shafts you really want to at least be into the yellow on the stiff side with AA, just FYI.

I wouldn't be too worried about being that accurate with it, just make sure you stay on the stiff side of it.
Great archery...and life...advice!! :p