MDWi Jacket/Hoody vs Ambient Jacket/Hoody

Got the Ambient 100 hoody in today. To me it feels and looks a bit loftier than the MDWi. With how well the MDWi performed out west I’m actually thinking it may be a bit warm for me but the difference is likely negligible. My large in mud is 13.9 oz, 1.6 oz heavier than the MDWi hoody. I am going to keep this one and use it this winter to test against the MDWi. I’ll probably sell my backup MDWi though now that I have this.

Here is a pic of the coyote MDWi (top) vs mud Ambient 100 (bottom) to visually compare the insulation:

View attachment 624053
@ChrisAU is this the 100 Hooded Jacket you bought that you’re saying is pretty much on par with the two MDWi’s you have?

If so, I’m glad to hear you think it’s loftier. I ordered one from Sitka. The fact they added pockets compared to the Ambient Hoody was a win imo.

Attachments

• IMG_9362.png
    IMG_9362.png
    239.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
@ChrisAU is this the 100 Hooded Jacket you bought that you’re saying is pretty much on par with the two MDWi’s you have?

If so, I’m glad to hear you think it’s loftier. I ordered one from Sitka. The fact they added pockets compared to the Ambient Hoody was a win imo.

Yes, but I can say I never wanted the MDWi to be warmer on this last hunt, and the MDWi is lighter as well so I think for now the MDWi is still my preferred piece. Will use the 100 some over the next few months here though.

Definitely pilling.

Haven’t seen much with the Sitka piece-a little, but not a concern (yet anyways).

Sitka just came out with a new Ambient; half the insulation (60 gram) - couldn’t resist and have one on the way :D
How's the warmth with high activity? I'm looking for the right layer for skiing and winter running and my ambient hoodie appears to be too warm. The mdwi is close, but a touch too warm. I was out in 18 degree weather with a 25 to 35mph wind and somehow the ambient hoodie was too warm under a jetstream vest after just a couple miles running. Luckily I only had planned on 5 with the dogs so I was hope before I really sweated it all out too much. No vest next time even if it's that windy I guess

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The UL Is definitely closer to what you’re looking for. I’d also consider something along the lines of a “naked” Alpha Direct piece- 60 and even 40 weight for very high aerobic activities.

You’d want to pair either with a highly breathable wind layer- something like the Patagonia Houdini Air.

Running/x-country skiing/etc are generally going to overwhelm most pieces designed for hunting.

The UL Is definitely closer to what you’re looking for. I’d also consider something along the lines of a “naked” Alpha Direct piece- 60 and even 40 weight for very high aerobic activities.

You’d want to pair either with a highly breathable wind layer- something like the Patagonia Houdini Air.

Running/x-country skiing/etc are generally going to overwhelm most pieces designed for hunting.
I'm starting to realize that.... apparently I have to buy a dork hoodie and look like all the cool kids lol

I keep looking for a good breathable wind layer but man they're expensive. I wonder if I could just swing a mountain evo as my "shell" over just a base layer for skiing and winter running.

I ran this morning at 10 degrees and windy and my MDWI did much better than my ambient did yesterday. No vest seems to help me not sweat as much and I absolutely love the hood and high chin zip on the mdwi. I used to think the design was dumb but it works perfectly for high output activity where you zip up and don't have the hood up.

I found a backcountry.com primaloft evolve hoodie on a pretty good sale that I might try, but it doesn't have the weight of the insulation so I'm hoping it's lighter like the mdwi

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I'm looking for the right layer for skiing and winter running and my ambient hoodie appears to be too warm. The mdwi is close, but a touch too warm.
Mine is too warm for that type of activity too. I’m looking at a naked Alpha like the Rab Alpha Flash. I want a full zip and that’s hard to find. Tons of hoodies around though. I’ve considered one of the ultra light backpackers hoodies and have a zipper added.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Evo would be overwhelmed personally. While it has a breathable back panel and breathable panels under the arms; Windstopper fabric just doesn’t breathe well. Blocks wind great (precip pretty good too), but not so much on the breathability end.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is too warm for that type of activity too. I’m looking at a naked Alpha like the Rab Alpha Flash. I want a full zip and that’s hard to find. Tons of hoodies around though. I’ve considered one of the ultra light backpackers hoodies and have a zipper added.

I have the Flash- find it works well on Winter backpacking trips.

If they made it in 60 gram and added a hood, it would probably make the ultimate high aerobic jacket.

Definitely still need a good wind layer with any of the “naked” stuff.

P Carter

WKR
That is exactly my want but doesn’t seem to exist.
Try this, 75 gsm Primaloft evolve for $60:
https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/38832937/men's-super-sevens-fleece-hoodie?sp=1&color=Storm

I don’t need a wind layer if I’m running even into the teens; ran 6 miles at 20 degrees this morning with just a summer-weight running tshirt underneath.

For hunting or hiking, I have a wind layer, mountain hardwear preshell; you can find various wind layers for $70ish. Here’s one in that price range:

slowelk

WKR
@mtwarden @ChrisAU how does the MDWi fit compared to the ambient hoody? I like the fit of the ambient hoody in LT - roomy but not baggy. I'm usually between a Large and an XL in most stuff, so I'm on the fence with the MDWi - I really don't want to feel constricted in a Large.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fit is very similar, if anything the MDWi might be ever slightly more relaxed (or might be just that it's full zip and feels that way ???)

slowelk

WKR
Fit is very similar, if anything the MDWi might be ever slightly more relaxed (or might be just that it's full zip and feels that way ???)

So since LT isn’t an option should I go with Large or XL?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So since LT isn’t an option should I go with Large or XL?

If you’re often in between L and XL and you’re on the tall side, probably XL.

The safest bet is to order one of each and send one back.

Snapped pictures of this a while ago for a review article I’m writing. Image on the left is piling where the underside of my arm rubs the shoulder harness of the pack. The right is after I took a fabric shaver to it.

This was after a day of use.

Following up on the issue I had above with piling for anyone who may find the post using the search feature in the future (and to do what I feel like is my due diligence to Sitka for a follow up after posting the abrasion from a single day earlier).

Sitka said that is definitely NOT common and was very gracious in sending me a replacement. I had a late season archery hunt with the replacement and had zero issues with that type of piling after several days of use vs the pictures above being after one day. In fact, it’s been quite stout against the sage brush country you’d expect for a late season hunt.

Don't know if anyone seen this or not but Rogers has the Ambient Hoody for 167.40.