MDWi Jacket/Hoody vs Ambient Jacket/Hoody

ChrisAU

WKR
So I resisted the Ambient until a few weeks ago but when I got it I absolutely loved it. I think it is a highly advanced option for a mid layer for western hunting. However, I do like full zips and hand pockets. Last week I posted a thread talking about that, and it was suggested I look into the Arrowhead MDWi pieces. I had seen them before but didn’t draw the line between them and the Ambient as far as similarities.

The truth is, they are starkly similar. I got both a jacket and hoody in Saturday, and they are going to be go to pieces for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately they are discontinued, and they are expensive (unless you are the lucky Small or 2X guy). I’m going to grab another hoody before the supply dries up.

This won’t be a review, @mtwarden has covered those, this is just a spec comparison and a visual of the insulation differences. The high here this week every day is 100* or over and the humidity is high enough to swim in, so I won’t be commenting on warmth differences.

But here is a look at the different weight of all the jackets, all size Large:

MDWi Jacket: 11.4 oz
Ambient Hoody: 12.1oz
MDWi Hoody: 12.3 oz
Ambient Jacket: 15.6 oz

While both MDWi pieces have 90 g/sm of insulation, the Ambient Hoody has 100 g/sm and the Ambient Jacket has 150 g/sm.

It’s also notable that the MDWi’s have a 30D face fabric vs 20D for the Ambient pieces.

It’s pretty amazing in my opinion that the hoodies are essentially the same weight while the MDWi gives up 10% of its insulation to the Ambient, it also gives you zippered hand pockets, a full zip, and a stronger face fabric.

Here are the 3 insulations visually; the bottom one is the MDWi (both the hoody and jacket are the same), the middle (Subalpine) is the Ambient Hoody, and the top (Mud) is the Ambient Jacket.

4391FA19-4EB7-4278-8E9C-9AAB6ED0EDC9.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I couldn’t tell the difference between the insulations between the two garments even on close inspection; two different manufacturers, but very similar insulation.

They both worked well for me.

BBob

WKR
I have the MWDi hoody. Once I get into this weight of insulation I too prefer a full zip. Not a fan of the partial zip anorak style in mid ish weight or heavier stuff. It works for me with lighter like a Kuiu 97 but not my preference at this weight or heavier. Nice comparison and good to know though! Mby I need to grab a backup???

wnelson14

WKR
So I resisted the Ambient until a few weeks ago but when I got it I absolutely loved it. I think it is a highly advanced option for a mid layer for western hunting. However, I do like full zips and hand pockets. Last week I posted a thread talking about that, and it was suggested I look into the Arrowhead MDWi pieces. I had seen them before but didn’t draw the line between them and the Ambient as far as similarities.

The truth is, they are starkly similar. I got both a jacket and hoody in Saturday, and they are going to be go to pieces for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately they are discontinued, and they are expensive (unless you are the lucky Small or 2X guy). I’m going to grab another hoody before the supply dries up.

This won’t be a review, @mtwarden has covered those, this is just a spec comparison and a visual of the insulation differences. The high here this week every day is 100* or over and the humidity is high enough to swim in, so I won’t be commenting on warmth differences.

While both MDWi pieces have 90 g/sm of insulation, the Ambient Hoody has 100 g/sm and the Ambient Jacket has 150 g/sm.

It’s also notable that the MDWi’s have a 30D face fabric vs 20D for the Ambient pieces.

It’s pretty amazing in my opinion that the hoodies are essentially the same weight while the MDWi gives up 10% of its insulation to the Ambient, it also gives you zippered hand pockets, a full zip, and a stronger face fabric.

Here are the 3 insulations visually; the bottom one is the MDWi (both the hoody and jacket are the same), the middle (Subalpine) is the Ambient Hoody, and the top (Mud) is the Ambient Jacket.

View attachment 591418
They are not discontinued

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
They are not discontinued
Yes they are - that company is selling off the leftover inventory. That is where I bought mine and will buy some more today:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yes they are - that company is selling off the leftover inventory. That is where I bought mine and will buy some more today:

What's your thoughts on the jacket vs hoody? I'm curious about the extra insulation for later season - is it noticeably warmer?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
What's your thoughts on the jacket vs hoody? I'm curious about the extra insulation for later season - is it noticeably warmer?

On the Ambient pieces or the MDWi pieces? The Ambient jacket will be warmer than the Ambient hoody thanks to it having more insulation, but the MDWi hoody and jacket will be equivalent to each other as far as core warmth as they both have the same 90 g/sm insulation.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
On the Ambient pieces or the MDWi pieces? The Ambient jacket will be warmer than the Ambient hoody thanks to it having more insulation, but the MDWi hoody and jacket will be equivalent to each other as far as core warmth as they both have the same 90 g/sm insulation.
I just meant ambient jacket vs hoody. Just curious if the extra insulation/warmth is noticeable.

The extra insulation on the ambient jacket vs hoody is about 7-10 degrees of difference.

I am comfortable in a base with hoody down to about 55 and light wind (i feel the face fabric is pretty wind resistant up to 10-12mph) and very light activity, vigorous activity and you can easily subtract 10-15 degrees here maybe more depending on activity. Static the hoody does well down to about 60.

So figure about 7-10 degrees from those numbers for the jacket.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
The MDWi is perhaps my favorite jacket. We got them at work and it quickly became my go-to and was always in my pack. Liked it enough to go out and buy it in non-camo colors as well. I wish they’d add something similar to the hunting line, basically take the MDWi and make it with Evolve instead of Alpha Direct, apparently Evolve is a better insulation.

WoodBow

WKR
My ambient arrives soon. My only concern for western use it they seem pretty fragile. Are yall experiencing wear when having them directly under a pack?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

My ambient arrives soon. My only concern for western use it they seem pretty fragile. Are yall experiencing wear when having them directly under a pack?

I think they seem more fragile than they are. I can't seem to ruin mine even though I totally expect to. I think they will pile under the shoulder straps during a heavy pack out, but I'm not sure you'd wear it during a heavy pack out. I can't seem to find too many people complaining about the durability with use. I still use my heavy hoody a ton because I'm afraid to ruin the ambient and mdwi, but I think my fears might be unfounded. It is nylon face, and thst apparently means more than I realized.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The will certainly pill a bit on the face - I have a seam on the chest that’s separated a bit, so a small piece of tenacious tape there. I haven’t been gentle with it.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
I have an ambient hoody and the MDWi hoody with full zip. The full zip and pockets make it a winner, but IMO the ambient "feels" substantially warmer (yes I know they are very similar). It just seems to carry a bit more loft but that's all subjective I guess. Originally I thought I would sell 1 but am likely going to just keep them both as I don't struggle to find ways to use them. Man I wish the ambient had a hand pocket or pouch or something.

WoodBow

WKR
I bought one used for $160. Eaiser pill to swallow than $299 for jacket. It feels super comfy and warm. Excited for temps to cool off.

P Carter

WKR
Figure I'd post this here; no experience but it looks interesting.

View attachment 591418
How has the durability been with these pieces? I’m not worried so much about brush, but piling under a pack or Bino harness. I had really bad luck with the l Kuiu Kenai in this regard. Thanks

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
How has the durability been with these pieces? I’m not worried so much about brush, but piling under a pack or Bino harness. I had really bad luck with the l Kuiu Kenai in this regard. Thanks

I’ll be able to answer that in a few weeks, headed to CO for a 7 day/6 night 1st rifle elk hunt and it will be my mid layer for that trip.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a lot of time under a pack and bino harness with the Ambient and there is a slight amount of piling in those contact areas, but nothing that concerns me considering how much I have used it.