Max load for 300 win mag?

1. I use federal brass. I used to shoot federal premium with 180 TSX so I had a hoard of it, like 400 pieces.

I tried frontier brass b/c I used to shoot Hornady heavy mag, but it seemed to get pressure signs way quicker that the federal.

Frontier brass probably has a smaller case capacity than the federal.

2. I don’t recall where I got the load data specifically for 175 LRX but think I just used the data for a 180 TSX. I did work up from 77.5 grains; shooting 4 round groups in .5 grain increments of powder. Also, I saw a table for 180 accubonds with 81 grains being a max load.

6F8BA8CD-0D9E-4091-9D5D-17C466FC1B63.jpeg

Take this for what it's worth...
Barnes recommend to me, that I use the starting load data for a JSP and work up from there if they didn't have the specific combo published, so if you're trying to find a starting point for H1000 and 175gr LRX, that is where I would start. Try and find as many sources as you can for the powder for equivilanent or similar bullet weights.

With regard to the older book data, I would go with the most current data you can find.

The 2017 300 Win Mag Barnes data for the 175 LRX / 300WM was using hotter loads than the May 2020 load data. For example, RL 22 was 68.9 - 76.5, and changed to 62.0 - 72.7. Every powder listed in the 2017 they reduced the starting and max loads, except for PPro 4000MR which they only reduced the max load.
They also increased the COAL from 3.34 to 3.36.

I ran those through QL (so this is theoretical, not real world) and 72.7 of RL22 is pretty close to the mark where a 10% variance would put it into the "!DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!" warning with 65,003 PSI.

76.5 of RL shows as "!DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!" at 63,557 PSI, and with 10% variance, its at 77,206 PSI.

So that makes a lot of sense to me why they would reduce the charges from just looking at that on paper. Hodgdon's manual, which shows the pressures, has some of their max loads pushing up to 63,900 PSI. If you look at that 76.5 load above, you will note that the 10% variance resulted in a 21.4% increase in pressure.

Thanks for sharing - good to know that is what Barnes recommends. Pulling from Hodgdon's Reloading Center they recommend a starting load of 77gr of H1000 using a 175 GR. Sie HPBT with a COL of 3.300".

With the 175 LRX and starting .05" off the lands, and the difference in projectile length, I figure it should be similar in turns of case volume.

I'll start there and work up - to each there own but I'm not a fan of super compressed/hot loads. Won't make it to the range for a while but when I do I'll post the results.

QL - is that a script for predicting pressures?

Christian

QL is QuickLoad, a software program that takes into account powder burn rate, specific bullet, cartridge overall length (correlates to useable case capacity with a specific bullet), fired case capacity (measured with h2o). The database is very comprehensive.

I was running 76.1gr H1000, Hornady case, 212 ELD-X, and Federal 215M primers in my Browning X-bolt Max Long Range with a can and getting right at 3000fps. The Hornady brass was too soft for my liking and started to get case failures after a few loadings. I am switching to ADG which has a lower case volume. Come spring, I am going to do load development 72.5gr-75.5gr. in half grain increments. Ideally, I would have the muzzle velocity right at 2900fps but will stick with most accurate.

@35WhelenAI is correct. Gordon's Reloading Tool is another option, free I believe.
I want to look into that one, will be working with the 200 gr Power Hammer in the 35 Whelen AI, no real data exists. I have a good baseline with many years loading for the rifle, however would not turn down any info I can find if that program (or QL for that matter) has Hammer bullets in the data base.

Any experience from the collective with respect to how the two compare in terms of similar results given the same information inputs for both? QL has been good and compares pretty well to real-world results for the times I have had pressure info run with my specifics.

I want to look into that one, will be working with the 200 gr Power Hammer in the 35 Whelen AI, no real data exists. I have a good baseline with many years loading for the rifle, however would not turn down any info I can find if that program (or QL for that matter) has Hammer bullets in the data base.
QL has Hammer data now, they have the 200gr Shock Hammer, which should get you pretty close.

300 WM w H1000

Bullet: 200 NAB
Charge: 75.5gr
Brass: Prvi P (Remington Capacity)
PMR: WLRM
COL: 3.500
MV: 2920fps @70F. 2880fps @25F.
ELE: 1000ft absl

Bullet: 208gr ELD-M
Charge: 76gr

I have h1000. I was reading 74 gr as minimum and 79 gr as maximum. So my thoughts were ladder test of 76, 76.5, 77, 77.5, 78, 78.5 and 79. Then reading through different forums, I read people getting into the 80’s grain.

Any other advice off topic would be appreciated. 200 gr ELD-X. 24 inch barrel. 1:10 twist.
I started getting a little swipe at 78 gr, nosler brass, 200gr eldx. Sako 24" barrel 1:10 twist. The 200 eldx shot like crap and I gave up on them after testing multiple powders, seating depth ect. and going through a good 120 of them. Best powder for my gun with them was 7828ssc though 1moa. Going off my head they were around 2800fps.

I started getting a little swipe at 78 gr, nosler brass, 200gr eldx. Sako 24" barrel 1:10 twist. The 200 eldx shot like crap and I gave up on them after testing multiple powders, seating depth ect. and going through a good 120 of them. Best powder for my gun with them was 7828ssc though 1moa. Going off my head they were around 2800fps.
Thanks for the response. I ended up pleased at 74.7 grains (irrc) of h1000. I believe velocity was low-mid 2900 fps. More power to you going through “120 of them”.

Sounds like your not happy with results and tested many different things. If by chance you didn’t test h1000, I’d reccomend. As I’ve read if your not happy with results, change powder or bullets. I’ve heard seating depth doesn’t change anything really.

BTDT with the 120 + rounds trying to get 200 ELDX to shoot anywhere near reasonable too! Switched to 200 NAB and laser beam!

Back