Maven RS1 or Nightforce SHV F1

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
I am piecing together my first "custom" rifle this year and the last piece of the puzzle is my optic. This is going to be my main hunting rifle for the foreseeable future, and I know you usually get what you pay for when it comes to glass. I am looking at these two options as they are fairly similar and offer the features that I am after: first focal plane, useful magnification range to cover woods/more open terrain, and relatively compact and moderate weight. The prices are pretty comparable as well.

Most of my experience with riflescopes is limited to old Weaver K4s for hunting and I've spent some time behind a fixed 10X Leupold Mark 4 for work. I'm confident either of these two choices will be miles above what I have used in the past.

If anyone has insight between both of these optics and wish to share it I would be grateful for the information. I am not against other suggestions either, as long as they have the same options as the Maven and Nightforce SHV.

Thanks for your time

Rifle Info for consideration: Zermatt/Bighorn Origin SA, Mcmillan Game Warden 2.0, Triggertech Primary, Preferred Barrel Blanks .260 Remington and eventually 300 WSM or 338 Sherman Short (switch barrel set up). I will be practicing shots as far as I can make them, I have experience shooting the M24 to 800 some years ago, but would not take shots on game at that distance.

If you’re planning on dialing the maven rs1 does not have a hard mechanical zero stop. The night force is the way to go if dialing. I would also recommend the bushnell elite lrhs 2

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Make sure you look through the nightforce before buying. I think their reticles absolutely suck and other than the forceplex, I just can’t hunt with their MILr or MOAR reticles.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Nightforce far and away, the Nightforce.
There's a reason that Nightforce has the reputation it does and why folks depend on their scopes.
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

jayhawk

WKR
Nghtforce. They're a well-established brand and the stuff they make is bullet proof. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Maven, but I think Nightforce is the way to go.

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven’t bought all the rifle parts, I’d go cheaper on the rifle and spend more on a better optic.
Everything has already been ordered, optic is last part. Not really much I could do to go cheaper in the rest of the rifle in order to get what I wanted

I dont have experience with Maven but I do have experience with the Nightforce SHV. It's a good scope with great reliability. Glass quality (a WAY overblown feature in my opinion) is fine in low light situations. In my personal opinion, the MIL-R reticle is the best hunting reticle NF offers (still not as good as the SWFA MilQuad reticle though). Call Doug at Cameraland if you go NF...he will take great care of you.

Nightforce are great scopes and I have them on my rifles. But when it comes down to the SHV F1 vs. the Maven RS.1, I would go with the Maven (yes I have one one). I just can't get excited about the F1 (reticle and other features).

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Everything has already been ordered, optic is last part. Not really much I could do to go cheaper in the rest of the rifle in order to get what I wanted
What did you end up getting? I am looking at the RS1 and did a search and found this thread. Looking at the MOA-2 reticle

Screenshot_20221129-165134_Samsung Internet.jpg

SDHNTR

WKR
One is a known commodity that is reliable and dependable, well proven. The other is a question mark at best. I know I’m not risking it with my hard-earned money and valuable hunting time! Call Doug and buy that Nightforce.

Last edited: