Maven RS1 Drop test Proof Maven may be telling the truth ...........

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Maven RS1 2.5 x 15x44 Drop test Proof Maven may be telling the truth ...........
My review of the original Maven RS1 2.5x15x44. This scope was purchased by me 3 years ago and was intended to be my final be all scope since I could not find a S&B Klassik in stock. I am shooting on my land off a bench to a target 107 yards away.

I previously did a drop test with this scope and rifle combo early this spring. The results were promising; however, I noticed a shift in the direction of the group. The group size stayed roughly the same, but the group shifted up and to the left. I casually played country dumb with a question to “Form” after that and he indicated the shift was likely due to a mounting issue. As everything was degreased with acetone, blue loctited and with a paint penned in place I did not see how it was possible. There was no breakage of the paint. (Action screws were not painted- they could have been the issue) Regardless, I decided to epoxy the rail to the action with Loctite 380. I believe this kept the group from shifting on this test.

The rifle is a bone stock Bergara Ridge SP 6.5 Creed, Warne rail and rings. Triggered adjusted to avg 2.2 lbs based on my scale. TBAC 7 for the suppressor. Suppressor stayed on for the first portion then was removed and reattached for the final portion. I am shooting off bags on a homemade bench. Weather is unbearably hot and humid with sweat pouring off my head without a bandana or cap. No noticeable wind as the grass or individual leaves were not moving until the very final portion of this test. Then the wind picked up to 5-10 as it would move finger size branches. Given the distance I really didn’t feel that wind played into the situation.

IMG_8704.jpgIMG_8705.jpg
The media is costal and prairie grass on a ½” gym mat that is at least 12 years old and been in my garage in front of the bench. Drops were conducted from knee and waist high. I am 6’0.

IMG_8709.jpgIMG_8716.jpgIMG_8718.jpg
Starting group with this rifle was 1.33” which is better than average as it normally runs 1.5-1.7 with this ammo. Winchester 125 OT Range. I started shooting well, but quickly faded as diabetes plays havoc on my eyes and I suffer fatigue quickly.
IMG_8719.jpg
First three 18” drops shots (#1,2,3) showed no change in the system. The first 36” drop (left side #4) showed movement down and to the left, however I know I pulled it. Then the 36” (top #5) drop was fine, then the 36” drop (right side# 6) was fine. I then moved to the 3 36” drops (left side #7) were in range. Then 3 36” (top #8) showed a full 1” movement to the right. I still felt that shot was my error and not the scope, I rushed it and even called it when I pulled the trigger. I then shot a second round without the drop and the #9 shot fell into the group. Three more 36” drops on (right side #10) was fine and finally 3 consecutive 36” drops (one per side) for #11. Total 15 drops and 11 shots.
IMG_8721.jpg

I am confident the majority of the group size increasing is due to my poor shooting. I have days I am on and sometimes I just get in a hurry or focus too much on shooting an all-touching group and screw it up. If you believe I pulled the #4 & 8 shot then the group stayed within the cone. If you believe I can shoot and the scope moved then the group size increased dramatically to 3.78”.
IMG_8720.jpg
I assume I will be skewered for the poor shooting, but have no issues calling my errors, especially when I know and FELT I made the error. To quote the great philosopher Forest Gump…… “Sometimes it happens.”

That being said I decided to go hog wild and proceeded to randomly drop the rifle 9 times consecutively from 36” and then shot 10 shots as fast I could reasonably load and shoot. This is the FINAL portion of the test. The group opened up by 3/4 “, however, this is to prove even with poor shooting the scope in my opinion is worth consideration. The impact was hard enough to leave an indentation permanently in the mat.
IMG_8722.jpg
IMG_8717.jpg

I would recommend the RS 1 as a set and forget scope.

I have since switched to MILS and have the RS 1.2. on my primary rifle. I am learning to dial as I spent 30 years as a set and forget MPBR shooter so more to come.

I want to thank "Form" for confirming issues I have seen with rifle systems over the years and saving me ammo and the time chasing my tail trying to figure out what is the problem. Next, I want to cuss him for me moving to MILS, throwing my scopes on the ground and spending more $ than I can afford.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Next, I want to cuss him for me moving to MILS, throwing my scopes on the ground and spending more $ than I can afford.

You’re welcome. grin

Good to see someone drop one. If you wanted to, you could send it to Ryan and I will put it through the drop eval and send it back- probably only gone for a week or so.

OP
R

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
PM'd Ryan. I would like to put this in the mail in the next few days.

I am amazed no one commented on this thread considering all the consternation from the previous conversations. Granted this model may not be useful to the dialing crowd, but set, forget and use holdover it should perform. Regardless, it is still a sample of 1.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Cool that you did this and provided so much context/detail. I think the lack of comments may be because you kind of covered it all!

Also, Maven would do themselves well to offer the SHR Mil reticle and 0.1 mil adjustments in this model. (As long as it doesn’t take away from RS1.2 production ha)

I came so close to buying one of these RS1’s 5 years ago when I was dabbling in back MOA land, but ended up getting a Trijicon 2.5-12.5 Accupoint instead for what was then my go to rifle as I was very interested in having a super visible reticle at 2.5x and in thick shadowy brushy black bear environments at the time.

sndmn11

WKR
I am amazed no one commented on this thread considering all the consternation from the previous conversations.

I think it's a lot more comfortable for people to type theories than test them. When those theories skew towards taking an accusatory position, I think some folks let that subjectivity get in the way of moving towards knowledge.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take aways:
-The part that the R1 and 1.2 are the same internally could be true and seems more plausible.
-The reality is whether intentional or accidental this series is more reliable than other series that have been tested so far (which isn't all the other series).
-The part that they claim they design all scopes the same could be true, but since they aren't the same design and zoom rations/tube sizes/etc. are different they aren't all the same in the end. Which if so would mean then may not understand the secret sauce ingredient combination to make future offerings similarly reliable. That would be sad if so.

8wml63.jpg

OP
R

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
I have an itch to test the Maven R2 2x10x38 and compare it to the Tri Credo 3x9x40. Both 1” tubes , SFP with same target market. $500ish set and forget. I have the Credo and will test it when time allows. If funds allow I’ll pick up the RS2 and see how it performs.

fwafwow

WKR
PM'd Ryan. I would like to put this in the mail in the next few days.

I am amazed no one commented on this thread considering all the consternation from the previous conversations. Granted this model may not be useful to the dialing crowd, but set, forget and use holdover it should perform. Regardless, it is still a sample of 1.
Thank you for doing this. I look forward to seeing the results.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I have an itch to test the Maven R2 2x10x38 and compare it to the Tri Credo 3x9x40. Both 1” tubes , SFP with same target market. $500ish set and forget. I have the Credo and will test it when time allows. If funds allow I’ll pick up the RS2 and see how it performs.
I would love to see this, the thick rough stuff I hunt doesn’t lend itself to dialing, but it does lend itself to falling down, dropping my scope etc, so it would be great to see a few more non dialing scopes tested.

OP
R

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
I checked appears I have the Huron model and not the Credo.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Drop Eval results of RS1-

1722107018824.jpeg

See-