Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil Q&A

Q&A for-

Thanks for the review and updated field reports. They can't keep up with demand because of this eval!

elkmeat

FNG
@Formidilosus, I have read many of your field evals with great interest and just want to tell you that I truly appreciate the quantifiable data you provide us all with. Reports driven by data — generated by realistic use — is valuable far and beyond what opinions provide. I am grateful that I have been able to connect with the work that you do for our brotherhood.

Having said that, to totally contradict myself — possibly at the risk of coming off as fool in my first post — I would like to ask for your advice, opinion rather (foot in mouth), on the RS1.2 or ATACR 4-16 for a mid range wsm I’ve been looking forward to putting into use.

I was decidedly going to put it into service with the atacr based on criteria I feel most important, and then the rs1.2 was created and, by specifications they seem to go fairly head to head on paper (please do correct me if I’m wrong).

Criteria in order as a hunting aiming device was: reliability/repeatability/trust, efficient target acquisition (eye box, parallax), operational efficiency (controls), reticle (personal pref.), clarity/color… weight/price while not meaningless, tend to be in the backseat more less. I feel like I’m splitting hairs between the two, trade off in specs seems minimal either way. Track record in reliability seems to bode for the atacr 4-16 simply by time of service history, but introductory reliability for the rs1.2 seemingly is quite strong.

I’m hard on stuff, I must control what I can (equipment selection) to be confident that if I do my part both as a marksman and a rifle technician, my equipment will perform as it should as well. Not to put you on the spot, but if you were loading your gear knowing what you do today, what do you feel like your gut would guide you to grab?

Thanks for all the advice you’ve unbiasedly given out, it’s rare thing anymore and having the spine to do so is admirable.

Last edited:
@elkmeat I'm not Form so I won't speak for him but I have used the baby ATACR and the Maven RS1.2 fairly extensively (and skde by side) . The Maven SHR-Mil reticle is far and away (to me) better than any reticle NF offers. The Maven has better eye relief to my eyes. The ATACR wins with the locking elevation turret, although this has never been an issue for me. Durability of both has been fine as well.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
@elkmeat I'm not Form so I won't speak for him but I have used the baby ATACR and the Maven RS1.2 fairly extensively (and skde by side) . The Maven SHR-Mil reticle is far and away (to me) better than any reticle NF offers. The Maven has better eye relief to my eyes. The ATACR wins with the locking elevation turret, although this has never been an issue for me. Durability of both has been fine as well.
What about glass quality between the two?
Have used the ATACR, have never even seen a Maven

elkmeat

FNG
Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Having said that, to totally contradict myself — possibly at the risk of coming off as fool in my first post — I would like to ask for your advice, opinion rather (foot in mouth), on the RS1.2 or ATACR 4-16 for a mid range wsm I’ve been looking forward to putting into use.

The RS1.2 is the best combination of everything currently in the market for hunting.

if you spent all your fun money on rokstocks and mavens is there another option for scope caps that guys are using that aren't 100$ for a pair?
I have never had any issues with butler creek caps. Some people say they're junk and break in a few weeks but I don't throw my rifles on and under tools and drive rough roads that way so I've never broken one. I think they work pretty well considering they're really inexpensive

ChrisAU

WKR
if you spent all your fun money on rokstocks and mavens is there another option for scope caps that guys are using that aren't 100$ for a pair?

Funny enough I came here to post my cheap option. Burris part number 626043 is $10 on Midway USA. The objective is a perfect fit, the eyepiece required one layer of electrical tape on the inside for a snug fit. They are Butler Creek style but just have Burris’s mountain logo on them. I use them on a few rifles, they do the job, and if they break or I lose them I won’t cry about it.

Burris Caps

IMG_8127.jpeg

IMG_8126.jpeg