Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

sndmn11

WKR
I'd bet 4th of July pack of brats and queso that if one ran over to Hunttalk or 24hcf and did a poll on MOA vs MIL, it would be a landslide for the former. Right or wrong, the people who want to move from capped turret $300-$500 scopes "wanting to dial" look at this price range but still gravitate towards MOA because it is familiar, they believe it relates to inches, and they think MIL is an abbreviation for military.

The mil being out of stock is a disproportionate amount of Roksliders buying.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I'd bet 4th of July pack of brats and queso that if one ran over to Hunttalk or 24hcf and did a poll on MOA vs MIL, it would be a landslide for the former. Right or wrong, the people who want to move from capped turret $300-$500 scopes "wanting to dial" look at this price range but still gravitate towards MOA because it is familiar, they believe it relates to inches, and they think MIL is an abbreviation for military.

No doubt. Except that those MOA shooters are almost always SFP users as well. The amount of dialing scope users that want MOA and FFP is laughably small. On top of that, you make a “new” reticle that is “less busy”, so it has no elevation marks at all, except for two massive bars that are useless.

It would be like if SWFA brought in stock more MOA model scopes with a “new” reticle (but no mil scopes)- “because more people shoot MOA”. It doesn’t matter if more “hunters” prefer MOA if they aren’t buying your product.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU

Even if we're not an accurate representation of the rest of the market it's pretty stupid to double down on the one that's never out of stock...

I have been holding out on purchasing a RF bino because Maven will be releasing one sometime in the relatively near future. However, I'm worried that it could be a total flop for being functional because they're hit/miss on their products. I spoke to someone on the phone and happened to ask about it, asking specifically about cold soaked function, and the guy says something like 'well pretty much no rangefinder works close to 0 degrees'. That doesn't give confidence that I should wait.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have been holding out on purchasing a RF bino because Maven will be releasing one sometime in the relatively near future. However, I'm worried that it could be a total flop for being functional because they're hit/miss on their products. I spoke to someone on the phone and happened to ask about it, asking specifically about cold soaked function, and the guy says something like 'well pretty much no rangefinder works close to 0 degrees'. That doesn't give confidence that I should wait.

The Maven RS1.2 is a very good scope. However, by their own admission it wasn’t on purpose.

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
The Maven RS1.2 is a very good scope. However, by their own admission it wasn’t on purpose.
I thought y'all tested it initially and they asked for improvement advice, so the product we are now getting was intentional in incorporating durability improvements. Did I miss something on that?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I thought y'all tested it initially and they asked for improvement advice, so the product we are now getting was intentional in incorporating durability improvements. Did I miss something on that?

Depends on who you ask- or rather when it was asked. Their answer now is that they did nothing at all to the RS1- “it is exactly the same internally”.

They were supposed to send Ryan an RS1 for the eval, but nothing so far.

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on who you ask- or rather when it was asked. Their answer now is that they did nothing at all to the RS1- “it is exactly the same internally”.

They were supposed to send Ryan an RS1 for the eval, but nothing so far.
I find that interesting. I guess at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if it was a happy accident as long as they keep building RS1.2s that are the same level of durability and QC that we expect now.

The far smarter move would have been to release the RS.1 in a mil version. You can get the turret for elevation and it's lighter weight without illumination. No zero stop, but I don't think that matters that much. I would bet the rs.1 holds zero like the rs1.2.

@HighUintas Do you have information that supports them releasing RF binos soon? Or are you just figuring they will?
Thanks

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
No doubt. Except that those MOA shooters are almost always SFP users as well. The amount of dialing scope users that want MOA and FFP is laughably small. On top of that, you make a “new” reticle that is “less busy”, so it has no elevation marks at all, except for two massive bars that are useless.

It would be like if SWFA brought in stock more MOA model scopes with a “new” reticle (but no mil scopes)- “because more people shoot MOA”. It doesn’t matter if more “hunters” prefer MOA if they aren’t buying your product.

I'm in the "laughably small" camp and have had MIL reticle jealousy. Hold for wind, dial for distance so capped windage, FFP this RS1.2 has been perfect so far.

MIL may be more popular is because many competitive distance shooters are hunters too - the MIL option covers both and a larger audience of buyers. Either works.

Never heard anyone think MIL=military. I keep hearing people make the error of one being metric one imperial - they're measures of angle not linear. Divisible by 10 is easier. But not if everyone you shoot with is still MOA.

and the illumination on this bleeds just like my Zeiss optics when the brightness is too high - is the glass the same as an LRP S3? Same factory?

Last edited:
Soon, a company is going to “get it” that has the ability to do things right and will listen. The reticle, features, build quality, and testing will be deliberate and meaningful. Similar to the Stocky’s and RokStok thing. I’m confident of it

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Soon, a company is going to “get it” that has the ability to do things right and will listen. The reticle, features, build quality, and testing will be deliberate and meaningful. Similar to the Stocky’s and RokStok thing. I’m confident of it
I have been hoping for that for 20 years. Still hasn’t happened. The 1.2 is close, but not there yet.

I have been hoping for that for 20 years. Still hasn’t happened. The 1.2 is close, but not there yet.

I think the RS1.2 is fantastic. Love mine and don’t wish for more with them. The only thing that could make them better (IMO) is if they could listen and admit there were changes to that model, and then work on other scopes that met the same criteria. A 6x, a 5-20, or whatever

Maybe Trijicon will offer some new reticles. Or even better… a NF 4-16x42 with a similar reticle to the Maven.

Last edited:
OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I suppose it is possible that they could have ordered 4x the amount of MOA scopes and are still selling two to three times MOA versus Mill. That would make their new retticle move make sense.