Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I can like the reticle. Curious about how much of is illuminated but that's way down my list. Top of the list is reliable...hopefully.

What did he say?
Update. Maven guy said that they were doing drop testing at their facility of the RS 1.2. Don't know exactly what that means. (If Form is the one doing it or not) but he did say that it was doing well (of course cs would say that about their own product). Also he said some scopes were already out in the wild being used.

But I think more importantly he knew exactly what I was talking about when I said drop testing!! A step in the right direction for maven!!

ElPollo

WKR
Just noticed. Curious.
I’m guessing that a typo in the online figure.

It’s nice to hear that Maven is paying attention to this drop testing issue.

The mil reticle looks useable. I’d like to see the outer crosshairs be a little thicker to make it bolder at low magnification and it doesn’t need that much holdover for windage and elevation. I’m not going to hold over for a 675 yard shot and I would need 30 mph sustained to get anywhere close to 5 Mils of wind hold. I don’t know anyone who is who is comfortable taking a shot with 5 mils of wind hold in broken terrain. All these reticles are so damned optimistic about what shooters might be able to do, but that optimism makes them busier than they need to be.

sndmn11

WKR
I’m guessing that a typo in the online figure.

It’s nice to hear that Maven is paying attention to this drop testing issue.

The mil reticle looks useable. I’d like to see the outer crosshairs be a little thicker to make it bolder at low magnification and it doesn’t need that much holdover for windage and elevation. I’m not going to hold over for a 675 yard shot and I would need 30 mph sustained to get anywhere close to 5 Mils of wind hold.
What if one needs to measure?

the 22/44 is indeed a typo.

ElPollo

WKR
What if one needs to measure?

the 22/44 is indeed a typo.
What are you going to measure? If you need 5 mils to measure an elk chest to range, what kind of holdover would you need? I’m figuring that’s about a 150 yard shot.

And why the 7.5 and 10 mil stadia?

Still none of that is a hill to die on. The reticle looks better than anything Nightforce has. And if it passed the drop tests, hell yeah.

sndmn11

WKR
What are you going to measure? If you need 5 mils to measure an elk chest to range, what kind of holdover would you need? I’m figuring that’s about a 150 yard shot.

And why the 7.5 and 10 mil stadia?

Still none of that is a hill to die on. The reticle looks better than anything Nightforce has. And if it passed the drop tests, hell yeah.
I move scopes around enough that I regularly use the L measuring thingy in Nightforce's mil-r reticle. With a 10y bottom end on parallax, I'd use it on a rimfire most of the time because that provides an efficient means to practice. Especially if it proves to be reliable, buy once and swap it back and forth between hunting and training platforms so there is continuity.

TxLite

WKR
Usable mil reticle, exposed elevation, capped windage, good mag range, zero stop.. this checks a lot of boxes that were being asked for on a lot of the rokslide optics threads, even if it is a few ounces heavier than the credo. I’d be interested to see how it does with zero retention and tracking. Glad to see someone taking note of what we are looking for

ElPollo

WKR
I move scopes around enough that I regularly use the L measuring thingy in Nightforce's mil-r reticle. With a 10y bottom end on parallax, I'd use it on a rimfire most of the time because that provides an efficient means to practice. Especially if it proves to be reliable, buy once and swap it back and forth between hunting and training platforms so there is continuity.
I guess I never think about milling for squirrels because I live on the prairie and people in town get pissed and call the cops when you hunt them. Like I said, not a hill to die on for this reticle. Even with the silly 10 mil stadia, it is still better than the Nightforce offerings or any of those busy-looking Xmas tree reticles.

ElPollo

WKR
Curious how many people have NON illumination on their wish list.

I hunted predators at night for years without it, and frankly see it as unnecessary cost, weight, and space.

Would much prefer just a low pro parallax knob
I’ve never seen a need for illumination on a hunting scope. The one I’ve had stayed off all the time. I think it just adds weight and isn’t needed if you have a good reticle design.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
Fixed it for you!
Lighter would be nice but on my wish list of features it's behind 4 or 5 other things. The 2.5-10 is plenty light if your concerned with weight.
What I really wish is that they would drop the absurd 8x power ratio on the nx8 scopes and build something more optically comfortable with this reticle. Scope companies Make compromises to have those big zoom ranges and they offer very little real world benefit.

Lighter would be nice but on my wish list of features it's behind 4 or 5 other things. The 2.5-10 is plenty light if your concerned with weight.
What I really wish is that they would drop the absurd 8x power ratio on the nx8 scopes and build something more optically comfortable with this reticle. Scope companies Make compromises to have those big zoom ranges and they offer very little real world benefit.

What part of the user experience does such a large mag range compromise? I've not used one so I don't know.

Spoonbill

WKR
What part of the user experience does such a large mag range compromise? I've not used one so I don't know.
Tight eyebox and a reticle that you can’t use the holdovers on lower magnifications. I haven’t spent a ton of time with one but thats what i remember shooting my buddies.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I felt like the eye box was overly critical and the parallax adjustments were fickle. I'm no optics analyst but it was less comfortable to look through than a 4-16 atacr which uses the same exact glass. Since the drop tests started I've bought and used swfa 6x,3-9,3-15,5-20,1-4 Bushnell lrts 3-12,4.5-18, lrhs2 4.5-18 DMR3 3-21, night force nx8 4-32, atacr 4-16 atacr 5-25, trijicon credo 4-16, ten mile 3-18, maven RS 3.2 5-30. I noticed that the scopes that had lower magnification ranges were easier to get a good image and typically more comfortable to look through. The same seems to be true for longer scopes. This probably doesn't matter at a rifle range but when you're in a compromised shooting position trying to spot impacts it matters. Or if you're trying to track a moving animal through trees. That is the appeal of the fixed power Scopes. They just work well.

axeforce6

WKR
I'm glad they fixed the elevation and windage caps for this model. I have been waiting for them to do that.