Maven Rs.1 vs Nightforce SHV vs Leupold

Looking for the best possible scope for under 1000. Preferably FFP but will settle for best overall option. Also looking for strictly American company.

eric1115

WKR
Cliff notes of what you'll find to be the prevailing opinion here (which I also hold)...

Leupold anything (wit a sliver of hope remaining for the new Mk4 HD) is not a good choice from a zero retention and long term durability standpoint. There are some who swear they abuse their Leupold scopes and they always hold zero and track well, but somehow not one has been willing to verify this on video or in person.

NF SHV is about as close to bomb proof as exists (NXS is probably the only thing that beats it). SFP, reticles not great for hunting.

RS1 is an unknown from a durability standpoint, but the RS1.2 is not. RS1.2 is generally regarded here as the best hunting scope there is. FFP, durable, good reticle, good weight.

None of these companies are turning out really made in USA scopes. All of them get scopes made overseas (the vast majority of the reliable high quality scopes are made in Japan). Leupold's Assembled in USA thing is a bit misleading, as (my understanding is) they import entire optical assemblies from overseas and insert them into the tubes they machine in the US.

Spend some time reading https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/.

Start with this thread that explains the evaluations https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/

Then dive into the carnage that happens when "good" scopes get dropped from just over ankle height on a padded mat, while actually good scopes get dropped from waist height and do just fine.

OP
S
Thank you. I’ve been leaning towards maven because I really like their warranty and I’m not disappointed at all with their binoculars compared to my leicas.

Bcleck90

WKR
NF SHV F1 is FFP and has a good reticle (Mil R). Can’t speak for Maven, but reviews on here look positive.

Skip Leupold.

If you buy new and Nightforce reach out to the Rokslide sponsor Camerland.

eric1115

WKR
NF SHV F1 is FFP and has a good reticle (Mil R). Can’t speak for Maven, but reviews on here look positive.

Skip Leupold.

If you buy new and Nightforce reach out to the Rokslide sponsor Camerland.

That's true, I always forget about the 4-14. The 3-10 SFP is a fine option for folks that want a closer range bomb proof scope, but the 4-14 F1 is a good option.

The MIL-R is regarded by a lot of folks as being sub-optimal for hunting, it gets skinny-ish at lower magnification.

Bcleck90

WKR
That's true, I always forget about the 4-14. The 3-10 SFP is a fine option for folks that want a closer range bomb proof scope, but the 4-14 F1 is a good option.

The MIL-R is regarded by a lot of folks as being sub-optimal for hunting, it gets skinny-ish at lower magnification.

I wish Nightforce would make a 3-10 FFP with a good reticle. I like the Mil R for the most part. I’m usually 6-9x range anyway and it works well for me in that range.

I have a couple of 3-10’s with duplex reticles on set and forget guns. Muzzleloader and 60’s era Remington 700 30-06 that was my grandfather’s rifle.

OP
S
I was contemplating the maven for some time. But I’m cheap and like to get a good deal on just about everything I buy. So probably going with a 4-14 SHV. Found one for just under 800 basically brand new. Can’t seem to find any of the rs series second hand for much of a discount.

eric1115

WKR
I was contemplating the maven for some time. But I’m cheap and like to get a good deal on just about everything I buy. So probably going with a 4-14 SHV. Found one for just under 800 basically brand new. Can’t seem to find any of the rs series second hand for much of a discount.
Probably because everyone that gets one likes it too much to sell 😁

eric1115

WKR
I wish Nightforce would make a 3-10 FFP with a good reticle. I like the Mil R for the most part. I’m usually 6-9x range anyway and it works well for me in that range.

I have a couple of 3-10’s with duplex reticles on set and forget guns. Muzzleloader and 60’s era Remington 700 30-06 that was my grandfather’s rifle.
A FFP 3-10 SHV with SWFA's MQ reticle, capped windage and exposed zero stop elevation seems like such a no-brainer to me. They would sell a ton.