Maven 1.2 2.5-15 new MOA reticle?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m tired of waiting and playing the fastest click game for the mil version. And personally, I really don’t care, MILS versus MOA, I use both and they both work fine for my needs.

I see now that maven has a new SHR-W reticle in moa that looks the same as the Mil one. Has anybody actually got their hands on one of these? Is the reticle just as visible at low power?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I got my hands on one for testing.

I know Form has his system with MIL, and it is a good one ... but I get along fine with MOA reticles, and I am going to see how I like this one.

Also looking closely at the optics and features.

The thread is here:

Maven RS1.2 SHR-W Review Thread

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Can someone confirm that the SHR-W is the same as the mil reticle everyone knows and loves? With the exception of the measurement system, of course. Same visibility at low power is what I’m most concerned with.

It’s hard to tell in pics, and frankly, the low power pic in the link above did not look impressive to me. Not sure I would call it usable based on the pic alone.

lelliott8

FNG
1721837164110.png

Its not the same size. The MOA reticule is about two thirds of the size of the MIL reticule.

Macintosh

WKR
And, the diagrams dont include any info on line thickness. Thats 95% of the info needed to judge if the reticle will be visible.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
View attachment 740615

Its not the same size. The MOA reticule is about two thirds of the size of the MIL reticule.
Are you basing that assessment off of just the appearance of those images? I’m not seeing any quantified measurements there on line thickness.

I called Maven’s customer service and the lady who answered said they were the same size, but in the same conversation she also started to explain to me that it depends how I wanted to do the conversions, that the mil reticle was for those who wanted metric measurements and moa for inches. Needless to say, the call didn’t instill confidence. I’m not even sure she understood what I was asking.

lelliott8

FNG
Pick one of the dimensions such as the overall width they list. On the MIL scope, the width is 20 mil, which is about 72 inches at 100 yards. On the MOA scope, that same measurement is 40 MOA which is about 41.8 inches at 100 yards, or about 60% of the size of the MIL scope.

You can do that same conversion on any of the measurements, or whatever ones you feel are most important because the width of the posts is really not that important. The distance between the center dot to the thick line on the windage of the MOA scope is 10 MOA (2.91 MIL), but the center dot to thick line on the mil scope is 5 MIL (17ish MOA).

Based on the provided measurements the MOA scope has a smaller reticle. What I don't know ( I don't own either) is if that size difference is enough to make the reticle hard to see/more or less usable for your use case.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Pick one of the dimensions such as the overall width they list. On the MIL scope, the width is 20 mil, which is about 72 inches at 100 yards. On the MOA scope, that same measurement is 40 MOA which is about 41.8 inches at 100 yards, or about 60% of the size of the MIL scope.

You can do that same conversion on any of the measurements, or whatever ones you feel are most important because the width of the posts is really not that important. The distance between the center dot to the thick line on the windage of the MOA scope is 10 MOA (2.91 MIL), but the center dot to thick line on the mil scope is 5 MIL (17ish MOA).

Based on the provided measurements the MOA scope has a smaller reticle. What I don't know ( I don't own either) is if that size difference is enough to make the reticle hard to see/more or less usable for your use case.
Seems to me you are measuring subtensions and converting to inches. Thats the corresponding distance that the reticle hashmarks cover. I understand your math, but does that mean too that the line thickness is proportionately thicker or thinner? To me, that’s a different matter.

lelliott8

FNG
I see what you mean now. Someone would have to get the dimensions from Maven for the MOA and then create an image like is in the review.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 10.01.36 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 10.01.36 AM.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 33

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Use a calipers on your phone screen and interpolate the thickness of the line

lelliott8

FNG
Maven advised the Primary Stadia are 0.8 MOA for the SHR-W and 0.4 Mil for the SHR-Mil.

So the SHR-W is significantly thinner than the SHR-Mil
Sharing from a similar thread for viz.

Last edited by a moderator:

vmals

FNG
I just got one with the MOA 2 reticle. Looking around here its the least popular option, any reason for that?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I just got one with the MOA 2 reticle. Looking around here its the least popular option, any reason for that?
Because it's an overly busy mess and all that excess clutter in the view is simply not needed.

Would you use the reticle to shoot 1200 yards in 40-50 mph winds? Ha! You wouldn't be shooting period, yet Maven (and others, to be fair) puts that subtension in the reticle.