Maui Fishing

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My friend and his son went on a private charter, they caught a 180# yellow fin tuna and the boat kept it. I said, you paid big money to go out and fish for tuna and the kept, really. Such a deal. pocket the $$$ and the tuna. WTF.

Last edited:

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I have spent way too much money in Cabo, Mazatlan, Belize, Costa Rica, and others and I won't do it again. I've seen the pics of all the fish they got yesterday and they are always shocked at how bad the fishing was today.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have spent way too much money in Cabo, Mazatlan, Belize, Costa Rica, and others and I won't do it again. I've seen the pics of all the fish they got yesterday and they are always shocked at how bad the fishing was today.
That a fact.

Hawaii style fishing is the most over rated and expensive tourist trap fishing there is. Spend a ton of money to troll around with greatly oversized gear so the boat can back down on a fish I catch on 30 lb gear elsewhere. Sure once in awhile you get into a bill fish.... which frankly is also overrated as a sport fish. I go out of san diego and spend far less money, catch more fish, use light tackle so I am actually doing the fishing and best of all i bring home coolers full of fish.
I am actually headed to Maui next week with a group of non fishermen and they all thought I would be all excited to go fishing there with them. dont get me wrong I will go with them and drink their beer and enjoy the boat ride but cranking in a small tuna or dorado with a pool cue rod with a warn winch attached to it just doesnt excite me. I may try and find some light tackle options while I am there but really I would rather just save my money and come home and go on a 2-3 day trip from SD.

kda082

WKR
We were there in March several years ago. Highly recommend a whale watching tour. We got to see a mother and calf get chased by numerous males. Makes a person feel small. From our balcony could see them constantly jumping out of the water. One of the coolest things I’ve experienced.

KHNC

WKR
In Alaska they let you keep all the fish. In Hawaii, in my limited experience, they generally give you one fish and the rest goes to the boat/captain. They call it "Captain's Catch." I wish I would have known that before I chartered a fishing trip in Maui. So my advice, if you want to stock up on fish, is negotiate that beforehand.
This is definitely true in Maui. The mates constantly mentioned tips during the entire trip. I went in Mid april one year. It was TOO early and the water wasnt warm enough for fish to be around yet much. We caught exactly ZERO. They made it clear if we had caught any they were going to be selling them to the local restaurants.