Maui Fishing

feanor

WKR
I’m heading to Maui in April and was looking to see if anybody had recommendations for a fishing boat to hire out. I don’t really fish much but would love to get some fish to eat and get out on the ocean.

In Alaska they let you keep all the fish. In Hawaii, in my limited experience, they generally give you one fish and the rest goes to the boat/captain. They call it "Captain's Catch." I wish I would have known that before I chartered a fishing trip in Maui. So my advice, if you want to stock up on fish, is negotiate that beforehand.

Zappaman

WKR
Same with hunting Africa... cancelled my seat on a safari when I discovered you can't take ANY meat home... just heads (which I need no more of until I get a mansion with lots more wall space). Still, I'd pass unless I get to eat what I kill (or catch on a boat).

Also I don't have any intel on a good charter in Maui because the one I hired was only "meh." Hopefully you'll get some good recommendations from others.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My friend caught a 180 tuna while there and got, jack. I could not believe it. You pay top $$$ for a trip and get nothing but a sore back, while they take the tuna and sell it at market price and make more $$$. screw that.

Marble

WKR
I've gone fishing in Maui I think 4 times. It was a waste of time and money. I've fished all over the south in the gulf, Alaska and CA. All of them were better than Maui IME.

I've seen successful people come in, just not on the boats I've been on

My opinion and what I may do next time is buy a Hawaiian spear and snorkel after fish off the reaf. Just drive to various reefs and do some Intel on fish you would like to eat and get after it.

It's like hunting and fishing at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Do you fly fish? Go fish for bones off of the flats in Kihei. Charter fishing in Hawaii is a waste of time and money, as it is most places.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Good info all around. Thanks guys. I guess I’ll stick to poke at the supermarket then. I have spear fished years ago on the big island, but don’t have much desire to any more. It was fun for a while. Interesting to note the quota on fish.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Do you fly fish? Go fish for bones off of the flats in Kihei. Charter fishing in Hawaii is a waste of time and money, as it is most places.
No fly fishing for me. Probably down the road though when my son gets old enough.

Zappaman

WKR
I've gone fishing in Maui I think 4 times. It was a waste of time and money. I've fished all over the south in the gulf, Alaska and CA. All of them were better than Maui IME.

My opinion and what I may do next time is buy a Hawaiian spear and snorkel after fish off the reaf. Just drive to various reefs and do some Intel on fish you would like to eat and get after it.

If you want to do some killer spear fishing (lion fish especially) go to Cay Caulker Belize and look up Ash (or just ask the first person you see when you get there where he is- they'll know).

We were scuba diving there with Ash's outfit and went out for lion fish with the rubber "three point" spears (easy and fun just watch the Loin Fish spines!) But our dive master nailed a 4 ft barracuda with his full spear gun. We watched him reel it it for a few minutes- perfect shot from 15 ft out!

We also dove (snorkled) for conk- got 4 lbs of MEAT! (But you can't scuba for conk- have to free-dive- which we did between scuba dives).

After we got in, they let me help clean it all (laughing at me trying to hammer the conk out of about a dozen large shells). When we were done they gave me a 5 gallon bucket FULL of ready to freeze/eat fish and conk- like 35 lbs!. I insisted on giving them about 1/2 of it, then tipped them another $80 on the spot.

I think we saved about $300 eating our OWN fish and conk (dropped off day one, and prepared nightly for four nights out of six by "Enjoy" restaurant a few blocks from our condo). They like to SLOW smoke most fish there-- right in front of you, while you hang on the swings and enjoy good drinks. And you can walk home afterward. Bliss!

Marble

WKR
If you want to do some killer spear fishing (lion fish especially) go to Cay Caulker Belize and look up Ash (or just ask the first person you see when you get there where he is- they'll know).

We were scuba diving there with Ash's outfit and went out for lion fish with the rubber "three point" spears (easy and fun just watch the Loin Fish spines!) But our dive master nailed a 4 ft barracuda with his full spear gun. We watched him reel it it for a few minutes- perfect shot from 15 ft out!

We also dove (snorkled) for conk- got 4 lbs of MEAT! (But you can't scuba for conk- have to free-dive- which we did between scuba dives).

After we got in, they let me help clean it all (laughing at me trying to hammer the conk out of about a dozen large shells). When we were done they gave me a 5 gallon bucket FULL of ready to freeze/eat fish and conk- like 35 lbs!. I insisted on giving them about 1/2 of it, then tipped them another $80 on the spot.

I think we saved about $300 eating our OWN fish and conk (dropped off day one, and prepared nightly for four nights out of six by "Enjoy" restaurant a few blocks from our condo). They like to SLOW smoke most fish there-- right in front of you, while you hang on the swings and enjoy good drinks. And you can walk home afterward. Bliss!
That's good info... thank you!.. I've got a buddy who owns a dive shop here locally. I'm sure he's got something I can use while I'm there.

Then, I've got another buddy near Kona. Native boy...he's a killer with bow, knife and rifle. I'm sure he would know where I should go and do some snorkeling.

Clarktar

WKR

Headed there on Tuesday! Two weeks of family chill time. Bringing my fly rod and snorkel mask.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ya on most of the charters you are just paying for their gas money and lucky to get a couple of filets if you do catch anything. lots of good advice on here.

dtrkyman

WKR
Have not fished Hawaii but have always gotten my share of catch on any boat I hired for the day. did have a guy in Costa Rica seem to forget all his English suddenly when I wanted some of the tuna I caught. Told him to give it up or I was taking everything! Got my fair share.

Tell them ahead of time you would like some fish to eat or take someone else fishing!

S-3 ranch

WKR

Yep , my experience also, hop on a plane to Kona and it’s night and day
awesome fishing

Hawaii only lets you keep up to 20lb fish per angler, but not all outfits do this. Use fishbooker.com and you can see individual captains policies. We fished out of Haleiwa the last time we went. Awesome charter, 3 people it was about $500/each with tip. Into fish non stop. Boat is the Flyer.

Fish 1.jpgFish 2.jpg

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Must be different for tourist, I grew up on Oahu and we’re charter when on other islands and always kept most of our catch. Would ask the crew/captain if they wanted any and they would always take some. I don’t know any boats on Maui but if you end up on Oahu or Big Island shoot me a pm and I can give you some contact info

Call a couple outfits and ask. If you go get a 3 prong and some gear while there make sure you know what you’re going to shoot. Can get yourself into a lot of trouble for taking the wrong fish