Matt Rinella for president

woods89

WKR
I think you're right. The recent walleye cheating scandal is certainly interesting but not novel. Dudes have been cheating for a long time. Dudes who had TV shows and all that. People still bought stuff from them.
Even outside of hunting there appear to be a lot of things that used to get swept under the rug. These days everyone has a camera, can share stuff easily, and we have access to documents like never before. I think it's a valid point that people have always misbehaved, but it's harder to get away with today.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Even outside of hunting there appear to be a lot of things that used to get swept under the rug. These days everyone has a camera, can share stuff easily, and we have access to documents like never before. I think it's a valid point that people have always misbehaved, but it's harder to get away with today.
Which is a good thing. Some people on here act like rokslide has to be the police for this stuff-no thanks. We are not investigative reporters/PIs, and neither are 99. 9% of our members. (Although you wouldn’t know it looking at some of these threads.)

There are plenty of places out there to reveal bad behavior for those who are hiding it.

Harder than ever to be a lawbreaker now.

Even if a company ignores complaints for associating with a convicted lawbreaker, if they hear enough of it, they have to take action. It may be quietly behind the scenes, just terminating an agreement, not using a person anymore etc.

Or could it be that some people break the law, and then try to get it right after that. Maybe some people deserve a second chance?

I go to Expo every year, I see these influencers all over the place. To my knowledge I don’t see anyone bringing these issues up with them. They’d rather do it anonymously online.

woods89

WKR
Which is a good thing. Some people on here act like rokslide has to be the police for this stuff-no thanks. We are not investigative reporters/PIs, and neither are 99. 9% of our members. (Although you wouldn’t know it looking at some of these threads.)

There are plenty of places out there to reveal bad behavior for those who are hiding it.

Harder than ever to be a lawbreaker now.

Even if a company ignores complaints for associating with a convicted lawbreaker, if they hear enough of it, they have to take action. It may be quietly behind the scenes, just terminating an agreement, not using a person anymore etc.

Or could it be that some people break the law, and then try to get it right after that. Maybe some people deserve a second chance?

I go to Expo every year, I see these influencers all over the place. To my knowledge I don’t see anyone bringing these issues up with them. They’d rather do it anonymously online.
Good points.

It's also worth noting that companies that hold themselves to a high standard need to hear about it as well. I've sent Nightforce a product request, and made sure I told them how much I appreciated their commitment to building reliable products, when I'm sure they could just market mediocre stuff like crazy and make just as much money.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
@robby denning I personally would 100% rather bring issues up in person with hunting celebrities. But I don’t go to expos or fashion shows. There’s several influencers who I hope dearly to run into in the mountains and have a talk about ethics they portray/fake and spot burning. I’ve been wanting to go to sheep show maybe this year I can finally make it!

Love this thread. The (Best Rinella) movement is growing, albeit slowly. I think the future depends on our community having these conversations as much as anything else. We have a lifestyle to protect and need to get money/product pimping/kill shot compilation videos out of it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The thing I’ve always said to people who get worked up about anything on the internet…. Why do you let it affect your life?

I’ve not had a social media (unless you count forums) since I had a MySpace page in high school. And guess what, if you don’t look at garbage you won’t get your panties in a wad over nonsense.

Just imagine if you didn’t even have to think about it, and you just lived your life and took care of your family. Hunted every opportunity you could get and actually called friends/family on the phone and talked to them. Imagine not worrying about strangers opinions or they’re doing with their own lives.

Delete your garbage apps and live a little.

We’ve got to take the money out of the “hunting industry”. That’s easier said than done. One of the key pillars of the North American Model of Conservation, that many influencers and industry folks love to talk about, is the elimination of markets and commercial use of wildlife. Yet here we have probably the biggest market we have ever had around the commercial use of wildlife, and to the detriment of hunting as a recreational pastime, sport, and family tradition.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone care to give a recap of what this is about?
There's a thread on AT about it.

A certain celebrity hunter and his wife's court case and him pleading guilty a few days ago before the Grand Jury trial was scheduled to take place in a few weeks.

The PACER court docs are out there and available for all to see but sadly most won't.

sndmn11

WKR
I posit that violations of law and on the fence ethical actions take place everyday of the hunting season. Nobody "cares" unless it is a known person.

I had posted somewhere on here about a friend running across a handful of carcasses in the unit we hunt. He spent most of September hunting the alleged poachers, never hunting his own tag, and provided CPW with a lot of information for them to investigate. The result was great and I hope they throw some preference points at him. I also bet very few people outside of those he knows, and knows where he hunts, are aware of this.

I am also aware of someone who is at a 33% recovery rate on elk so far this year, but they aren't famous.

I think if "we" are to care so much about what a person "we" will never have any influence over it is a bit wasted. The best way to affect law violations and iffy actions is to take care of yourself and those you are responsible for first; if "we" all did that, and reported an law violations (because that is probably an ethics thing), then there would probably be an improvement. There's some saying about cleaning up your own yard before peeking over your neighbor's fence that comes to mind.

Wellsdw

WKR
Just curious What are some of the most guilty influencers and brands associated with them? I’m all game for sending a message. But, I don’t follow anyone for the most part but I do buy stuff unaware of the “influencers” per se with better options out there

sndmn11

WKR
I posit that violations of law and on the fence ethical actions take place everyday of the hunting season. Nobody "cares" unless it is a known person.

I had posted somewhere on here about a friend running across a handful of carcasses in the unit we hunt. He spent most of September hunting the alleged poachers, never hunting his own tag, and provided CPW with a lot of information for them to investigate. The result was great and I hope they throw some preference points at him. I also bet very few people outside of those he knows, and knows where he hunts, are aware of this.
News flash: CPW is giving my friend a season choice elk tag for the unit this occurred in for 2023.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious What are some of the most guilty influencers and brands associated with them? I’m all game for sending a message. But, I don’t follow anyone for the most part but I do buy stuff unaware of the “influencers” per se with better options out there
You will have to look elsewhere for those answers.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Somebody send this man a p.m.!

We’ve got to take the money out of the “hunting industry”. That’s easier said than done. One of the key pillars of the North American Model of Conservation, that many influencers and industry folks love to talk about, is the elimination of markets and commercial use of wildlife. Yet here we have probably the biggest market we have ever had around the commercial use of wildlife, and to the detriment of hunting as a recreational pastime, sport, and family tradition.
It's an enormous uphill battle for sure at this point.

I'm in the market for a new pack and I have it down to 2 options. One company has a section dedicated to a youtube influencer group's branding. The other company is owned by a mega conglomerate of outdoor brands and they have a dedicated link to sign up to be a "pro influencer". Yuck on both accounts.

By the way, I headed over to youtube to check out a review of one of the packs and none other than Robby Denning himself was the top result reviewing a SG pack from the woods. Great review btw 😂.

svivian

WKR
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment..... for perspective I don't do social media at all other than this forum and a few other forums.

First of all, I understand people's sentiments towards hunting as wanting it to become less popular but that also comes with consequences. For example, I personally do a lot of freshwater spearfishing which is very unpopular especially here in Colorado. We have tried for years to get regulations to change to match what other states allow and we have gotten nowhere. The CPW wants nothing to do with it. I would imagine if it was a more accepted and popular hobby that the state thought would bring in more money, they would be more willing to listen.

This brings me to my second point in regard to legislation and laws for hunting. Who is going to stand up and fight when numbers get down. The same people who are loud on social media about their success are also usually the same people who are willing to be loud when it matters. I feel that sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. These social media influencers do have a way of gaining traction and voice to not only hunters but those outside the industry which we need at times.

If you needed to get as much support as possible for a major change in our industry, who do you think would bring a more positive impact and following for that particular situation... Steve Rinella or his brother Matt?

bsnedeker

WKR
The same people who are loud on social media about their success are also usually the same people who are willing to be loud when it matters.

From what I've seen on SM I disagree completely with this point. For every influencer out there who genuinly advocates for conservation and the protection of our hunting rights there are at LEAST 10 who shamelessly self-promote without lifting a finger to help drive conservation and hunting rights.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk