Matt Rinella for president

Ucsdryder

WKR
I hope this thread makes it.

Hunting is a privilege that we absolutely can, and probably at some point, WILL, lose, and the more we talk about these things, bring them to light, and work to fix them, the longer we can hold onto the past time we love.

I deleted who posted the comment, hoping @robby denning spuld let this slide. I think having a conversation about ethics, why we hunt, what it means to us, and how we should be conveying our love to neighbors, friends, and our kids is vital.

Ok, enough, here’s the post. The question is, what can we do about this stuff? Not follow along on social media? Not talk about it? Not give them a platform? I think those are obvious answers, but go read through some of the posts on any influencer and you’ll see post after post or people idolizing the person.

Attachments

• A28E49BA-7F96-41E0-AB49-EEAD6361D7F1.jpeg
    A28E49BA-7F96-41E0-AB49-EEAD6361D7F1.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,190
Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
It is easy. Don't follow and/or engage with hunting influencers and ESPECIALLY don't support people who are clearly into hunting only for the personal/monetary gain it gives them. It is OBVIOUS who these people are and they are easy to ignore. Take away the incentive to be dirtbags and there will be few dirtbags.

woods89

WKR
All I know to do is not click, follow, or friend. I flat don't watch hunting videos anymore.

I also have no compunction about buying gear from non hunting companies. This is a little hypocritical because almost every company is supporting influencers in some way, but at least they aren't playing in the hunting field.

To be honest there’s not much we can do. Don’t like em? Don’t follow em, but there’s 100 people that will blindly follow them in your place. Don’t like their products? Don’t buy em. But there’s 100 people that will blindly buy them in your place. Hell, they don’t even need to know about the bowmars, but they see Levi Morgan, etc supporting them and it’s automatic. The Bowmar’s have completely controlled the narrative since day one and I doubt the lose a fraction of a percent of followers or business over this because the average follower doesn’t care enough to do any research on what took place.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with everyone that’s posted. Can we keep this civil and informative and maybe some of these threads won’t need to be censored…
We’re all good with stuff like this, let’s just not turn it into personal attacks that then descend into slander & the next thing you know people being accused of things that are far beyond what they even did.

Not following and engaging civilly with those you don’t agree are a few ideas.

To be honest there’s not much we can do. Don’t like em? Don’t follow em, but there’s 100 people that will blindly follow them in your place. Don’t like their products? Don’t buy em. But there’s 100 people that will blindly buy them in your place. Hell, they don’t even need to know about the bowmars, but they see Levi Morgan, etc supporting them and it’s automatic. The Bowmar’s have completely controlled the narrative since day one and I doubt the lose a fraction of a percent of followers or business over this because the average follower doesn’t care enough to do any research on what took place.

I agree. I do vote with my dollar. I don't think it makes a difference. But I'm a principled man damnit. :)

TheTone

WKR
Agree with others don’t follow them, don’t buy there products, avoid buying from the companies that support them and at times give feedback to the companies that support them as to why you won’t do business with them. I’ve asked some companies why they use convicted poachers for promotion and the response was essentially that the person has a big following and is a good guy in person. Will my personal boycott matter, probably not, but it does make me feel better. It’s sad to me how the hunting “industry”. (I truly hate that term) forgives and forgets people that do wrong. There is no shortage of people doing things right so why keep using people that didn’t and don’t to promote your stuff?

woods89

WKR
Ted from ARC once said that the reason he doesn't play in the prize tables in PRS was because he wanted people to know when they saw his products being used that the person believed in the product so much that they went and spent their own hard earned money to have and use it. I thought that was a really refreshing marketing perspective. I wish more companies would just focus on building great products. We have the internet, we can figure out what works or not.

I do not need social media personalities telling me what to use. In fact, I would argue, some of these personalities are pushing people into gear that is going to negatively affect their overall experience.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I feel the best thing is to contact the companies politely and let them know how you feel. Another thing is to take as many youth hunting as you can and show them the way. That way they will learn from a good example you set for them.

On a side note:
One thing I've noticed lately is a lot of outrage over what "celebrity" hunters are doing. I personally don't think much has changed in the industry for decades. People have been making a living by promoting hunting and fishing for a long time. The platforms have changed with social media, but I think the same type of stuff has been happening for a long time. I could be wrong, and it may be way worse now. I have to admit I watch very little hunting content unless I know the person and want to see how their hunt went.

Sadboy

FNG
Multiple things here. Breaking laws is one thing, marketing/ influencers is a separate thing. Is not talking about hunting or promoting it in mainstream social media a good thing? Wouldn’t normalizing it be better? Guess it depends who you ask. I can’t say I agree with Matt Rinellas take on things, but everyone is aloud their own perspective.

One thing I've noticed lately is a lot of outrage over what "celebrity" hunters are doing. I personally don't think much has changed in the industry for decades. People have been making a living by promoting hunting and fishing for a long time. The platforms have changed with social media, but I think the same type of stuff has been happening for a long time. I could be wrong, and it may be way worse now. I have to admit I watch very little hunting content unless I know the person and want to see how their hunt went.

I think you're right. The recent walleye cheating scandal is certainly interesting but not novel. Dudes have been cheating for a long time. Dudes who had TV shows and all that. People still bought stuff from them.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What about forum sponsors who support these poachers and "celebrities" Kifaru comes to mind right off the bat...
And this is why these threads head for the ditch right here. It’s cancel culture and soon no one can associate with anyone because someone did “x” and is associated with a brand. Take it to Kifaru if you have a gripe about someone