Mathews VXR 28

Mwilson

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it’s been so long since I’ve bought a bow. In fact I’ve never owned a brand new bow, set up for me, with my exact draw length, tuned to me... however I’ve fallen in love with the looks and concept of the new Mathews bow. I’ve only shot Mathews bows so they’re all I know. I’d like to know what you guys think of the new bow and it’s performance, especially coming from someone other than the YouTube salesman. I’m also open to other bow companies, I just know nothing about them

thank you

Zac

WKR
I love The Fall Podcast | EP 96 | Bow Build Part 1 With Wilde Arrow Archery, let's play it!
Here's a podcast you may want to listen to before you buy. Mostly accentuates the different limb options.

Find a pro shop that carries all the major brands and will let you shoot them. Try to shoot them all while being brand agnostic. You'll find "the right" bow for you. I really liked the VXR, but after shooting a lot of other bows, I kept going back to the Vertix.

I’m in a very similar situation except I’ve only shot used Hoyt bows. While in quarantine I decided to sell my 2017 Hoyt Defiant Pro and invest in the new Matthews VXR 28. It delta incredible right out the gate. Smooth draw, solid back wall and with the integrated rest I was grouping well within minutes. Can’t keep my hands off this bow . I’m using the truball goat release with the bow set at 28 draw length, 70 lbs draw weight. Best of luck !

Zac

WKR
Not sure if you've bought one yet. Anyhow I would look at the Traverse if you are interested in Mathews. Longer ATA, longer brace, lower letoff options. Overall alot more shootable bow than the 28 inch model. Also you could pick up one for less money than the VXR.

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
3CC5083F-9ED9-4F65-89C5-A25E00D1F06C.jpeg
I sold my Triax to upgrade to the VXR 28 and can tell you it’s an amazing bow. People say the Triax was smooth , but the VXR wins hands down. You won’t regret it. And I have over 1000 shots on the factory strings if you hear the strings are breaking mines been perfect.

Reactions: Zac

chasewild

WKR
Not sure if you've bought one yet. Anyhow I would look at the Traverse if you are interested in Mathews. Longer ATA, longer brace, lower letoff options. Overall alot more shootable bow than the 28 inch model. Also you could pick up one for less money than the VXR.

This is what I did.

And then I shot the Traverse all spring and couldn't get it to shoot with a tension release (heavy breaking point).

Went back to my Elite 35 (limb stops seem to help my shooting style) and my confidence went through the roof as my groups shrank immensely.

This is what I did.

And then I shot the Traverse all spring and couldn't get it to shoot with a tension release (heavy breaking point).

Went back to my Elite 35 (limb stops seem to help my shooting style) and my confidence went through the roof as my groups shrank immensely.

Interesting. I had the opposite issue. I struggled to keep the pins steady with tension activated release on my carbon air 35 ECS (draw/back wall reminds me of e35) but on bows with a little give (Halon 32, bowtech reign) I seemed to execute shots better.

Zac

WKR
This is what I did.

Elite 35 is also a very good bow. I remember I put limb stops on my Hoyt Defiant when I was shooting my Carter Evolution. However I went back to cable stops for the hinge. Maybe there's something to that. That was a pretty wild set up. I was shooting 82 lbs with 75 % let off.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
View attachment 220782
I sold my Triax to upgrade to the VXR 28 and can tell you it’s an amazing bow. People say the Triax was smooth , but the VXR wins hands down. You won’t regret it. And I have over 1000 shots on the factory strings if you hear the strings are breaking mines been perfect.
I've heard both good and bad with the Zebras, all I can figure is that the company is not very consistent. I put my old set back on the VXR while I was waiting for another string to arrive. I had to put bunches of twists in order to get it to time right.

SoDaky

WKR
Great bow.I have an RX4,Reckoning and the 28.Hunting exclusively with the 28.

chasewild

WKR
Elite 35 is also a very good bow. I remember I put limb stops on my Hoyt Defiant when I was shooting my Carter Evolution. However I went back to cable stops for the hinge. Maybe there's something to that. That was a pretty wild set up. I was shooting 82 lbs with 75 % let off.
Ya, I think this is right (if Levi Morgan is any authority) -- the hinge and the cable stops create a dynamic release (of which I'm not real familiar) where the tension release is static and apparently less accurate. I know I'm butchering this, but it was in one of his videos on youtube.

chasewild

WKR
Interesting. I had the opposite issue. I struggled to keep the pins steady with tension activated release on my carbon air 35 ECS (draw/back wall reminds me of e35) but on bows with a little give (Halon 32, bowtech reign) I seemed to execute shots better.

Yup, I think this is also what Morgan was talking about in my reply to @Zac . I cant remember exactly the rationale, but I think for competitive shooters, the cable stops and hinge do something that a tension and hard back wall can't.

Yup, I think this is also what Morgan was talking about in my reply to @Zac . I cant remember exactly the rationale, but I think for competitive shooters, the cable stops and hinge do something that a tension and hard back wall can't.

In my simple mind, that give in the wall is more forgiving of my imperfect tension that isn't in a perfect line away from the target where as a wall that is rock solid results in those imperfections being noticed in pin movement a little more.

I've heard both good and bad with the Zebras, all I can figure is that the company is not very consistent. I put my old set back on the VXR while I was waiting for another string to arrive. I had to put bunches of twists in order to get it to time right.

I have had two different experiences with zebra trophy strings, set on my trx 36 has been fine. Set on my vxr 31.5 probably didn't go but 2-300 shots before a cable started to stretch. Think they are hit or miss, I intended to shoot the strings on the VXR thru atleast an elk hunt if not the first 6-8 months, but they had different plans. I was shooting 75# on the VXR, TRX isn't but 60. Shouldn't matter tho.

I'd agree they have some consistency issues.

Zac

WKR
Ya, I think this is right (if Levi Morgan is any authority) -- the hinge and the cable stops create a dynamic release (of which I'm not real familiar) where the tension release is static and apparently less accurate. I know I'm butchering this, but it was in one of his videos on youtube.
Levi does shoot a hinge with a hard back wall. However he does not use back tension. He rolls through the shot. Most pros are activating that way. However most of them are running very low let off so the back tension already exists more than a guy shooting 90 percent. Kyle Douglas is holding 23 lbs on a 60 lb bow.