Match grade bs or not

Blandry

WKR
I've been using the easton axis long range match grade vs non and I'm pulling the same amount of arrows from my hunt quiver. Is it really worth it to pay for match grade for hunting under 60 yds?

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, match grade is more of a marketing term than anything else at this point. That being said, I still buy the "match grade" components but research what the tolerances are rather than "match grade"

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I agree at this point.. not seeing much of a difference between .003 and .001 'match grade' most manufacturers are offering.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I agree at this point.. not seeing much of a difference between .003 and .001 'match grade' most manufacturers are offering.
If you're cutting you're arrows short, you can buy a .003 and after cutting get it close to .001 if done correctly. I have a 32" draw so I don't have that luxury and always get .001. Also, one issue I've ran into with manufacturers is weight sorting vs weight consistency. They'll sell you a dozen arrows at 350 grains plus or minus .5 grains. Later you buy the same exact arrows but in a new batch they are 360 grains plus or minus .5 grains. Aka they sorted the arrows to be close instead of having consistent manufacturing. It's frustrating because it makes you question everything and you basically have to start over with a whole new set.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, with a long draw I don't always have the luxury of cutting from both ends, and sometimes not even one end. So I always get the straightest and tightest tolerance arrows. I've shot some arrows in the past with lower tolerances and I have and can see a difference for me.

Bump79

WKR
If you're cutting you're arrows short, you can buy a .003 and after cutting get it close to .001 if done correctly. I have a 32" draw so I don't have that luxury and always get .001.
This is spot on. I have a 30" draw and cut my arrows around 28.5 depending on components. I spin each arrow and determine which side has any wobble (if any) and cut from that side. If both sides wobble I cut from both, one side I cut from that or I'll even do it in smaller increments to see how much I can get out.

Depending on manufacturer even .006" arrows will turn out really darn well for someone with say a 28" draw.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
For hunting inside of 60yds I don’t think match grade arrows are necessary. I did some testing a few years ago out to 80yds with some basic hunter arrows and then some high end arrows, there wasn’t enough difference in accuracy or consistency for me to say the the premier arrows were better. I do cut my arrows short, 27” draw length, so that probably helps.

you'd have to have a trained eye and good equipment to see .003 runout. The little tools that get sold for "testing runout" are generally not calibratedJust because you see "wobble" in a component doesn't mean its the arrow thats not spinning true. You can actually get along pretty damn good with a .005 arrow and I'm sure the majority of people can tell a difference

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
If you're cutting you're arrows short, you can buy a .003 and after cutting get it close to .001 if done correctly. I have a 32" draw so I don't have that luxury and always get .001. Also, one issue I've ran into with manufacturers is weight sorting vs weight consistency. They'll sell you a dozen arrows at 350 grains plus or minus .5 grains. Later you buy the same exact arrows but in a new batch they are 360 grains plus or minus .5 grains. Aka they sorted the arrows to be close instead of having consistent manufacturing. It's frustrating because it makes you question everything and you basically have to start over with a whole new set.

I cut mine to 28'' so what you guys are saying makes perfect sense. I'll likely forgo 'match grade' in the future for hunting arrows. It would be rare (i.e. never lol) for me to attempt an 80 yard shot at an animal and I don't do 3d matches or tac etc.

I'd also think manufacturing processes from the big arrow manufacturers is so precise now days it's moot.

Last edited:
I agree with others. I stopped worrying about the straightness for the most part awhile ago. Both match grad and .003/.006 can crap if your components are also crap and poorly installed. I think that screws things more. Poorly cut and squared arrows ruins more than straightness from what I’ve seen. You can cut the straightness problem out to a degree if your draw length and still fail in the components.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Exactly. A vane thats off, improperly installed half out, or nock can negate that .003/.001

That's why I'm arrow tuning.. it's fun stuff lol

KBC

WKR
I just made a dozen match grade and a dozen .003” axis 5mm just over 29”.
I spun the .003 and either cut equal amounts or took 1/4” off one end and the rest off the other end if one end was really wobbly.
The match grade I just squared the back end and took everything off the front end.
So far it looks like the .003 arrows I spun and cut accordingly are more accurate than the match grade ones.

Trial153

WKR
The cost difference is negligible. Start with the best shaft you can get and build a consistent arrow around it.

HuntCrazy

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a standard .246 arrow in a .006. I cut from both ends and square it ..... yet to find a critter that complained it wasn't straight enough.... played the .001 game don't believe it it worth it,
HOWEVER.... confidence is key... if you have to have the .001 for your own state of mind.... spend the $$$

Bambistew

WKR
People have been dupped by supposed upgraded options for millennia. I remember when the best arrows had tolerances higher than standard ones today.

It's called psychological marketing.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I can see why someone would choose match grade. 3D and competition out to 80+ yards but for the average hunter who cuts arrows to <30'' and max distance is 60-80 I'm just not seeing it. Also @$70 more per dozen don't think its needed in my case.

It's good to be able to ping things off you guys who have much more experience than me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have no doubt that I could buy and use full length .006" arrows and go kill stuff. But the other 11 months out of the year they would drive me crazy while shooting at targets.

Probably psychological.. but would still rather pay for the peace for when I miss the center that it was me, not .002 difference in QC check..