Masculinity and Caliber Choice

KenLee

WKR
Form and I have butted heads on a few topics on here over the years, mostly trying to gain an understanding of what exactly the other is trying to accomplish. At the end of it all, we are after the same goal, and I’ve found that just about all of his sentiments prove to ring true when you are in the field.

The statement I quoted above is 100% seen and proven in my experience shooting/hunting/guiding/instructing for the last 25 years.

It doesn’t matter the shooter skill level, gender, temperature, the terrain, the wind, whether on targets or animals, the color of pants they are wearing, or who they voted for… The easier the gun is to shoot, the higher the success rate. Nothing rings more true in shooting/killing for me.

Although mentioning gender, in general, any females I’ve shot with and taught have been more proficient shooters with the same level of experience when compared to males. What’s interesting about this in a “masculinity” thread is that they are almost always shooting smaller caliber bullets which are easier to shoot. Food for thought for the tough guys.
I'd agree that generally females are better shooters, and I've seen it with many rifles I'd consider heavy kickers for their body size.
The difference I've noticed is that a higher percentage of females are more shooters and less killers. Get shaken when it's time to kill.
Also true with males, but to a lesser degree from what ive seen..
I've even seen it with some mean a** females (some of which I was married to) 😉

KenLee

WKR
When i started hunting in the 70's, we were in an area with maybe 20% success and you might see 1 animal during a 9-day season. If it was a legal animal, you took whatever shot you could get and angle the bullet into an anchor or kill shot. Preferred shot was high shoulder, the less it moved the better cause it would usually run downhill into the thickest stuff around.

Rifle hunting - Say critter is 100 yds away, looking at you/me, antsy getting ready to bolt - can see one eye, half a head and a big antler, couple trees, the rear half of guts + butt end. Is it a hunting story about the big one that got away or are you quartering that animal? My guess is that most guys would be telling a story around campfire that night. A few would be packing out meat.
Half a head at 100 yards?
He's graveyard dead before he hears the shot.
300 yards and I'd probably pass for the moment and hope for a better shot to materialize.

manitou1

WKR
As a newish hunter, I’ve been talking to many folks regarding calibers, rifles, etc. It seems there is a pretty substantial amount of hunters who make fun of people who use “wimpy” calibers and try to justify using a 338 Win Mag on southern white tails.

Shouldn’t a person use the strongest caliber they can shoot the best? A .243 in the right spot is miles better than a 300WM in the dirt ya know?

I’ve even been told the .270, .308, and even the .30-06 isn’t good enough and a magnum is needed 🤣. Doesn’t make sense.

Thoughts on why some people seem to think their masculinity coincides with their caliber choice?
Personal choice.
Accuracy trumps fpe and fps as long as they do the job.
Millions of deer have been killed with the .243 and 30-30... even a lot of elk.

Your ability/range limitations are more a determining factor IMO.

Forty years ago the 7mm Rem mage was considered too much for deer and the .308 and .243 were the stables.

IMO, the 7mm-08 is about an ideal whitetail cartridge for just whitetals to 650 yards and in.

Where I live now, I use the .280 Rem and 280ai for everything from antelope to elk to mule deer/whitetail as it is my ideal all round cartidge for what we hunt.

Every body has their pet cartridge, which happens to be the last one they bought it seems.

manitou1

WKR
I'd agree that generally females are better shooters, and I've seen it with many rifles I'd consider heavy kickers for their body size.
The difference I've noticed is that a higher percentage of females are more shooters and less killers. Get shaken when it's time to kill.
Also true with males, but to a lesser degree from what ive seen..
I've even seen it with some mean a** females (some of which I was married to) 😉
They ought to be accurate.. they take twenty minutes to set up and take the shot, lol.

My wife and a buddy's mom are deadly but about give me a heart attack waiting for her to shoot.😁

Dobermann

WKR
Well, you listen here, sonny. Let me tell you about growing up in rural Wyoming. Back then, trust was earned. You’d ride your cart and buggy down to the local woodworker’s home and enjoy fresh mead with him while you built a sturdy relationship through mutual storytelling about rural Wyoming. That’s how you know. Common sense.
1713734970017.png

KenLee

WKR
They ought to be accurate.. they take twenty minutes to set up and take the shot, lol.

My wife and a buddy's mom are deadly but about give me a heart attack waiting for her to shoot.😁
Yes sir I've been there dozens of times, maybe over a hundred.
2nd ex wife one time said really pissy "just shoot it yourself, you asshole!". Heavy horned buck still hangs on my wall as a reminder that a feller only has so much patience 😀.

TaperPin

WKR
50% off isn't a experienced shooter then.

"This experienced racecar driver only crashes leaving the pits 50% of the time"
If you’ve never been off by 50% in weird hard to call winds, then you are amazing. At ground level in this picture where the fire fighter is there is no wind - until you get above tree tops. I’m quite impressed you can make accurate calls when shooting across a canyon like this.C9F38075-0A4B-43D1-A47D-F007C21400BA.jpeg

Robobiss

FNG
Yes sir I've been there dozens of times, maybe over a hundred.
2nd ex wife one time said really pissy "just shoot it yourself, you asshole!". Heavy horned buck still hangs on my wall as a reminder that a feller only has so much patience 😀.
This is golden

TaperPin

WKR
How do you find them a credible source of information with no demonstrated validity of their information?
Honestly I feel bad for you guys that didn’t have the opportunity to grow up around competent role models. Your question makes it clear nobody in your life cared enough to help or teach you much. It must be hard not being able to tell if someone has their head straight or not.

TaperPin

WKR
Well, you listen here, sonny. Let me tell you about growing up in rural Wyoming. Back then, trust was earned. You’d ride your cart and buggy down to the local woodworker’s home and enjoy fresh mead with him while you built a sturdy relationship through mutual storytelling about rural Wyoming. That’s how you know. Common sense.
I also feel bad for you - the ability to understand a credible source from someone without a clue is an important skill. It can’t be easy butting heads about simple things that the other person (and many others) have already figured out and have had reliable success with. You seem upset that history has shown that many larger calibers actually kill things quite well - it’s too bad you can’t learn from those who came before you. I enjoyed soaking things in from the old timers that had experience with things I was interested in - it must have really sucked that you didn’t have these types of people in your life.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Honestly I feel bad for you guys that didn’t have the opportunity to grow up around competent role models. Your question makes it clear nobody in your life cared enough to help or teach you much. It must be hard not being able to tell if someone has their head straight or not.
It’s the internet dude. For all we know you could be a 17 year old girl getting your rocks off by trolling middle aged hunters on a back country hunting forum.

Relax.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s the internet dude. For all we know you could be a 17 year old girl getting your rocks off by trolling middle aged hunters on a back country hunting forum.

Relax.
If can’t tell when someone has backcountry experience, that must be a bummer. 17 year old girls sound a lot different from 57 year old guys who where born into multigenerational western hunting families, and have been doing what many of you claim to be interested in our entire adult lives.

Last edited:

yeti12

FNG
If can’t tell when someone has backcountry experience, that must be a bummer. 17 year old girls sound a lot different from 57 year old guys who where born into multigenerational western hunting families, and have been doing what many of you claim to be interested in our entire adult lives.
Ah there's the problem. You are 57 and know everything.

TaperPin

WKR
Ah there's the problem. You are 57 and know everything.
I’ve always said if someone can come up with a better idea I’ll be the first to adopt it. I’ve used that philosophy on all my hunting and shooting gear, and how I hunt since junior high. I’ve had more time to refine things than younger guys and have been surrounded by guys who have had their shit together the whole time - I’d be a complete knuckle head if after 4 decades I didn’t have any solid equipment choices and methods. I never claim to know everything, but there are few truly new issues and topics every year.

I’ve been the exact same way in construction - if the newest guy on the crew has a better method to do anything, we’ll start using that as our best practice. The catch is It’s rare for a carpenter with even 5 years of experience to come onto a high performing crew with most guys having decades of experience, and know a good way to do anything, let alone teach us anything.

There’s no age limit to good ideas, but it takes more than good intentions to come up with ideas the rest of us have been working on and testing for years.

PNWGATOR

WKR
And besides making quiche, I smoke some mean salmon.

Yesterday

View attachment 702621

View attachment 702622

View attachment 702623

Packaged today

View attachment 702624

P
If you haven’t already, give “Clark’s Quiche” a try:

Clark's Quiche​

This recipe is excellent served for breakfast with fruit or at lunch or dinnertime with a salad. This recipe makes two 9 inch pies. The reason for this is because if you only make one you will hate yourself the next day when there are no leftovers. The quiche microwaves well the next day. In fact most people say that the flavors have blended better on the second day... If in the strange case that you are filled up with one pie, this is a great gift to give a friend or relative, or if you are stingy...it freezes well with tin foil.
Submitted by Clark Hamblen
Prep Time:

15 mins
Cook Time:

1 hr
Additional Time:

10 mins
Total Time:

1 hr 25 mins
Servings:

Yield:

2 (9 inch) pies

Ingredients​

• ½ pound thick sliced bacon
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • ½ pound fresh mushrooms, finely diced
  • 2 cups finely diced smoked ham
  • 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions​

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside. Cook spinach according to package instructions. Allow to cool, then squeeze dry.

2. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until soft and translucent. Stir in mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft. Stir in ham and cooked bacon. Remove from heat.

3. In a large bowl, combine spinach, sour cream, salt and pepper. Divide, and spread into pie crusts. Layer with bacon mixture. Mix together Monterey Jack, Cheddar and Parmesan, and sprinkle over pies. Whisk together eggs, half-and-half and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, and pour over pies.

4. Place pies on baking sheet, and bake on middle shelf in preheated oven for 40 minutes. The top will be puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

wyosam

WKR
I think it’s great that a thread about guns and masculinity has turned into a quiche recipe exchange. Wish I had a good one to share, but they’re generally made up on the fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Obviously we’re all people of taste and distinction, so our preference would be to use a homemade pie crust*.

Butter or shortening? I prefer the browning I get with butter, but find cold shortening easier to deal with, which in turn reduces the risk of pie plates flying across the kitchen. For that reason, I tend to use butter flavored shortening, specifically with the Serious Eats recipe that makes use of a food processor.

*Anything prepared on a week day is going a crust from my grocer’s refrigerated section

mt100gr.

WKR
Maybe there needs to be a rokslide quiche cook off!! Invite all of the 57+ roksliders to judge it, so there can definitely be no concensus, and tell how no one knows shit about quiche and back in the day, with an onion on their belt, quiche was for children and women that couldn't handle the "recoil" of a real breakfast.

Gorp2007

WKR
Maybe there needs to be a rokslide quiche cook off!! Invite all of the 57+ roksliders to judge it, so there can definitely be no concensus, and tell how no one knows shit about quiche and back in the day, with an onion on their belt, quiche was for children and women that couldn't handle the "recoil" of a real breakfast.

Have Jake and Ryan host at UM world headquarters, call it the Full-Assed Quiche Academy (FAQ-U) and give away half priced cerakote to all participants and a Rokstock to the winner.