Marsupial Gear Bino Harness-Magnet Issues?

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at getting a bino pack/harness and rangefinder pouch. I've been considering the Marsupial Gear enclosed bino pack and rangefinder pouch, but have read that a few people had issues with the magnets messing with their compass. I don't navigate with a compass. However, I use my phone GPS (Android & Google Maps) as well as a Garmin Forerunner 245. Will the magnets screw up these electronics?

I also saw that Marsupial Gear has a non-magnet bino pack. Is there a good non-magnet rangefinder pouch that will attach to it similarly to their pouch? I'd like to avoid buckles and zippers.

Following. Just got the non magnetic harness yesterday and need a non magnetic range finder pouch yet

intunegp

WKR
I run the magnet version of the bino harness and range finder pouch and have never had issue with it interfering with my phone or other electronics in the field. I keep my phone in the mesh pocket on the back most of the time.

Jbxl20

WKR
I have the magnet Bino and rangefinder pouch. It messes with the compass direction on maps like OnX. It does not affect GPS. In CO I was using the tracking feature and my buddy was not and relying on the compass pointer on his phone. It was all out of whack but by running tracking or even dropping a pin and then walking away from the pin then will give you the actual direction your heading. Hope this makes sense.
Yes it can mess with your phone but I still plan on using mine with the magnets.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I have the magnet Bino and rangefinder pouch. It messes with the compass direction on maps like OnX. It does not affect GPS. In CO I was using the tracking feature and my buddy was not and relying on the compass pointer on his phone. It was all out of whack but by running tracking or even dropping a pin and then walking away from the pin then will give you the actual direction your heading. Hope this makes sense.
Yes it can mess with your phone but I still plan on using mine with the magnets.
How close was your phone to the magnets when it was messing up?

nobody

WKR
I bought the magnetic marsupial pouch last fall when I got my Razor UHD's. Trip number one with the harness had me walking in circles in the dark for about 25 minutes trying to walk into a new spot following a waypoint I had placed earlier in the week while e-scouting. After getting frustrated, it hit me: the magnets. I handed my phone to my wife, who proceeded to walk us right into the spot without issues. It rained all day on us so I couldn't return it, but I had a coworker that had the Maven B.2's and wanted a harness. I told him of my issues and he still wanted the harness, so I sold it to him for what I paid for it. He hasn't had any issues. I have an iPhone and he uses android, so maybe that has something to do with it. I replaced it with the Kuiu pro harness and have loved it. I would've done the Marsupial fully enclosed with the elastic closure, but they were out of stock.

If I were you, I would do the non-magnetic version. I used to think it was over-exaggerated by haters, but then it happened to me.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I just tested my phone's gps and it isn't affected by 4 strong fridge magnets. Don't know if that means anything.

I’ve been using the marsupial magnetic closure harness for 2+ seasons, no issues with my phone gps. The iPhone compass will act funny until I hold it out a foot or so from the harness and it’s fine.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone having issues with rangefinder magnetic pouch and rangefinder having accuracy issues?

I just got the maven rangefinder and they actually recommended the marsupial RF pouch with magnets. Now they tell me that the magnets can cause issues with button function. I haven’t experienced anything yet but I don’t really know what to do at this point.

If the maven RF can’t function properly with the magnetic pouch, I’m kinda stuck with both the pouch and the RF. Problem being the maven RF is rather large and there are not many options out there. I really like the magnetic closure of the marsupial bino and RF harness.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone having issues with rangefinder magnetic pouch and rangefinder having accuracy issues?

I just got the maven rangefinder and they actually recommended the marsupial RF pouch with magnets. Now they tell me that the magnets can cause issues with button function. I haven’t experienced anything yet but I don’t really know what to do at this point.

If the maven RF can’t function properly with the magnetic pouch, I’m kinda stuck with both the pouch and the RF. Problem being the maven RF is rather large and there are not many options out there. I really like the magnetic closure of the marsupial bino and RF harness.
I haven't, but I use the Vortex Diamondback rangefinder.

I just tested my phone's gps and it isn't affected by 4 strong fridge magnets. Don't know if that means anything.
It’s not really an issue to me, just be mindful of it and it’s fine, don’t have to have the compass or phone very far from the harness to have them function properly, if you hold it really close to the top of your harness, things get wonky, but a foot from the harness is a non issue

My rangefinder has never experienced any problems with magnets, when I’m using the rangefinder, it’s always far enough from the magnets, you’ll be fine with the magnetic marsupial with the rangefinder pouch, I have found you almost have to try to get your nav equipment close enough to be an issue

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not really an issue to me, just be mindful of it and it’s fine, don’t have to have the compass or phone very far from the harness to have them function properly, if you hold it really close to the top of your harness, things get wonky, but a foot from the harness is a non issue

My rangefinder has never experienced any problems with magnets, when I’m using the rangefinder, it’s always far enough from the magnets, you’ll be fine with the magnetic marsupial with the rangefinder pouch, I have found you almost have to try to get your nav equipment close enough to be an issue
Same experience for me.

Best harness I've used yet, no issues with the magnets.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Afhunter1

WKR
I have an IPhone 11 Pro and I use the marsupial magnetic bino harness. I also use OnX all the time. It messes with mine pretty bad. Even with my arm fully extended it messed with it. One time it wouldn’t correct itself and I had to take harness off and shut phone down and turn it back on. I’ve never had a problem because most times I know about the direction I need to go but it has caused me a few problems over the years. None that have caused me to do any extra walking though.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Badlands magnetic harness. It messed with both Pixel phones I had but does not seem to bother iPhone 13.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
interesting. I have been using the marsupial w magnet and haven't had a problem, but will start testing this out...

ToolMann

WKR
Mine definitely messes with my Samsung phone compass in OnX and my normal compass. But as others have stated it doesn't change the gps or tracking features. Knowing the issue is there is good enough for me. Only got off course once at night not knowing the issue and that was with my older/different magnetic harness.