Mark V Hunter Vs T3X light roughtek in 300 Win Mag

Hey guys, I’m looking for a new 300 win mag bolt gun for western big game hunting and I’ve narrowed it down to these two rifles. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with both rifles or could give reviews on one of them. I want something that’s durable, accurate and light. I know the weatherby has 9 lugs which makes it stronger(?) and a shorter bolt throw. But I’ve heard tremendous reviews about the t3x especially for the price. Would I really gain anything with the mark V for the extra few hundred bucks? Thanks

I run a Mark V Weathermark in 300WM, came from Remington 700. Feels more refined and solid for sure. Can’t compare to the T3 but can say it’s been the smoothest non custom rig I’ve ran. Hope this helps

I have a tikka and like it a lot. I handle a mk v yesterday in 300wm and really liked the feel of the action but the barrel is really thin in my opinion.

OP
O
I have the Tikka in 300 win mag and I love it. Verry accurate, action is great, and trigger is nice as well. You feel the recoil because the rifle itself is pretty light but I put on a Limbsaver recoil pad and that has helped quite a bit.
Thanks for the info! Once my money is right I’m gonna get a 300 roughtek and put a nice optic on it. Can’t wait.

The tikkas are really nice. Every one I've owned has shot well.. I currently own 7 or 8 of them. Their factory barrel muzzle velocities run a bit slow, but are accurate. The magazine is limited to 3.4" and max electable case length in the long actions is 3.5" This is a non-issue if you plan to run factory ammo, but may need to be taken into consideration if you do plan to reload.

The tikkas are really nice. Every one I've owned has shot well.. I currently own 7 or 8 of them. Their factory barrel muzzle velocities run a bit slow, but are accurate. The magazine is limited to 3.4" and max electable case length in the long actions is 3.5" This is a non-issue if you plan to run factory ammo, but may need to be taken into consideration if you do plan to reload.
Ejectable*

Another thing to look for on the tikkas, especially in 300wm is the barrel twist. Older models in 300wm are 1-11" twist. Which should be fine up to most 180gr bullets. The newer 300 wm tikka rifles have 1-10" twist, which would stabilize the heavier / longer bullets better, incase you decide to go up to something in the 200gr weight. I believe all the roughtech 300wm models are 1-10 twist, but it wouldn’t hurt to check.

Gila

WKR
Actually I have a Tikka T3x in 300 win mag and am looking at going with the Weatherby. My Tikka barrel is SS 1:10” twist but a 1:11” twist will work just fine for any available factory ammo. Bottom line is If you don’t handload and are content using factory ammo the Tikka will work for you. But if you do hand load and want to shoot heavy VLDs you may want to go with the Weatherby because the Tikka action can only handle a COAL of 3.5”. The Tikka DBM is shorter than that and is maxed out at 3.37”. The Weatherby doesn’t have a COAL limitation and you can load to whatever cartridge length you want to. Shooting the heavies above 200 gr you will want a 1:10” twist which the Weatherby has.

Gila

WKR
Thanks for the info! Once my money is right I’m gonna get a 300 roughtek and put a nice optic on it. Can’t wait.
A little tip with the Roughtech stock. I would go with a low mount smaller diameter scope with a 44mm or less or you may need to get a cheek piece. I have a tactical scope with a 30mm tube and a 50mm bell on my ember stock but it just fits without a cheek piece. With my T3x lite stock I have a scope with a 34mm tube and a 50mm bell sitting on top of a pic rail with tactical rings and I have to use a stock pack with a 1” riser.

Actually I have a Tikka T3x in 300 win mag and am looking at going with the Weatherby. My Tikka barrel is SS 1:10” twist but a 1:11” twist will work just fine for any available factory ammo. Bottom line is If you don’t handload and are content using factory ammo the Tikka will work for you. But if you do hand load and want to shoot heavy VLDs you may want to go with the Weatherby because the Tikka action can only handle a COAL of 3.5”. The Tikka DBM is shorter than that and is maxed out at 3.37”. The Weatherby doesn’t have a COAL limitation and you can load to whatever cartridge length you want to. Shooting the heavies above 200 gr you will want a 1:10” twist which the Weatherby has.
There are heavy factory ammo options in 300 wm, in the 200gr range, that will fit the tikka magazines, that will benefit from a 1-10 twist, . The hornady 200gr ELD-X precision hunter being one of them... The Mountain tactical billet aluminum magazines are a little over 3.38"... Hells canyon Armory claims 3.41." Internal OAL on their factoy compatible tikka magazines. Currently the longest magazine that I know of for a T3 (That reliably feeds) is 3.470" internal OAL. And you have to go with a MDT chassis and use the aics pattern 3.560" magazines.... Or, use the "Watters rifle man" drop in bottom metal that accepts the same 3.560" aics magazines that the MDT chassis uses. (Part Number :1013) on their website. I have emailed them and ordered one. WR claims their bottom metal works just as well as the MDT chassis with the 3.560" magazines. They only come in a 5rd magazine, but Kinport rifles can cut one down to a 3rd for $100...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230808_015715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230808_015715_Chrome.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230808_014934_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230808_014934_Chrome.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230808_042049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230808_042049_Chrome.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230808_050407_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230808_050407_Chrome.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 7
I really like tikka, but it is not a great choice for a 300 win mag for all the reasons already listed. Sako s20 from eurooptic is what I'd pick for a 300 win mag.

Not a “rifle” guy but I bought a new 300 last year. Both these guns made my short list. Never had a chance to shoot the weatherby but it’s fit and finish were a Notch or two above tikka. The price of the tikka and my positive experience with my tikka in 308 and 6.5 creed won the day. I don’t really hand load and don’t care to load up long heavy bullets so the OAL and twist issues weren’t part of my decision. Mine shoots like a laser and I put the extra $$ toward glass.

Gila

WKR
There are heavy factory ammo options in 300 wm, in the 200gr range, that will fit the tikka magazines, that will benefit from a 1-10 twist, . The hornady 200gr ELD-X precision hunter being one of them... The Mountain tactical billet aluminum magazines are a little over 3.38"... Hells canyon Armory claims 3.41." Internal OAL on their factoy compatible tikka magazines. Currently the longest magazine that I know of for a T3 (That reliably feeds) is 3.470" internal OAL. And you have to go with a MDT chassis and use the aics pattern 3.560" magazines.... Or, use the "Watters rifle man" drop in bottom metal that accepts the same 3.560" aics magazines that the MDT chassis uses. (Part Number :1013) on their website. I have emailed them and ordered one. WR claims their bottom metal works just as well as the MDT chassis with the 3.560" magazines. They only come in a 5rd magazine, but Kinport rifles can cut one down to a 3rd for $100...
All 300 win mag factory ammo is loaded to SAAMI COAL of 3.34” for rifle compability. The ELD-X 200 gr bullet box has 1:10” twist on it. But in reality if most of your hunting is above 6K elev. and shooting within 600 yds, I don’t really think it makes that much of a difference. You won’t find any heavier bullets than 200gr factory loaded because the bullets are too long. If you go with a chassis, there is only one make that I know of that even accepts long action mags for the Tikka because the action limitation is 3.5”. If you want to shoot heavy VLDs will need 3.6” plus. I actually tried an AICS mag solution to get 3.5” for my Tikka. The AICS mags work well at the range but during a hunting situation they suck. I spent $500 on AICS mags and couldn’t even get one of them to feed reliably because of the feed ramp on the Tikka action.

Last edited:
All 200 win mag factory ammo is loaded to SAAMI COAL of 3.34” for rifle compability. The ELD-X 200 gr bullet box has 1:10” twist on it. But in reality if most of your hunting is above 6K elev. and shooting within 600 yds, I don’t really think it makes that much of a difference. You won’t find any heavier bullets than 200gr factory loaded because the bullets are too long. If you go with a chassis, there is only one make that I know of that even accepts long action mags for the Tikka because the action limitation is 3.5”. If you want to shoot heavy VLDs will need 3.6” plus. I actually tried an AICS mag solution to get 3.5” for my Tikka. The AICS mags work well at the range but during a hunting situation they suck. I spent $500 on AICS mags and couldn’t even get one of them to feed reliably because of the feed ramp on the Tikka action.
Yep. A lot of the aftermarket aics bottom metals for the Tikka t3 try and use 3.715" aics magazines.... MT, redsnake, cdi, atlasworks... Which protrudes under the feed ramp and allows the tip of the rounds to slide under the the feed ramp, and the feed lips require adjustment to make the rounds sit more pronounced and angled correctly on feeding onto the ramp.... Which is why both MDT and WR use the 3.560" aics with the binder plate fwd in the magazine, keeping the tips from sliding too far fwd. Yeah, you may need 3.6 + to load a berger 20k off the lands. But 300wm isn't the only cartridge in the world... A 7 rem and a 180 berger would reach the lands in the MDT or maybe some of the other Hornaday bullets that seem to group tighter, with more of a jump in a 300. I appreciate anyone making a functional product (that actually works) and gives people options beyond what was previously limited. I handload, and that's why my 300 Tikka is a wsm... I can seat them out as far as they like. The twist rate is a moot point if buying a newer Tikka 300win mag. They all come with 1-10 now.

Gila

WKR
The 165gr Gamechangers and 180gr Accubonds shoot really well in my Tikka. Seems that both bullets like a lot of jump….and there is a lot of jump in the Tikka chamber….The barrel has a Giraffe throat!

I just purchased for an Oct rifle tag!! Tikka t3x lite Roughtech ember, topped with Nightforce 4-14x56, sportsmatch rings (t073?) 180 gr Accubonds handloaded to 3k MV. The rifle is very nice!! smooth action, nice trigger, accurate, and recoil is very manageable @ close to 9–10-pound rifle. I went with the 300-win mag because of ammo and reloading components I have on hand. I also don't feel limited by 150-200 gr projectiles with the 1:10. Ballistically the 180 gr Accubonds hold enough velocity and energy to effectively kill elk out to 8-900 yards. Farther than I care to shoot on game animals.

Gila

WKR
The 180 gr Accubond is about as good as it gets for an elk bullet IMHO. A first rifle tag is about all I care to get these days. I love to hear bugling bulls!

Congrats on getting your early rifle tag! And your Tikka!