Manfrotto "Off Road" Tripod series

Anybody played with these yet? I'm a fan of Manfrotto stuff, but this one is pretty different. Found it hanging in the local Sportsmans Warehouse this week.

http://www.manfrotto.us/product/7269.58969.29903.0.0/MKOFFROADB/_/OFF_ROAD_TRIPOD_BLUE

From what I can tell in the store, it looks like it borrows heavily from trekking pole design, with four thin wall aluminum telescoping sections and some kind of internal friction twist lock that looks pretty unconventional for a tripod. Very, very light (stated 1.43 lbs) with a skeleton ball head on it that I haven't seen before. Folded up to a pretty slim package.

Cons I can see would be the slow deployment of the leg sections and I suspect that thin aluminum would be pretty be weak for an 80mm+. Might even be dubious for a 65mm, but I'm just playing with it in the store so I don't know for sure.

Looks like they also rolled out some new carbon fiber and compact tripods this year that I haven't seen.

Yk

muleman

WKR
I too like Manfrotto. That Off Road tripod looks pretty slick and the price isn't too bad. I wonder if the head is fixed or not.

I'd like to see a one ton big brother version, with fluid head; of this half ton off roader.

ACC

FNG
I like the weight but almost 22 inches closed length is too long for me.

Needs to have the ability to spread the legs wider when set up low (sitting behind an angled Swaro) IMO. It won't be as stable if you can't widen out the foot print based on my experience with other brands. The specs don't show another notch to set the legs flatter. I also like a detachable tripod plate that stays on the scope instead of threading it on/off the scope every time you use it. Interesting design though and saves 4 ounces over what I use now.

OP
Yellowknife
I like the weight but almost 22 inches closed length is too long for me.

Yeah, with my current pack (SG 7400) I'd be happy to have the longer length. I usually end up leaving the lower section of my current one extended so it straps on better. My Barneys needs to have a shorter version to fit in the pocket, so that would be a valid issue for that pack.

N I also like a detachable tripod plate that stays on the scope instead of threading it on/off the scope every time you use it.

It looked like the head was replaceable, so it be swapped out with any QR head of a persons choice. However, just looking at it in the store the wheel thing looked plenty quick enough. How smooth the ball operates and how much flex it has would likely be the bigger issue.

Like I said before, the real concern is how stable the legs are, and how well they damp vibration. Found this video on youtube that looked less than promising.

https://youtu.be/S42X-0HmFss

Certainly looks dubious for the 85's. Might even be best suited for the light 50mm scopes, although it would be worth at least trying a light 65 perhaps.

Yk

sdr

FNG
I have it. It works well for binos but it is a little too unsteady for my 65 Swaro spotting scope. I need to play around with it more to see if I will use it for a hunt where I need to glass a lot.
It is 3 trekking poles with a little ball head. The ball head is metal to metal so there isn't cheap plastic to break. I haven't hunted with it yet, it is too new but very light and compact so I had to get it. It would be great for a small camera tripod.