Magnum primers needed

leachguy

FNG
I'm in South central Montana. I'm curious where guys are getting their magnum primers these days? I'm signed up for back in stock notifications on just about every store. Is gunbroker my only option? All my "local" stores within 100 miles just seem to laugh when I ask about primers.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Small rifle magnum primers have been available…I just bought a couple of bricks recently. But LR magnum primers are quite scarce right now as you have found out. I could use another brick of LR primers but by the time I get an in stock notification they are sold out. I went through this a couple of years ago and just waited it out for a few months….wasn’t going to give GB the satisfaction.

Maybe someone will come along here and sell you some to keep you going.

Do you have to have magnum primers, i.e you can't use anything else?

Only asking as you could substitute a standard primer and not spend too much time fine tuning the load, if at all, if it means otherwise not shooting at all.

OP
leachguy

leachguy

FNG
OP
leachguy

leachguy

FNG
Do you have to have magnum primers, i.e you can't use anything else?

Only asking as you could substitute a standard primer and not spend too much time fine tuning the load, if at all, if it means otherwise not shooting at all.
I'm just impatient to set up my new toy is all. I've got a handful of guns that shoot regular large rifle and have near a full brick left still. Just wanted magnums so I could go dial in a load and get it trued at distance so I'm not rushing this fall.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm just impatient to set up my new toy is all. I've got a handful of guns that shoot regular large rifle and have near a full brick left still. Just wanted magnums so I could go dial in a load and get it trued at distance so I'm not rushing this fall.
Where in Central MT?

OP
leachguy

leachguy

FNG
That's kind of where my head is too. I don't want to accept that price yet, but when they come back in stock other places will they be the same price? Probably close.

It's the most critical component. There are tons of options for powder, bullets, and brass but they are worthless without a primer. Buy them when you can get them.

Here is a post I made in a different thread regarding primers.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Places that have had large rifle primers come into stock recently were $0.10-0.115 before hazmat/shipping. I will admit I haven't seen magnums come into stock for a while so those are ripe for extra markup.

EdP

WKR
I just sucked it up and paid the shipping and hazmat and bought enough that it is unlikely I will ever run out.

Large rifle/magnum primers are scarce. our reps dont even offer them on allocation. $120-$160 is the going market rate and i can tell you it's not your LGS or powder valley gouging you. manufacturers have raised the price 5x what it was pre-covid.

and dont expect it to come down.

OP
leachguy

leachguy

FNG
Large rifle/magnum primers are scarce. our reps dont even offer them on allocation. $120-$160 is the going market rate and i can tell you it's not your LGS or powder valley gouging you. manufacturers have raised the price 5x what it was pre-covid.

and dont expect it to come down.
That's about what I figured. When products sell at higher prices, they don't need to lower the prices.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I just got some standard LRPs at the local Scheels. I was on a call list with the reloading manager. That was the 1st batch that came in over a year. I caught a brick of mags at Cabelas prior to that (probably over a year ago).