Magnification Effect on Elevation for SFP scopes

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
I am in search of a resource that will help me understand the geometry, trig, math, etc. for SFP rifle scopes and how the subtensions scale with respect to elevation or hold-over when not at a specific magnification (typically max).

I am familiar with Strelok, Zeiss, Nikon, etc. apps capability to solve this problem for me but I would like to develop my own cursory understanding of how those calculations are made by such applications.

I have read speculations that don't make sense to me like some holdover using max magnification at some range would be half of that holdover at half of that magnification, etc. My expectation is that it is trigonometry instead that dictates this as well as the magnification scale.

I have searched around for a good explanation and come up empty so far. If anyone is aware of a good resource, I would appreciate the pointer. Thanks.

It depends on your scope and reticle. Reach out to the manufacturer of your scope and find out. I reached out directly to Meopta and got an answer back the next day directly from one of their guys in the Florida office.

Thanks. Your answer is consistent with my expectation that the internal geometries of the scope have to be taken into consideration. I will still like to find the resource that explains the variables and how the solution can be calculated.

BTW, I had a different experience with Meopta on the Optika6. Their response from Meopta was "buy Strelok Pro". My response was to not buy Meopta.

Same guy that I contacted previously so I will give him another try.

Still interested in a generic resource that explains the calculations.

That is what I expected - that MOA/MIL should scale. Agree that magnification multiplier mileage may vary.

Back