Mag primers?

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning all,

So I’ve been working on a load for my 30-06 T3x w/ the Barnes 130TTSX and I’ve worked my way up to max using varget (56.5gr). I found that even at max I’m getting 200fps slower then book speed and speeds others are getting. So varget is out. I'm switching to Big Game.

With the varget I had zero pressure signs w/ max and LR primer. What is everyone’s thoughts on switching to a mag primer?

Im starting with a mag for the big game.

PS- I load this bullet in my wife’s 308win and it’s throwing fast then my 30-06 at the moment.

Advice?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive used mag primers in a 6.5 creed for 1500 rounds. Takes a grain or so less H4350 for same speed

I had to shoot 7 RM with LR for a while around covid time… finally found magnums and got (1) maybe another 50 fps and (2) lower SDs - maybe better burn?

Like they said above I’d just start lower and work up.

Go over book until you find pressure or at least that's what I would do. What book you using?

With the 6.8w data on the Hodgdon website, it said book for 4831sc was 55.8gns but it was like 300fps less than what it stated. I chased that speed and got up to 61gns with no real pressure signs, maybe a faint ejector mark. I settled on 58gns for accuracy reasons, still not moving as fast as I want though.

Books/load data keeps getting dumbed down to be safe for not safe people. I would always chase pressure. There will be signs before you're truly in danger.

Edit: another question, test barrels are usually 24" how long is your barrel?

SloppyJ

WKR
I just did a primer test in my 22" 300prc. I picked up 61fps on average with magnum primers over BR2s. The problem is finding those damn things.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Can't find them anywhere along with all of the other people who pick them up in minutes of them posting.
I felt pretty lucky when walked into for local fleet store and they had about 2000 on the shelf. My wallet didn’t like it but I had to get 1000 and let some else enjoy some too.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
In 06 Mag primers work well with H4831 and RL 22 but I would just start in the middle and work up looking for pressure signs.

What weight bullets are you loading. Those powders seem like you are loading heavier ones.

SloppyJ

WKR
I thought the same and then thought about my 280ai compared to my 30-06 both 22" barrels. 160gr 280ai and 165gr 30-06. 4350 vs 4831sc. I've heard before that there were some powder burn myths. I think it was S2H podcast where Jake said they achieve full burn in a short barreled 33xc or 300rum.

I've followed typical herd mentality with powder burn rates but I'm not sure they're the gospel like we think they are. My 280ai loves 4831sc, I haven't found much my 30-06 likes. I think I'll try the short cut in the 06 for giggles.

I just did a primer test in my 22" 300prc. I picked up 61fps on average with magnum primers over BR2s. The problem is finding those damn things.
BR2s like gold these days. Lucky to find em and if you do it'll cost you dearly. Like $160.

That jump in velocity is about what I saw in the 7RM.

Imo speed is over rated.

As long as you meet the minimum opening velocity for the bullet you want to shoot at the max distance you intend to harvest game.

Consistency is key, so the bullet hits where you intend.

SloppyJ

WKR
Imo speed is over rated.

As long as you meet the minimum opening velocity for the bullet you want to shoot at the max distance you intend to harvest game.

Consistency is key, so the bullet hits where you intend.
Intotally agree. My ES and SD went up a tiny amount with the mag primers but to me a more complete ignition on around 80gr of powder has to equal more consistency on target. That's what I'm testing next. I'd rather use my BR2s but I'm going to feed it what it likes.

E.Shell

FNG
Intotally agree. My ES and SD went up a tiny amount with the mag primers but to me a more complete ignition on around 80gr of powder has to equal more consistency on target. That's what I'm testing next. I'd rather use my BR2s but I'm going to feed it what it likes.
If ES and SD increased, what is your metric for 'consistency on target'? Precision?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I felt pretty lucky when walked into for local fleet store and they had about 2000 on the shelf. My wallet didn’t like it but I had to get 1000 and let some else enjoy some too.
Yeah I’m sitting on 3-4K large rifle magnum primers that at this point are set aside for my 375HH, that should last me most of the rest of my life luckily.

Maidenfan539

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did some testing with my 7 SAUM and my competition 6BRA. For the 6BRA magnum small rifle primers reduced ES and SD.

With the 7 SAUM the CCI200 showed a higher SD and ES and group size suffered. Switched to Fed Mag primers and noticed SD, ES and group size shrunk (Using same powder load of H1000).