.44 mag bullet that will handle 2000 fps

z987k

WKR
Well I have my 300 win mag for brown bear, 200 grain terminal ascent is my go to.
I'm more worried about emergency situations. I'd happily hunt black bear with 44 mag. My 44 is ust so weildy and fast I love it for deer, I'm just hoping to run a bullet that can do the job in a pinch if I have to on a prince william sound brownie.
Well good news is you've got a bunch of them on tap quickly. I really like the CE raptor at 200gr. https://cuttingedgebullets.com/products/44-200gr-handgun-raptor

This is worth a read to. https://handgunhuntingafield.blog/2024/03/13/mono-metal-bulletsa-multi-year-study/

OP
wartak

wartak

FNG
Well good news is you've got a bunch of them on tap quickly. I really like the CE raptor at 200gr. https://cuttingedgebullets.com/products/44-200gr-handgun-raptor

This is worth a read to. https://handgunhuntingafield.blog/2024/03/13/mono-metal-bulletsa-multi-year-study/
If performance is that good out of a revolver I aught to pick up another 300 fps out of a rifle. He was claiming 1900 fps out of his revolver. Extrapolate a little and I gather I could get 200-2300 fps out of my rifle. That sounds like a very flat 200 yard deer round. I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Smoke10

FNG
I haven't been able to find any to try them, but I've heard Speer's 'deep curl' jacketed soft points are tough bullets.
They make them in 240 grain and 270 grain and are a bonded bullet.

I would also go with the Swift A-frames in 240 or 280 grain if a person could find them.

OP
wartak

wartak

FNG
I haven't been able to find any to try them, but I've heard Speer's 'deep curl' jacketed soft points are tough bullets.
They make them in 240 grain and 270 grain and are a bonded bullet.

I would also go with the Swift A-frames in 240 or 280 grain if a person could find them.
Yeah finding them is the problem.

I have not used a 200 grain bullet (mono or otherwise) on a bear or moose.
I never would! Referring to handgun cartridge here.
The idea that it will out penetrate a properly alloyed 300 gr cast is not
at all believable!
I killed my first grizzly with a handgun over 50 years ago. It was a 240 grain jacketed bullet. I was very careful with the shot. The bullet went through the heart, from a front quartering shot,went all the way lengthwise and ended up in the rear leg muscle . The bullet was intact with no expansion . The bear made it about 20 yards on the run and collapsed.
Nowadays I expect complete pass through from any direction and it is possible if you use proper bullets.
We started using the heavy for caliber bullets about 40 years ago when JD Jones of SSK came out with his heavy bullet molds. Then Veral Smith of
LBT Molds came out with his designs.
I have never recovered a 300gr cast .44 from moose or grizzlies. That is several of each! Complete penetration.
I am referring to .44 in a handgun.
I am getting 1450fps in a 7 1/2 “ Revolver.
I cast my own bullets from custom molds
If you would like to try some I will send a batch .

Bob

Last edited:
OP
wartak

wartak

FNG
at all believable!
I killed my first grizzly with a handgun over 50 years ago. It was a 240 grain jacketed bullet. I was very careful with the shot. The bullet went through the heart, from a front quartering shot,went all the way lengthwise and ended up in the rear leg muscle . The bullet was intact with no expansion . The bear made it about 20 yards on the run and collapsed.
Nowadays I expect complete pass through from any direction and it is possible if you use proper bullets.
We started using the heavy for caliber bullets about 40 years ago when JD Jones of SSK came out with his heavy bullet molds. Then Veral Smith of
I have never recovered a 300gr cast .44 from moose or grizzlies. That is several of each! Complete penetration.

Bob
Do you suppose you could get close to 1800 fps out of a Henry 44? I have a 17.5" barel. The reason I am looking for faster speeds is so I can get a little flatter trajectory out to 150 yards on deer.
I don't want to sound like I'm arguing but my experience is that Moose die pretty easily if you put a bullet into their vitals. Bear on the other hand I'd agree are very tough. Heavy bullets make me feel much more comfortable than light ones in regards to bear.

OP
wartak

wartak

FNG
at all believable!

Bob
Also do you only cast 300 grain or do you have a cast for 250 or 260 grain?

Smoke10

FNG
Do you suppose you could get close to 1800 fps out of a Henry 44? I have a 17.5" barel. The reason I am looking for faster speeds is so I can get a little flatter trajectory out to 150 yards on deer.
I don't want to sound like I'm arguing but my experience is that Moose die pretty easily if you put a bullet into their vitals. Bear on the other hand I'd agree are very tough. Heavy bullets make me feel much more comfortable than light ones in regards to bear.
I have a winchester 1892 in .44 mag. It has a 20" barrel.
Don't remember my specific load right now but with 240 grain Nosler JSP and H110 powder, I was getting around 1700 FPS

OP
wartak

wartak

FNG
I have a winchester 1892 in .44 mag. It has a 20" barrel.
Don't remember my specific load right now but with 240 grain Nosler JSP and H110 powder, I was getting around 1700 FPS
That's pretty good I'd say.

The lightest mold I have for .44 is 245 gr.
I have 260, 275, 285, etc. all the way up to 340gr.
The thing that limits the bullet choice in a lever action is the length of the bullet projecting from the case, the nose profile , and the cartridge overall
length.
Some rifles are more picky than others.
Marlins are somewhat adjustable , meaning modifications can be made to
accommodate longer overall length. Wild West Guns in Anchorage is
experienced in that. I don’t know if they modify Henry’s?

OP
wartak

wartak

FNG
The thing that limits the bullet choice in a lever action is the length of the bullet projecting from the case, the nose profile , and the cartridge overall
length.
I can run 305 grain hard cast buffalo bore through my Henry but I have to run it fast or it likes to catch. That's the only reason I was curious about a lighter/shorter option.

OP
wartak

wartak

FNG
length.
285 might be just the ticket if I can get it to shoot reasonably fast