Madison WI

Grew up on the Horicon Marsh, never shot a duck or a goose in WI. Shot plenty after I moved away though. Went home this past year twice, first time in about 7 years, seeing family was important even though they come to visit quite a bit. One things for sure... I miss eating pan fried bullheads from the Rock River.

Grew up on the Horicon Marsh, never shot a duck or a goose in WI. Shot plenty after I moved away though. Went home this past year twice, first time in about 7 years, seeing family was important even though they come to visit quite a bit. One things for sure... I miss eating pan fried bullheads from the Rock River.
We always put bullheads right up there with carp. I caught and ate a lot of catfish from the Rock. I wish Knew about blackened catfish back then. We pan fired or deep fried. The first time I saw geese coming off Horicon Marsh, I didn't believe there were That many geese in the world, unreal.....

My grandpa, grandma and I caught a pile of bullheads when I was younger, and grandma would cook them so damn well, still one of my favorite meals of all time. Then we'd play sheepshead after supper. Fun times back then, time flies.

Was nice hearing the geese overhead this past fall while I was in a treestand, that never gets old.

My grandpa, grandma and I caught a pile of bullheads when I was younger, and grandma would cook them so damn well, still one of my favorite meals of all time. Then we'd play sheepshead after supper. Fun times back then, time flies.

Was nice hearing the geese overhead this past fall while I was in a treestand, that never gets old.
I had to go back and read that again, I thought you also ate sheepshead. :(

We ate tons of bullheads we caught out of the Milwaukee river in Kewaskum.

When the ice breaks in the spring off Mendota, that can be a spectacular sight. We used to jump in the water that day. There may have been alcohol involved, not sure.

We ate tons of bullheads we caught out of the Milwaukee river in Kewaskum.

When the ice breaks in the spring off Mendota, that can be a spectacular sight. We used to jump in the water that day. There may have been alcohol involved, not sure.
Copy that about Mendota ice break. I was actually on it once when it started. We made fast for the shore.

I have killed 1 goose and it was on Horicon. Cooked it and it was horrible. Never went goose hunting again. Now, I cant say I knew what I was doing but it was bad.

Thats sweet Buzz! I assume you will be located on Park Street. Just a stones throw away from my place of work.

Moved to Wisconsin many years ago. Chose Madison over Chicago for all the right reasons.

You wont have a free weekend with all the access to different fisheries within 2 hours in any direction. Lake Michigan tributaries in the spring/fall for Trout or Salmon is a must.

Cooking geese like most wild game requires patience. For that, I suggest sous vide. Goose breasts cooked this way will be tender and not overcooked. As others pointed out, goose jerky is the primary method of use.

Attachments

• Carnage Cay.jpg
    Carnage Cay.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 18
Thats sweet Buzz! I assume you will be located on Park Street. Just a stones throw away from my place of work.
I will be rotating between the main hospital so I get ER, Surgical, and randomly ordered in patient scans. I will also be rotating through the UW vein clinics.

Just to mirror a lot of guys on the fishing. Ice fishing is great, and many great spots on either of the main lakes for shorecasting. For shore fishing try Fauci or "Second Point," just down the road from Picnic Point. Just a small pamphlet, not in detail but nice they provide it (.pdf). chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://yaharafishingclub.org/Old_Documents/ShoreFishing.pdf

In terms of ranges, we go to 2 public ranges- Columbia, up in Poynette, and Yellowstone, in Blanchardville. Getting a bit burned out on Columbia, to be honest. Too many guys blasting AR's in the shotgun and pistol ranges. Yellowstone is nice. Bristol is a membership club but they do sell day passes. Excellent shotgunning - trap, skeet, and a 5-stand. Winnequah up in Lodi is members-only, but they are serious in their long-range shooting.

Good luck with your internship.

Back