Made $10 on Wolves today

Got an email from Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources today (below).
It seems they are reacting to the judge out west, who says wolves are endangered.
So now, the Wolf pack here, already 5 times to original target population, can continue to grow, to devour pets and livestock.
But hey, I got ten bucks! 🤪

DNR To Refund $10 Application Fee For
2021 Fall Wolf Harvest Permit Or Preference Point

Dear Hunter/Trapper,
Thank you for your interest in the Fall 2021 Wolf Harvest Season. Our records indicate that you submitted an application for a wolf harvest permit or preference point between March 1, 2021 and Aug. 1, 2021.
Following a federal court ruling on Feb. 10, wolves in the lower 48 states were returned to the Federal Endangered Species List. (The ruling excludes wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains region.) Under Wisconsin law, if the wolf is listed on the federal endangered list, the state is not authorized to implement a wolf harvest season.
As a result of this change, the Wisconsin DNR will be refunding your $10 application fee and updating your wolf preference point record to reflect its pre-Fall 2021 application status. Your $10 refund check will be mailed to the address on file in your Go Wild account as of Feb. 24, 2022. You may update your address at this time. Otherwise, there is no additional action required from you.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your refund check.
Other immediate implications of this ruling include the following:
  • Permits allowing lethal removal of wolves issued to landowners experiencing wolf conflicts are no longer valid. The department has contacted permit holders directly.
  • The department is not authorized to use lethal control as part of its conflict management program. Non-lethal tools remain available.
  • The training of dogs to track and trail wolves is not allowed. Dog hunters may no longer pursue wolves for training purposes.
The DNR remains committed to assisting individuals that experience conflicts with wolves through an interagency cooperative agreement with USDA-Wildlife Services for abatement and control.
If you suspect wolves in the depredation of livestock, pets or hunting dogs, or if wolves are exhibiting threatening or dangerous behavior, contact USDA-Wildlife Services staff immediately. If in northern Wisconsin, call 1-800-228-1368 or 715-369-5221; if in southern Wisconsin, call 1-800-433-0663 or 920-324-4514.
For more on wolves in Wisconsin, visit the DNR website for additional information on wolf management and wolf conflict abatement.

Maverick1

WKR
Nice to see them do the right thing and return the $10 if there isn't going to be a hunt. Looks like it will take 4-6 weeks to process. What a fiasco.

def90

WKR
How do you figure that you made $10 when they are just giving the money back that you already gave them?

OP
J
How do you figure that you made $10 when they are just giving the money back that you already gave them?
Wait... What?

I thought my $10 was going towards managing Wolves from overpopulating and terrorizing the cherished Wild game, Livestock and Pets in my State.

But when some smart guy out west, got on his Soapbox and Declared - 'Wolves Are Endangered', It seemed he was doing the Management for Everyone. Everywhere. And I thought I made ten bucks. I got a lot to learn.

You make a good point. Now I'm sad. Thanks.